Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-20-2021, 02:06 AM   #1

2021 Voyager. couple of upgrade questions

Installed the RoadShark Slip-ons, my neighbors hate me. Anyone wrap their baffles? If so, what thickness insulation did you use? Also, I saw on here a guy used some type of 3M Carbon “sticky” product to cover the chrome on top of his tank. Does anyone know what it is and where to get it. I think he also used it on top of his saddlebags to reduce scuffs. Lowes and Home Depot had no idea what I was talking about and I don’t know what it is called. That chrome blinds me on sunny days.
Last, GPS. Am I really going to have to pay $550+ for a decent GPS? I don’t need to know where the best off-road trails are and I do all my moto-camping at a Marriott. I just want Maps, road conditions, Weather, WiFi and a way to get Un-Lost. Oh, and I want a (close to) 6” screen. Is TomTom any good? I know high price doesn’t make it better (learned that from Cardo Bold with JBL speakers) but is there a less expensive alternative for what I want? Ok. I’m done. It’s 11:38 pm PST so I’ll start my Christmas shopping tomorrow…or the next day.
In the spirit of the holidays I hope you give and receive kindness from those you hold close and wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Spooker; 12-20-2021 at 02:44 AM.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:15 AM   #2

GPS that I think has pretty well gone out of favor with the cell phone technology of the day. Who needs them pull out your favorite cell phone and punch in the address and where you are going and whoooo hoooo Google Maps will lead you there with voice commands also. More up to date maps on Google Maps and the weather also is up to date. No belonging to a GPS server and paying out some extra money that you can put in your gas tank and ride further.

If you have a helmet with sound and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth it will connect your phone for calls, let you listen to music, talk to passengers or another rider and get voice commands on cell phone on where to turn and so on. Is not technology grand.

I think now they are trying to sell of the last batch of GPS that they will ever make. It is old technology and you will become disconnected allot more with GPS than a reliable carrier by cell phones.

I have not used a GPS in years Mr. Google is my best friend now.

Last edited by buckey1313; 12-20-2021 at 04:20 AM.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #3

Thanks, Buckey. I think you just saved me $500! merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #4

Just my opinion: Personally, I hate using my phone as a GPS.

The tech may be better now, but I have had trouble in the past with the phone overheating on hot summer days while charging and trying to do too many other things, including being a GPS. That was also before they had weatherproof inductive chargers for handlebars, so my phone battery got drained from the GPS and I couldn't charge it. That aspect might be better with inductive charging and newer phones.

I have also never liked how any phone nav app worked. I've tried about 20 and none of them worked for me as well as a dedicated GPS, especially for planning routes ahead of time. I've done a lot of long distance riding, and I usually don't have a lot of time to meander aimlessly to my destination, so I like having my routes saved and ready to go in my GPS. I never found an app that let me make routes easily, the way I want them, and let me save them for later use.

I like my TomTom Rider 400. It's worth what I paid for it, to me. There is a newer model Rider out now with improvements, but mine serves me just fine. I have the TomTom charging/locking mount so I can charge it regardless of the weather, and it goes to sleep when I turn the key off. I connect it to my helmet set through my phone with Bluetooth.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:09 AM   #5

I've been in so many places without cell service, I'll keep my real GPS

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Telephone and gps are two opportunities with their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the phone like Dave but I also take the GPS on the Vaq in case of need. Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarticus View Post
I've been in so many places without cell service, I'll keep my real GPS

same here...cheap phone crappie service.....

Old 12-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I have my GPS on at all times, mainly to check my speed accurately. I only turn on my phone when I get off the bike.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #9

GPS over the cellphone. I use a Garmin car one put in a waterproof case. You can get one with a 5" screen that you can make your own maps and up load the. I use Honda map maker for that.
https://tripplanner.honda.com/#/mytrips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Naviga...7P1BC7M6&psc=1
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 12-23-2021, 10:48 PM   #10

Went with the Zumo XT. $399 on eBay.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #11

That's a good price, and the XT is a great GPS. I use mine constantly, and highly recommend the visor from Wunderlich

I'm also firmly in the "prefer GPS" category. Much rather that, especially a bike-specific one like the XT, than a device that does a lot of things, but not very well.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)