Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Clutch Seal

I replaced the clutch push rod seal about 5000 miles ago, it was leaking. All was well until yesterday. Changed the oil the day before, did not note any leaking, all was well. Went for a long ride, got off for a rest, and noted a leak, fresh oil from the same place as prior to changing the seal. Checked the oil, down some but still within the normal zone. When I got home (130miles) I dove into the problem. The seal had popped out. Now I must admit, when I changed the seal, I did not push it in till flush, but it was in most all the way. I was concerned about pushing it thru, you know, into that chamber behind the small hole the seal goes into. This time I put a small amount of gasket seal around the outer edge of the seal prior to pushing it in flush this time. Put it back together, and it has set overnight. Will ride later to see the outcome. Is this a bad design or what ? What is to keep this seal in place, no edge or anything... If it come out, it could go in and fall into that mystery chamber, and that would be a real bummer ! ??? Has anyone but me had this happen ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Clutch Seal

....actually, it happens quite often. You have taken the proper steps to keep it in place! Good job, and your problem with it coming out is most likely over. It is kinda a bit of poor design, I think.
!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #3

Clutch Seal

It appears to me that a ridge on the back side of the hole would prevent the seal from going all the way thru into the cavity. Or a seal that has a ridge on the top to serve the same purpose. This would also aid in getting enough gasket seal to properly hold the seal from coming out. Hello Mother Kaw... can you hear me?!?

Oh, thank you "LOMAX" for your response, that will give me a touch more confidence in my repair.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #4

Clutch Seal

I had the same thing happen to me on my 2007. Dealer applied some silicone to keep it in.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #5

Clutch Seal

Did this a while back w/65,000 kms on my 06....used permatex

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #6

Clutch Seal

Forgive my ignorance as I can be mechanically inept on some things, like clutches. My question: did you have a leak coming from the primary? Resulting in oil coming out and dripping down near the kickstand spring?

Or am I way the hell off base?

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Clutch Seal

bk ....the seal doc replaced is on the left side, under the clutch slave cylinder, and yes, when it leaks engine oil, it usually drips down in the area of the kickstand spring. If the clutch slave cylinder leaks, it will drip brake fluid to the same area.

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Clutch Seal

Took the bike to the shop today to get an oil leak fixed. I've been leaking a small amount of oil after rides (rather than a constant leak) under the primary cover, coming down by the kickstand spring. It was in about a week ago and they thought it could be either the seal or the gaskets. They didn't have tohe gaskets on hand but would order them. The guys thought it would be best to order the gaskets and bring it back in rather than tear the primary down, see it was a gasket problem and not have them handy. If it turned out to be something other than the gaskets, I wouldn't be paying for them, of course, they would just go on the shelf for a future repair. It wasn't a bad enough leak to keep it grounded.

So, today was the day. Went in bright and early, with book and MP3 player in hand. A short time later, the service manager came out and said it wasn't as bad as it might have been. It turns out the oil seal in the slave cylinder popped out. They popped it back in and don't know why it happens but, it does. They weren't aware of it happening often or repeatedly. They seemed to think it should be good to go. They did mention that if it happened again, they might need to order new parts and try something else. I'm happy it wasn't the gaskets as that would have been longer and more expensive than it was.

I see many of you have had the problem and popped it back with one type of adhesive or another. I'm assuming that pretty much took care of it permanently.

I do have a question for all ..... Has anyone just popped the seal back in and not had any trouble? Or, should I expect it to pop out again?

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #9

Clutch Seal

IT WILL BE OUT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

Next time fix it yourself ( it's easy ) or take it to the shop and tell them to use a good gasket sealer, or high temp silicone. I can't believe this shop said they had not seen this much.... This is a poor design, and you would be lucky if it didn't come out. At the factory, it would be sooooo easy to just do it right the first time, and use a sealant or just re design the darn thing so it doesn't pop out so easy.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Clutch Seal

Aren't shops wonderful????

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005