Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

The Best TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

I have been using the Doran TPMS for years on my 4 Motorcycles and last year they stopped supporting them. Seems they had the Company that made their Circuit Boards go out of business. Reasons I liked them so much was they had a Large Very Bright RED Light powered by the Motorcycle that warned you of impending disaster should your Tire Pressure suddenly drop even a small amount, I always located this Alert RED LED in or part of my Dash display.

Plus the TPMS Monitor was also powered by the Motorcycle Electrical System and actually showed the Pressure on each Tire and would display these Pressures should the Motorcycle be idle overnight or longer period. The OEM Pressure Monitoring Systems pretty all require that the Vehicles be operational with Tires rotating a certain RPM before they would turn on. (This is to save the Battery Life)

I want to know what my Tire Pressure is in my Garage before I leave not down the Road! This brought the biggest problem with the Doran TPMS as their Batteries would fail sooner as they are always active. So I always had to remove them over the Winter to double the Battery life as with no tire pressure being detected they would turn off. Also another problem with their superior system was the Batteries were not replaceable and we were forced to buy replacement Senders complete at a very high cost.

So using tips from another Goldwing Club Member I devised a Method to cut open the Doran Senders (With Dermal Tool), replace the CR2032 Battery then reseal with HPD Extra Thick Maxi-Cure Cyanoacryylate and HPD Accelerator INSTA-SET Spray. Luckly I had hept my old Failed Doran Sending Units (26 to be exact).

Now thinking I am OK for another 3 Years I am finding about half of my repaired Senders are having minor leaks primarily because of material removed when cutting the Units with the Dermal Tool. These can be repaired by coating the tops of the Sending Units with Maxi-Cure but this covers the Special Code Number unique to each Sender Unit needed to synchronize with the Monitor Unit.

Finding it a lot of precise work to be able to keep repairing these units and in the future losing even more material each time I use the Dermal.

So my next project is using these CR2032 Coin Button Battery Holder Socket Plastic Cell Round Battery Case Cover Wire Leads Cable Type with ON/Off Switch (10 of Pack) $17.90 Canadian Dollars (Even Cheaper in USA) Available from Amazon. I will be able seal up the Doran Sending Units with just the wires exposed and attaching these Battery Holders. Since they are made to hold 2 CR2032 Batteries in series giving 6 Volt Output, I can reduce the Output to needed 3 Volts by inserting a Dime Coin in place of the bottom CR2032 Battery. Yes these CR2032 Coin Button Holder have Screw on Lids to easily replace Batteries and with the Off/On Slide Switch the Batteries are spared during winter. To keep these units water proof as the Switch has small opening I will be using Dielectric Paste.

Northern Dancer,

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #2

I have a Tiregard TPMS. I keep it hanging from my phone RAM mount so I can see it quickly, but it is not as good as the warning light you described. I have to turn it so I can see the display.

They do have a handlebar mounted controller that is also weatherproof. The fob is not, so I pocket it in a zip lock bag as soon as I can when it rains hard. Neither controller uses the bike's power. At least the bar mounted version is easy to see, even if it doesn't have a bright red warning light, but I think it does flash with an orange background when pressure drops below or rises above programmed set points. The key fob vibrates/buzzes and flashes, but you really can't feel or hear it, so only the flashing is useful as a warning. Someday, I'll probably get the handlebar mounted control or switch to a TPMS that sends signals to a smart phone so I can hear the warnings in my helmet.

The batteries in the sensors are very easy to replace. The caps screw off, but they seal well when put back on and I've never had one come off or leak in 10s of thousands of miles of use.

You can get a reading before you pull out by giving each tire a good whack with a rubber mallet. When I'm on long trips, I usually take one with me in my trailer tool kit. You are not going to hurt the tire if you hit it squarely in the middle of the tread. This is also a good test for the batteries in the sensor. If they are getting weak, the sensors will not come on until you are moving. The batteries last a very long time since they do shut down when not moving for a while. I replace the fob batteries far more often than the sensor batteries.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #3

I had used the Fobo system, it went dead. Happened as soon as the FOBO II came out....I got the Fobo 2, works like a charm. Nice thing is, the display/sounds can be used on your phone.
I have my phone slaved to my Sena head set. When my bike tire loses pressure, Star Trek General Quarters plays over my Sena.
But since my app runs on my phone, it links to the sensors every time I go out into the shop....
Its good to have several to choose from....and choose the best ones for your bike and style....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

I really like the TPMS on the Zumo 595. It will show the actual cold pressure as soon as I roll it out the garage. It will come up with a red warning on the GPS if the pressure is below the safe limit set. It will give you a running graph of the tire pressure history. The batteries are very easy to replace and the sensors turn off when bike is parked.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

Reasons Why Happy with Doran TPMS & Tire Choice

Riding North on I-75 Florida Center Lane at speeds 75 to 80Mph on my Loaded Goldwing, both Rider & Passenger Boots, Leathers, ETC North of 250Lbs each, plus Loaded Saddlebags, & Top Case, plus Carrier on Top case piled high (Motorcycle easily exceeding 1,700 Lbs). We hear a loud noise indicating we hit something then the Doran TPMS Large Bright RED LED starts flashing. Observed the Doran illuminated large Digit pressure reading dropping like a rock. Start thinking my God we going to be dead at this speed heavy traffic loaded so heavy.

Miracle or miracle Motorcycle does not wiggle and crossed one lane of Traffic stopping successfully on paved side of Road using Front Brake. Had to put Helmet under left Rear Crash Bar to hold Motorcycle upright as side stand was useless in this circumstance.

