Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Advanced Member

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

I just did steering head bearings,new tires and wheel bearings in the front. I have always had a front end wobble at about 35-40 on decel,but after doing theses things it seems to be worse. I have checked the swingarm for slop side to side, checked the steering head for to loose no slop there either. The only thing i can think of is mayby bad rear shocks or mayby the front forks are to low in the triple calmps so the front end would be to high. running 40psi front and 42 rear me880s bias front and back. Any thoughts I am open to any suggestions.....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

Off subject, but did you really deliver that big screen television on the back of your nomad? lol And do you ride it on that ramp in the background? ;0)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Advanced Member

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

Yes i did carry that tv on the back. I won it at my company picnic. 32" flat screen. As for the jump that is for my other bike.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #4

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

I can't be much help. I'm also runnning 40 42 with the ME880's and I haven't noticed anything. Just curious, is the wobble that pronounced or is it only when you take your hands off the bars?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #5

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

When you loosen the triple clamps and axle there's a procedure to align the front end so the fork tubes are co-planar (not tweaked ;) )

Did you do that procedure?

Also, I'd get the wheels up and spin those tires by hand and look at them carefully as they turn. Do they run true or do they wobble? Are there any bulges or irregularities in the tires?

Have you tried raising the shock air pressures to see if that helps? Mine seems to wobble more on decel if the shock pressure is low.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Advanced Member

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

i have messed with the shock pressure I am running 20psi and 111 on the commpression setting mayby i should try 35-40. caddman where did you find the procedure for alligning the forks with the axel? All i could find was how to set the front axel.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #7

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

I'll go look it up and get back.

Also, I just realized that you put a shorter rear tire on, so that might have an impact as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #8

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

This is what Gadget says:
Get the front wheel back on the ground and with the front tire butted against something solid (wall, garage door, cabinet...) repeatedly pump the front end up and down as far and fast as you can both pushing and lifting on the handlebar at least half a dozen times. DO NOT use the front brake because the calipers clamping on the disks might prevent the legs from centering themselves. This procedure will align the fork tubes for the smoothest possible operation.

When you're finished with the above tighten the axle pinch bolt (25 ft lbs) and go ride with your forks riding at exactly the same height, possibly for the first time ever."

My feeling is that this should be done with the upper pinch bolts and chrome top-nut slightly loose as well, to allow the trees to center.

Oh, yeah...that 25 ft-lbs is for 1500's. I think 1600's use 16 ft-lbs.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Advanced Member

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

I thought about that to with a slightly shorter tire and the front end higher up mayby its running to light in the front end. Also how far do your forks stick out of the top triple clamp?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Advanced Member

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

CaddmannQ I did all that with the front axel and that helped alot, but the problem is still there. i think im going to snug up the steering stem a little more and see if that helps>

Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #11

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
I thought about that to with a slightly shorter tire and the front end higher up mayby its running to light in the front end. Also how far do your forks stick out of the top triple clamp?
They don't stick up. They're held down 1/16" into the top clamp, but remember I have a 1500 & the forks are different. On mine there's a little chrome-plated plastic cap that sticks up a little, but that's all it is: just a trim cap.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #12

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

I think the factory torque on the steering stem is just a tad low for my taste. I tightened mine a bit more than the recommended 14 lbs as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
Advanced Member

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

How do you torque the stem bearing down? mine is a round nut with notches in it i use a spanner wrench to tighten mine. Do you actually tourque yous or do you go by feel?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #14

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

I have a cheapo socket I ground down to have a couple lugs on it. I use it with a torque wrench.

Even so, it's hard to trust any reading that is so low, on a bolt that is such a large diameter. Any speck of dust throws the reading off.

The way I really set it is the same way I always set a bike: Tighten it gently until the steering just starts to bind, then back it off until it's just smooth again. Of course the front wheel must be off the ground.

What you don't want to do is torque that nut down until the rollers dent the races, but I doubt you'd ever tighten it that hard.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

FRONT END WOBBLE???????

Just curious, was there any grease in the head bearings?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it