Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Cam chain adjustment extenders: update

Well, after putting it off for some time (errr...like 4000 miles) I finally installed one of Chuckster's cam chain adjustment extenders, and it took less than an hour. Read the complete instructions here:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/cc_tensioner.htm

Of course I did the rear one (the easy one) first. Five things I did made it much faster.

First I did bought a very small ratcheting right angle screwdriver that would take small hex bits. This made access to the allen screws easy, and so (second) I did not have to remove the rear exhaust pipe, as the photos show on Gadget's site. (You could still leave it on and fumble around with regular hex keys, but the tiny ratchet was money well spent.)

Third, I had removed the reed valves and installed coasters long ago. This made it easy to reach around from the other side of the bike to remove and install the big cap.

Fourth, I have a Dremmel with a tiny cutoff wheel which I used to split the steel ring off the shaft.

Fifth, Chuck's machine work was spot on, and the adjuster went on with a nice light press fit. I padded my vice with aluminum and pressed it right together with no fuss. This meant I did not need Loctite, so I didn't have to wait for it to dry.

I was a bit aprehensive about the cam jumping time, as evidently I'd stopped the engine in absolutely the worst position. Both intake and exhaust valves were open, and the valve springs rotated both cams, taking up all the slack in the chain. I had to push the assembled extender in with some force to move the cams enough to get the two allen screws started. After that the ratcheting screwdriver made short work of assembly.

I needn't have worried, as once it was all together the bike started and ran perfectly. Except for the front cam chain which is loose enough that you can make it slap if you chop the throttle with a cold engine.

Another hour or so to do the other side (the "hard" side since the air cleaner must come off and the clearance between cylinders is a bit tight) and I'll be a happy camper.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #2

I've rode over 50K (each) on two different Vulcans, 03 Meanstreak and 05 Nomad, and so far no problems with the cam chains.I sold the Meanstreak in June so it will never be a problem for me. It was at 51,775 when I sold it.I saw the new owner the other day.It now has a tad over 55K and running strong.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

I believe that cam chain wear is multiplied by the kind of riding I do. I ride stop-&-go across town every day. When I'm not doing that I'm hauling a passenger and full luggage up and down the mountains. Also, I do not baby this machine. I often ride it very hard, and it's stood up very well for my money.

Because of this severe duty, however, my bike which has 34,000 miles on the clock probably has as much wear as a bike with 90,000 that's spent its life on the freeway.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #4

I bought a pair of extenders last season, but have not installed them yet. Here in Canada they are a dealer item, so I just had to order a pair. I have turned 50,000 miles a couple weeks ago, and so far there is no chains rubbing, but its probably not to far away.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #5

Cadd, I think you are spot on. Most of my miles are highway miles at steady speeds. It is not uncommon for me to get on the bike and only shift up through the gears two or three times in a hundred miles.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #6

There are 29 stop lights or signs between my house and my office. Thank God I don't hit every one red!

On an average day I'll stop at least a dozen times each way.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
There are 29 stop lights or signs between my house and my office. Thank God I don't hit every one red!

On an average day I'll stop at least a dozen times each way.

You must be used to it... because that would drive me nuts.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #8

I get a lot of practice launching the bike. I normally filter through traffic at the lights, so when the green light hits I am out in front.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Well, after putting it off for some time (errr...like 4000 miles) I finally installed one of Chuckster's cam chain adjustment extenders, and it took less than an hour. Read the complete instructions here:

Of course I did the rear one (the easy one) first. Five things I did made it much faster.

First I did bought a very small ratcheting right angle screwdriver that would take small hex bits. This made access to the allen screws easy, and so (second) I did not have to remove the rear exhaust pipe, as the photos show on Gadget's site. (You could still leave it on and fumble around with regular hex keys, but the tiny ratchet was money well spent.)

Third, I had removed the reed valves and installed coasters long ago. This made it easy to reach around from the other side of the bike to remove and install the big cap.

