Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Noticing a difference in driving habits

I like to accelerate hard from stop lights, but there are certain ones on my main travel street that you will always catch the next one red no matter what.

I usually coast up to that one trying to time it so that it turns green right before I get there. It used to be that cars would catch me from behind as I was coasting up and jump in front of me. That left me having to stop also, most of the time.

I noticed that with the price of gas up, not as many cars try to catch me and jump in. More of them are content to coast up and try to catch it green too.

Anyone else seeing a difference in driving patterns?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #2

Not that much difference here. Everybody seems to still drive like they don't wanna live all that much longer.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #3

Noticed a lot more people staying close to 70 mph rather than 80 to 85 on the interstate down here.
Joe

Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #4

I have noticed abit of difference,,On the Maine Tpk they are staying aroud 70MPH..Posted 65MPH.. Used to be TONs doing 80MPH!!! so here they slowed a bit......Rich

Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Me too dan. There's a movement going on called, I believe, "hypermileing". I've been doing it to some degree and it does make a difference. If I know I won't make the next light up ahead because it's green and I'm 200 or more yards away and it's been green ( I know the timing in my neighborhood) I put my diesel truck in neutral and coast the rest of the way.

Once in a while someone will honk at me but who give a F huh? I almost never come to a complete stop when driving like this and I get home in the same amount of time.

I also never drive over 65 on the freeway or highway in my truck anymore since that is the speed limit around here.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Me too dan. There's a movement going on called, I believe, "hypermileing". I've been doing it to some degree and it does make a difference. If I know I won't make the next light up ahead because it's green and I'm 200 or more yards away and it's been green ( I know the timing in my neighborhood) I put my diesel truck in neutral and coast the rest of the way.

Once in a while someone will honk at me but who give a F huh? I almost never come to a complete stop when driving like this and I get home in the same amount of time.

I also never drive over 65 on the freeway or highway in my truck anymore since that is the speed limit around here.
I think I was behind you on the freeway the other day. Were your ears burning? Never mind, you're probably used to that.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Advanced Member

When I drive my SUV I'll lollylag down the road until somebody starts coming up on me and then I'll keep the speed limit. With my motorcycle I try to keep within +5 mph of the speed limit, but only so I don't get a speeding ticket. My job depends on a clean driving record. I only notice a slight slowing down of most other people on the road.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I've noticed a lot less cars on the road.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddman11
I've noticed a lot less cars on the road.
Same here - less cars on the road....traffic is definately lighter.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #10

Traffic is notoriously light this time of year around Nashville. I guess due to school being out. What I have noticed is more and more people riding in the right lane on I40 under the speed limit and even in the left lane. The right lane messes up the truckers, who have a hard enough time with the hills without having to slow down to 50mph in a 70mph, the left lane, well, you know what happens when you have two people side by side at 50mph with only two lanes.

I've also noticed that when gas hits $4 around here, seems almost everyone drives more courteous. When it started going back under $4, then they start getting back to run over you if you don't get outa my way.

One more thing...I smile everytime I leave the gas station since I got my nomad. Consistently 45mpg when riding one up and around 35-40 when two up.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Not that much difference here. Everybody seems to still drive like they don't wanna live all that much longer.

+1 Same here. Although, I have noticed slot fewer vehicles on the road on weekends. Oddly enough, I've been seeing many more bicycle riders around town.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #12

The milder driving habits haven't trickled down to San Diego that I can tell.... but a little less traffic I have noticed....... definitely more motorcycles... :)

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #13

Yes I have noticed a difference. I drive an 89 Dodge 1 ton diesel. With my foot in it I may get 12mpg. If I mosey she'll do near 17mpg. Should be doin better now that she's got the proper size tires on.

So I mosey along and more and more people are content to mosey along behind me. Not near as much fun, no one to piss off. Well almost no one. Ticked off a dumpster dumper and he made an effort to intmidate by cutting short in front of me. Would have only hurt him, it was a no passing zone. I was doing maybe 5 under.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #14

I've noticed the semi's have slowed down on the interstates. Bunches of them have.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Top Contributor

I was told some trucking co. are putting governors on the trucks. Thats what I was told and I' sticking to it
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.