Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #1

Slow ride skills

Check out Robert Simmons Paying it Forward videos on YouTube. Lots of good info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Top Contributor

meh. I can ride slower than that BACKWARDS!
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Good stuff to practice. I can do the MSF tight turns, tight turns from a stop and the 24' wide u-turn box on my Classic 1600. Took some practice and technique to do versus how easy it is for me to do on my BMW R1200RT.

Jerry Paladino also has a bunch of good riding tips, slow riding tips, stability tips to learn and practice from his Ride Like a Pro videos on youtube. Well worth watching and practicing. The confidence you get from getting good at these exercises do wonders for your riding in general. ANYONE who cannot effectively make a RH turn from a stop from the far RH lane to next closest RH lane should get the training. I have seen way too many riders turn wide on RH turns for no reason other than lack of confidence and skills. I have seen many riders turn really wide RH turns into the oncoming lane because the rider doesn't have a the visual/clutch/throttle skills to get it done right, and quite often the rider is dragging/dangling their boots over the road while doing it wrong.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
Advanced Member

i just watched a Jerry Paladino ride like a pro video on riding curves and he says the bike will go where your head and eyes are looking, some guy was looking at the ditch and that's where he ended up

Old 12-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
Advanced Member

That part of visual control is exactly what I teach on the small track at Road America in the Street Skills classes; visual control is the highest riding skill to develop and actively use. Without strong and accurate visual control all the other aspects of riding suffer. Just like a great quarterback or batter, those with the highest visual skills are most successful.

We do an exercise on the big sweeping turn where I tell the riders to pass a cone before looking/pressing/leaning into the turn to get to a specific exit point of the turn. As the exercise progresses I move the entry cone deeper into the turn causing the rider to look more to the turn exit and maintain throttle and press into the turn, without entering the turn at a slower speed. The emphasis is the RIDER controls the lean and line through the turn, IF the rider knows how to direct the bike to the turn exit. This gets the rider away from letting the bike and their eyes go to the wrong path.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 12-21-2020 at 08:29 PM.