Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #1

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

OK folks Myrtle Beach S.C is doing everything to make it harder to enjoy a bike ride. They just passed city laws making it easy to loose your bike. You ride without a helmet your bike gets impounded. Even thou its a no helmet state. Your bike exceeds 82 db and your bike gets impounded. To get your bike out of impound you will need to trailor it out of town before you can start it.
The city officials have made it known that they dont want bike week there anymore. Were it will go i have no idea. The city has passed 18 local laws aimed at bikers.
Also all parking garages in Charleston S.C will not let bikers use there facilitys
Have a nice day ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

I'm sorry to hear this for the folks that enjoy riding to Myrtle Beach as well as the folks who live there. I used to drive through SC on my way to NC during the 60's 6-8 times a year. I didn't care much for it then. I rode through this summer on a trip from Fl to Md and the roads I chose were the worst of the entire trip. Now I'm sure there are some nice areas like Charleston or (?) and I don't mean to generalize for the whole state but I won't be making anymore trips through SC for a long while. I don't think they will miss my few tourist dollars anyway. I'll spend them in NC and VA.

Cheers!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #3

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

The ordinances have not been passed yet. Here is the link for the proposed ordinances. http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/proposals.html

The first reading was Sept. 9. If you click on the blue numbers next to the ordinance, and scroll through each actual proposed ordinance, you will see that is not yet a law. It also states when the ordinance becomes law once it is adopted. These will not affect the 2008 rally. Go have a good time. It may be the last fall rally.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

Wow, those new ordinances for Myrtle Beach's City Limits are tough. Especially the loud noise ordinance. Here is a link for that law.

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/PDF...%2008%2068.pdf

Get a load of the helmet law within the city limits. I'm wondering how are they training all law enforcement to know the difference in helmets. Plus I'm not going to ask to see the inside of a helmet to see if it meets the standards of "padding" inside.

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/PDF...pt%2008-64.pdf

It does appear that the city of Myrtle Beach does not want any motorcycle rally's.

Skeet
Aka Karen
Nashville

Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #5

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

Skip the 2008 rally and spend your money else where, that is a big chunk of change that they will wave bye-bye at.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #6

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

I agree with skipping SC altogether. That being said, maybe this generation of (dare I say "older") bikers who have most of the discretionary dollars to spend should inform SC"s state Tourist Bureau that we, our families our bikes, cars and or RV's and most importantly our $$'s will not be visiting their state. We won't be buying their hotel room, food, gas, souvenirs or shopping at their malls and shops. Consequently, we won't be putting ANY tax dollars in their coffers.
Just maybe they will get the message. At least it would be worth a stamp.
mike

Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #7

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

I never have gone to a MB rally. I grew up about 2 1/2 hours from there and just have no desire to spend a weekend with thousands of motorcycles packed in an area that is hard to maneuver anyway. There are several businesses fighting the ordinances and want the rally to stay so it my survive. SC has lots of other tourism to offer. Just my .02.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #8

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

The Carolina's have other places to visit, like 'Parris Island' , just kidding must of been a flashback. Really the Carolina's have some nice beaches and some nice places to visit and ride. The biker community really don't need Myrtle Beach, and like I have already posted- that is a big chunk of change they will lose. Skip it this year and see what happens.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

forget them then. they will miss the revenue that the bikers bring in. spend your money elsewhere.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #10

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

Can a City over ride a state law and either require a helmet (or not require one if the state says that the helmet is needed)?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #11

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

It's amazing how many outside of one community (those who do not ride) want to restrict the freedoms of those who do (the bikers) solely because they don't care for their recreation. We have many in Portland and Salem (our capital) who are doing their best to restrict 4-wheeling in my area. When they are done with that, they want to restict walking on the beach for the Snowy Plover, a bird not native to Oregon, and put in place Marine Reserves to restrict fishing and where they can't put in Marine Reserves, they want Wave Motion Electical Plants, and basically anything else that they can think of to restrict those who are from the area from managing the land closest to them. Sorry about the rant, but sometimes...........grrrrrr!
Rich

Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

It sounds like pro bike people need to run for office there.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

That will never fly in court.. Laconia pulls that crap each year too, and none of it flies in court..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #14

No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

I can understand the longtime residents of MB not wanting the rally. When it was down on the grandstrand, the resident's yards were being used as bathrooms, trash holders, and whatever else was being dished out. My understanding is that the rally event planners have moved it and many vendors are not going to be there. I see both sides of the fence.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to scion0
No Bikes in Myrtle Beach

Sounds like more reason to join the local ABATE or AMA groups.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad