Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Turbulence

Before I purchased my Nomad, I read a lot about rider head turbulence at higher speeds due to the wind coming under the windshield. It was loudly suggested that larger lowers would reduce that.

I purchased a set of the Edmonds lowers and it DID reduce the amount of turbulence at high speeds, but not to the degree I had hoped or expected.

About that same time, I also purchased a one-piece engine guard chap from Airlite. It was still mid-summer here, so my plan was to wait until the weather turned cooler to put it on, then take it off again next summer.

I put it on today before the wife and I did a 150 mile tour simply because morning temps were a tad chilly and I wanted to check it out.

Almost by accident what I discovered is that the combination of the larger lowers AND the one-piece engine guard chap reduced my high-speed turbulence to almost nothing!

Usually at around 70 mph my sunglasses start to shimmy around just a bit. For this reason I usually will wear goggles for a long highway run. I was amazed that I could run up to about 90 mph (fast as I dared go at the time) and my shades stayed smooth as a baby's butt.

My original plan was to take the engine guard chap on and off with the seasons. Although my gas mileage might take a hit...given the immense improvement in the ride, I think that thing is on to stay!

Just thought I would share...

VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

Turbulence

My engine bar chaps also reduces the buffeting... but mine has a screen across the radiator and it (slightly) reduces the air flow. I found that I run a bit hotter (fan comes on more often) when I use the chaps.

Just something to think about.

Michae K

Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Turbulence

I took the screen out because mine made my Nomad run hotter as well. Now it's no problem

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #4

Turbulence

When I bought mine it already had the chaps, and I love them. They are convenient and great when I ride in the rain (it has been a lousy summer up here!). The previous owner had them custom made, so I will have to find someone to "modify" them in order to add some highway pegs, but as long as heat is not an issue, I'd recommend them.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Turbulence

Blowndodge,
Without going out and looking at mine...just curious...did you physically cut the screen out or did you remove the stitching then re-sew it back together...? Thx.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #6

Turbulence

I have the Edmonds lowers, and my shield is adjusted to the lowest setting. A little turbulence, but we're riding motorycles here. LOL! I am thinking about adding the crash bar leg lower deflectors (not the chaps) later. Haven't decided yet.
I never wear sun glasses unless I'm wearing a full-face helmet. I wear a 3/4 helmet most of the time, and then, I wear goggle-style sunglasses, either with the strap, or with the earpieces. Even wearing the goggles, I have had a bug or two come in there with my eye. I would be afraid to wear sunglasses for that reason, alone.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Turbulence

I too own the Airlite engine guard chaps and I love them from fall thur winter. I left my screen and dont notice any more hotter engine. Does help with turbulence where larger lowers did not do alot.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #8

Turbulence

bet that keeps the cold off your legs a good bit to huh? Just curious. Try to ride year round but there a few weeks out of the year that make it a miserable joker

Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #9

Turbulence

Hey netnorske where is your windshield set? Can you look over it?

I don't seem to have bad helmet buffeting unless theres a strong crosswind. I look over my windshield, have stock lowers and go bar guards.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Turbulence

I have it set at its lowest setting and I look just over the top.

I think the degree of buffeting is open to the interpretation of each individual rider. What may seem like aggressive buffeting to one rider may just be a good breeze to another.

Like Smokey said...we are riding motorcycles, so you have to expect some buffeting for sure.

I just find that for long cruises at higher speeds, the less buffeting you have, the more comfortable you are and less fatigued, allowing you to ride longer distances.

I was really impressed with the combination of larger lowers and the one piece engine guard chap in reducing high speed buffeting to a very minimal amount. It makes for a very pleasurable ride... :)!
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #11

Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradontexas
bet that keeps the cold off your legs a good bit to huh? Just curious. Try to ride year round but there a few weeks out of the year that make it a miserable joker
I've only had my bike for a month and a half, but have already had to ride in the rain three times (all but 1 1/2 miles is on Hwy 101). The chaps have kept my legs dry the whole way. I love them and would encourage others to check them out. They definitely will extend my riding season, but for those in the desert Southwest or along the gulf coast, I'm sure they are not difficult to put on and take off.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #12

Turbulence

I put on a set of the airlite chaps as well and find I like them a lot. It did help some with the wind turbulence some. But what stopped the helmet buffeting completely was tilting the windshield, also I may not have to cut it down in size.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Turbulence

sounds like a tilt is what I need, the nad feels like a barn going down the hiway as far as turbulence is concerned. lowers don't help, nothing I have tried helps. sounds like the tilt might be hard but who knows.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #14

Turbulence

I know Chuck Burt had the Airlite on his Nomad even in the summer. He said he bought that one specifically because it cuts out more of the buffeting as well as any road spray when it rains. I plan to get one sometime down the road.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #15

Turbulence

To Doc (lonewolf) Go to http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm#easy scroll down third one (Angle Your Nomad Windshield & Reduce or Eliminate Buffeting ) it has some good pictures. my 08 i think is a little different but I'm was still able to use the zip ties to try it out. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it permanent yet .