Now why I feel why we survived this:

My Choice of Rear Tire that I have used over 100,000 Miles with 3 Spares stored in my cool Basement coated with Armor All to prevent aging. Picture shows the SP5000 Rear Tire Tread + 1 Polyester + 2 Steel + 1 Nylon & Sidewall 2 Polyester, Max Load rating 1,270 LBS, Max Flange Shield - Helps protect rims from accidental curb damage which has added benefit of pinching Rim or Bead Locking when Tire is deflated. Picture shows Rim is 1 1/2-Inches above Payment with Zero Air. Another Picture shows that a foreign Object has cut through the Center of Tire Tread the Size of a Quarter with the Flap reaching the inside of Tire causing such rapid deflation.

My Choice of Doran TPMS that has a excellent large very bright RED LED that really gets your attention Plus a Pressure Monitor display that has large digits illuminated for Day/Night vision.

We were able to power up onto a Flat Bed Truck which let us off at a 8 Bay Garage with 6 Hoists. They explained they do not work on Motorcycles but I said no problem, Laid Goldwing on its Right Crash Bars, put block of Wood under extended Center Stand to raise Rear Wheel off Floor, Removed 5 Bolts holding Rear Wheel. They ordered a replacement Rear Tire and we were on the Road again in 2 Hours to get to Dark Side Rally in Virginia next day.

I use the FOBO TPMS for my Car as once installed you still get alerts by its Monitor and do not need you Cell Phone, that Monitor doesn't come with the Motorcycle Version of FOBO. So with the FOBO on a Motorcycle the CELL Phone is Mandatory. I have yet to find any other TPMS that fills my needs like the DORAN TPMS.

So with my latest method to enable easy battery replacement of its cheap CR2032 Battery in the Sending Units I am able to continue using it for years to come even though they have stopped making them.

Northern Dancer,

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2020, 05:35 AM   #6

If I had 26 failed sending units, I'd be looking for another brand TPMS. Mine is a Steelmate TP-90 unit I found on AliExpress for (then) well under $100... The batteries in the senders are replaceable (and I've not had to change them in the 3 1/2 years I've had the system), they alert me with a loud alarm & flashing red light on the dash if there's any sudden drop in pressure, and check pressure as soon as I roll the bike out of my garage. Excellent little bit of kit, saved my butt several times now.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 07-14-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Edit: Steelmate, not Steeltracker (those are shocks)

Old 07-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Do any of these systems mount inside the wheel on the valve stem.
I don’t like the ones that screw on the valve stem.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 07-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #8

I prefer the ones that screw on the valve stem - simply for ease of access to change the battery. Plenty of units on AliExpress offer a choice though, internal or external sensors.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
If I had 26 failed sending units, I'd be looking for another brand TPMS. Mine is a Steelmate TP-90 unit I found on AliExpress for (then) well under $100... The batteries in the senders are replaceable (and I've not had to change them in the 3 1/2 years I've had the system), they alert me with a loud alarm & flashing red light on the dash if there's any sudden drop in pressure, and check pressure as soon as I roll the bike out of my garage. Excellent little bit of kit, saved my butt several times now.
Tiregard has both internal and external sensors. I also prefer external sensors for ease of battery change. I only use metal valve stems for the external sensors and have never had a problem.

The fob from my first Tiregard set was damaged beyond use when I was in an accident that totaled that bike (I was run off the road; nothing to do with tire pressure). The sensors still work and I keep them for backup. I agree with Peg, 26 failed sensor units is not a good sign. At that rate of failure, the chances of one failing right when you need it the most does not give me warm fuzzies. I had about 35,000 miles on the first set and about 22,000 miles so far on the current set with no sensor failures. I think I get about 10,000 miles between battery changes.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #10

With the FOBO 2 sensors, I have issues where it will not pick up the rear tire. Somedays FT RT pop up on my phone. Other days only the FT will update. Went for a 60 mile ride and the RT was still showing a reading from 1 day ago. I sent the units back but the new ones do the same thing.

I have DL the firmware but did not need, I have released the unit and re loaded it on the phone. FOBO 2 has not answered any of my email's etc..

Might have to go to another brand but I do not want too.

Anyone have issues with the FOBO 2????
VBA #02943

Old 07-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #11

Regarding 26 Sending Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Tiregard has both internal and external sensors. I also prefer external sensors for ease of battery change. I only use metal valve stems for the external sensors and have never had a problem.

The fob from my first Tiregard set was damaged beyond use when I was in an accident that totaled that bike (I was run off the road; nothing to do with tire pressure). The sensors still work and I keep them for backup. I agree with Peg, 26 failed sensor units is not a good sign. At that rate of failure, the chances of one failing right when you need it the most does not give me warm fuzzies. I had about 35,000 miles on the first set and about 22,000 miles so far on the current set with no sensor failures. I think I get about 10,000 miles between battery changes.
++++++++++++++
Mind you I have been Using DORAN TPMS on (4) Four Motorcycles for 14 Years -- Seeing as how that would be (8) Sender Units to Start or when first Installed, that leaves 18 Sending Units had been replaced because batteries could not be replaced -- Remember I have (4) Motorcycles each with (2) Senders which means just over 2 Replacements each Motorcycle in a 14 Year Period (NOT BAD)

The Doran Monitor shows "ON" when everything is Good then immediately Flashes the Bright RED LED should a Battery Fail with Message "NSP" or in case of a sudden loss of Air pressure identifies which Tire and existing Pressure. So there is no risk of Doran Unit not being Operational without You knowing.

So Cheap skate Me I choose not to replace (4) known good TPMS Systems with (4) replacement TPMS Systems but rather devise an easy way to replace these Batteries and share this Info with Club Members. There may be lots of Club Members who have been using Doran TPMS and would benefit with this Knowledge.

Northern Dancer,