Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Add Big Air?

So I have a 2018 Voyager 1700, I added V&H and had it ivanized. It is great, but i would like a little more at higher RPM.

So.... I'm wondering if it is worth it to add Roaring Toyz and have ECU reprogrammed.

I roughly looked at Torq diff and HP diff

It seem starting at around 3000 RPM torque is about 3ftlbs higher and the diff goes to 8 or 9 ftlbs higher at about 4700/4800 RPM and remains an avg 6.5 ftlbs higher till 5700 RPM

HP: around the 3000 to 3400 it appears to be roughly 3 hp higher.going to about 5 or 5.5 higher 4000 -4400 , then about 6.5 to 7.5 roughly through to 5,000 -5,100 rpm

These values are not huge diff, but when actually driving is it quite noticeable?

And.. How much louder is Roaring Toyz really?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

I put an air kit (Chuckster's) on my bike when it had a fuel tuner, and the kit made a big difference to the power. I was an early adopter of Ivan's flash, and discarded the tuner.

Finding the percussive noise of the air kit irritating, I went back to try a K&N filter in the OEM box. the noise was gone, and the power felt unchanged. That's the way I've kept my bike ever since.

My conclusion was that Ivan's reflash is the biggest upgrade for power, and the rest doesn't make much difference.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 12-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I had a Cobra Powrpro on my 1700 Voyager. It was before Ivan offered the ECU flash. After the Powrpro was installed I was disappointed with the very small performance increase. It was only when I added Chucksters air kit that the engine performance noticeable increased. I did not mind the added intake noise. My current bike a 1300 Yamaha VStar has Ivans flash and a Cobra Powrpro intake. The extra 12hp is very noticeable over stock, 84 hp versus 72hp. The forward facing intake of the Cobra intake did not add a lot of extra intake noise in my opinion.

On the Voyager an aftermarket intake definitely adds quite a bit more noise. Some can live with it some cannot.

Take the cover off the intake and go for a short ride and get the bike in the 2,500 to 3,000 rpm range.
It will give you some indication of the added intake noise.

Last edited by redjay; 12-21-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #4

I have the Kuryakyn Alley Cat. Personally, I like the noise. Exhaust noise is great, intake noise is underrated. And the CAI doesn't just derestrict the air intake, it's also tremendously cooler since it's not going through two scalding hot chrome dog dishes and nearly 3ft of tract that inhales already hot air in the cylinder valley.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 12-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

Greetings,
What PEG said. The biggest boost is going to come from IVAN's flash. Like 90 or 95% of performance gains. I had the big air kit on for a couple of months and could not stand all the extra noise from the throttle-body area. With the cross-over and related air routing stuff gone, you can hear a lot of ticking, clacking, noise. My brain didn't like trying to sort through those additional sounds while riding and listening to the engine.
The perf gain with the BAK was not worth it to me. So went back to the stock air track. Yes, the noise is really still there, but it is muted by the OEM equipment.

Again, in my mind the small gain wasn't worth it.

After the ECU reprogramming by IVAN, life was very good!

Just my two cents...
Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

Don't get all upset and down/out over a couple of HP....1 or 2 horses isn't really enough for you to feel. 4 or more, yes....
Since you got pipes and been Ivanized, add a big air setup, you'll have all you want unless your a Power Nut! I prefer the torque!
No need to worry about these bikes after 4500....at that rpm in hi gear, you'll be white knuckling it and will start speaking in tongues....
In my opinion, a add-on ECU after being Ivanized is a waist of money....
Being Ivanized cures what ailes these bikes, a add-on will just screw with a really good reflash like Ivans....
If you don't like that pull of a good strong 1700 at 5500....you need a Yamaha Raider or a VMax....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 12-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.