Fourth, I have a Dremmel with a tiny cutoff wheel which I used to split the steel ring off the shaft.

Fifth, Chuck's machine work was spot on, and the adjuster went on with a nice light press fit. I padded my vice with aluminum and pressed it right together with no fuss. This meant I did not need Loctite, so I didn't have to wait for it to dry.

I was a bit aprehensive about the cam jumping time, as evidently I'd stopped the engine in absolutely the worst position. Both intake and exhaust valves were open, and the valve springs rotated both cams, taking up all the slack in the chain. I had to push the assembled extender in with some force to move the cams enough to get the two allen screws started. After that the ratcheting screwdriver made short work of assembly.

I needn't have worried, as once it was all together the bike started and ran perfectly. Except for the front cam chain which is loose enough that you can make it slap if you chop the throttle with a cold engine.

Another hour or so to do the other side (the "hard" side since the air cleaner must come off and the clearance between cylinders is a bit tight) and I'll be a happy camper.
\\say. does this "chain slap" sound like a lifter noise? my nomad is pushing 78,000 miles, and i thought i have lifter noise, could it be tha chains? i might do this repair just in case. thanks!

Jesus

Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanero03
...does this "chain slap" sound like a lifter noise? my nomad is pushing 78,000 miles, and i thought i have lifter noise, could it be tha chains? ...
It does sort of, but louder and heavier than the lifters on a Vulcan, and it's worse when the engine's cold and you chop the throttle.

If you have any doubt, just screw the adjuster caps off & see how far they're extended. The measurement instructions are here:

Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #11

thanks, i think this article saved my engine, i was almost sure i was gonna need lifters very soon, the funny thing that caught my ear, a few weeks ago everything went quiet, smooth, and on my last ride up to north nevada, on labor day weekend, it started to make noise again, so i suspect the plunger had gone to the last step, and after that it can no longer adjust the chain. i will pop the rear cap tonight an look at the plunger. matter of fact, i will shoot pictures and if they are fully gone, i will post them, maybe they can help someone else

Old 09-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:
thanks, i think this article saved my engine, i was almost sure i was gonna need lifters very soon, the funny thing that caught my ear, a few weeks ago everything went quiet, smooth, and on my last ride up to north nevada, on labor day weekend, it started to make noise again, so i suspect the plunger had gone to the last step, and after that it can no longer adjust the chain. i will pop the rear cap tonight an look at the plunger. matter of fact, i will shoot pictures and if they are fully gone, i will post them, maybe they can help someone else
something else i forgot to mention, i was running it hard, 95-100 miles an hour steady, and as soon as o dropped to 75 the noise dominished or almost went away, and as soon i open the throttle, and picked up speed, within minutes the noise became more audible. so, yes, i will definitely check that tensioner tonight. thanks again to all for the invaluable amoiunt of information that is continuosly posted on this forum. i hope to ride with you guys on the ride to yosemite, gotta find that thread.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #13

We're riding to Sequoia/King's Canyon, and you're welcome to come. Look here:

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=4967

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
...does this "chain slap" sound like a lifter noise? my nomad is pushing 78,000 miles, and i thought i have lifter noise, could it be tha chains? ...
It does sort of, but louder and heavier than the lifters on a Vulcan, and it's worse when the engine's cold and you chop the throttle.

If you have any doubt, just screw the adjuster caps off & see how far they're extended. The measurement instructions are here:

well, i did pop the cap off the rear cylinder and guess what? they are slightly more than 5/16 of an inch inwards of the flush area of the main body. soooo, yes! they are gone! i must dio this repair asap. my question is,, how many more miles can we get out of the chains, i assume the engineers at the factory built in som limit of travel of the chain before touching internal parts. your thoughts??

Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #15

Good question...

I can only guess that once you use the extenders, and the chains get to that new limit, then that's it.

Maybe Chuckster can tell us, as he's the guy machining these parts.