Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

TPS issues 1998 1500 Nomad Carbed)

Dealing with running problems and as part of the diagnostics process tested the TPS with the TPS harness adapter and a Fluke DMM. I was getting 3.6v on idle and 0.7V open throttle. couldn't adjust it,So, Ordered a new one from Kawasaki. These things aren't cheap at £325. But no UK stock. Three week wait for the unit to be shipped from Japan. While waiting my brothers 97 VN1500 Classic developed a seriously fuel leak. Carb stripped and inspected to find some debris in the float bowl and a failed float needle valve. Carb had an hour in my ultrasonic cleaner, reassembled with new float assembly. Attached the TPS harness adapter and low and behold, readings were wrong so attempted to adjust. Lowest readings achieved were 3.6v at idle and 0.6v at open throttle. so another faulty TPS? Brother given the bad news.
New TPS arrives for my bike and installed. Reading is 3.3 on idle and 0.8 on open throttle? No useful adjustment...Why the reverse readings on the 2 bikes and then new TPS?
Any help appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #2

Why do you want to adjust sometime than isn't adjustable? Why does everyone want to alter a really great running bike. The timing events, your throttle positioning sensor has very little play, so, very little adjustment. All the important shit is controlled by your ECU. The purpose of the EFI Controller is to vary your base programming to improve performance and enhance the way the bike runs....If your tps values are out, replace it. you can fine tune a little, there is some movement in its installation.
If you wanna mess with such shit, use a ignition controller from Dynatec that has several performance maps (were used mostly for the Meanies)....They're not made anymore.
I'm running one on my 1500 (but my engine is heavily modified, ie, cams, hi-compress.pistons, non-stock rods, extensive porting, bigger injectors, etc), you can find them used sometimes....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-07-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

these are just thoughts ! no offense intended ! 3 sensors all reading backwards not likely . could you be using the wrong harness or meter readings ? do you know the difference between a TPS and a Potentiometer ? they look identical but 1 the TPS starts about half a volt and rises to about 5 volts . the other starts high and drops as you open it . so I would try to research Your hookup of the meter . and get a pin voltage chart if you can find one . But the odds of 3 sensors being wrong to the same values is out there . Just thoughts

Old 09-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

pipereed.

I had the same experience on my 99 carbed. I bought another one, and that read backwards too. So i just disconnected it, and it seemed to rev out more than before. Been like that for about 4-5yrs now.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
these are just thoughts ! no offense intended ! 3 sensors all reading backwards not likely . could you be using the wrong harness or meter readings ? do you know the difference between a TPS and a Potentiometer ? they look identical but 1 the TPS starts about half a volt and rises to about 5 volts . the other starts high and drops as you open it . so I would try to research Your hookup of the meter . and get a pin voltage chart if you can find one . But the odds of 3 sensors being wrong to the same values is out there . Just thoughts
*It is likely, because I witnessed it... I was there testing all 3 including the new one.
*TPS/Potentiometer... It looks like I have been educated, Kind thanks Sir. Then all 3 are Potentiometer's. I call it a TPS because thats what Kawasaki referees to them as "Throttle Sensor" in section 15-65 in the Factory Kawasaki Motorcycle Service Manual 99924-1241-01; and the section is "Throttle Sensor Position Adjustment". As far as I was concerned, its a TPS. I must be dumb for believing what its telling me in the manual.

* The Throttle Sensor Setting Adapter Kawasaki Part number 57001-1400 was purchased from Partzilla.com. I followed the instructions in section 15-65 to the letter. Readings on my fluke DMM was set at 20v DC. Although it doesn't say anywhere in the manual what settings to use?

Scott, No offense taken

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by pipereed; 09-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I had the same experience on my 99 carbed. I bought another one, and that read backwards too. So i just disconnected it, and it seemed to rev out more than before. Been like that for about 4-5yrs now.
So its not just me then Mick?

Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Why do you want to adjust sometime than isn't adjustable? Why does everyone want to alter a really great running bike. The timing events, your throttle positioning sensor has very little play, so, very little adjustment. All the important shit is controlled by your ECU. The purpose of the EFI Controller is to vary your base programming to improve performance and enhance the way the bike runs....If your tps values are out, replace it. you can fine tune a little, there is some movement in its installation.
If you wanna mess with such shit, use a ignition controller from Dynatec that has several performance maps (were used mostly for the Meanies)....They're not made anymore.
I'm running one on my 1500 (but my engine is heavily modified, ie, cams, hi-compress.pistons, non-stock rods, extensive porting, bigger injectors, etc), you can find them used sometimes....
Its a carbed bike.. The TPS is adjustable...
Did I mention it was a carbed bike?

Old 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
Been doing a little research... Have look yourself

http://autoditex.com/page/throttle-p...-tps-22-1.html

Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipereed View Post
So its not just me then Mick?
No it's not mate. I tried to adjust mine after fitting the go faster bits on the bike, and it read backwards. So i bought one from a bloke in the states for $100, that was the same. I also bought the Kawasaki gizmo. Results were still the same. I made some notes of what the readings should be,dont know if you can read it though. If i remember rightly, i concluded that the figures were the wrong way around. Anyway i gave up on it.

The multi meter should be set at 10 amps,and ignition should be on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-04-22 08.47.04.jpg (101.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-04-22 09.06.06.jpg (79.8 KB, 10 views)

Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
No it's not mate. I tried to adjust mine after fitting the go faster bits on the bike, and it read backwards. So i bought one from a bloke in the states for $100, that was the same. I also bought the Kawasaki gizmo. Results were still the same. I made some notes of what the readings should be,dont know if you can read it though. If i remember rightly, i concluded that the figures were the wrong way around. Anyway i gave up on it.

The multi meter should be set at 10 amps,and ignition should be on.
Thats the stuff I've got Mick... I have the factory manual with the same info. Its just not doing what it says in the manual. so thats 4 not reading right. I'd like to hear if anyone else are getting the same readings.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Thats the stuff I've got Mick... I have the factory manual with the same info. Its just not doing what it says in the manual. so thats 4 not reading right. I'd like to hear if anyone else are getting the same readings.
I seem to recall trying the multi meter on all the wires, in different combinations, and still not getting the readings i should. I aint no wiring guru, but i tried everything, and it baffled the shit out of me. Like i said before. I disconnected it, and the engine revved out better than it did before. I understand that with it disconnected, the ecu, or whatever you want to call it, thinks the throttle is wide open all the time. I assume that means that it delivers more fuel, therefore, more giddyup.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Ever consider the possibility the manual is wrong? Seen it before.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
That was my conclusion mate. But in the absence of any better information, i gave it a swerve.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
Categorically and a resounding YES... I have no doubt that its wrong. I have contacted Kawasaki UK technical department for comment/clarification.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Categorically and a resounding YES... I have no doubt that its wrong. I have contacted Kawasaki UK technical department for comment/clarification.
Scouser on the march. Take no prisoners mate.

Last edited by mick56; 09-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.