Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

CAMCHAIN extender measurements

Has anyone got a camchain extender that they can measure for me.I need to get a pair of extra long ones made,and need the diameter,inside & out please.Even the diameter of the end of a tensioner would do.Thank you.

I am not trying to steal the idea from anyone,i just need some long ones for myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #2

Those extra long extenders are going to throw a helluva curve and then backward curve around the gears, my friend. How do you know the tensioners and/or the plastic guides are even in one piece? Each tensioner and guide is pinned at one end (x4). You MIGHT find bits of plastic in the removable strainer if any are worn badly or broken. But their absence in the strainer does not mean that things are okay. Even if they are good, then the sloppiness in the chain is not going to go away. And there is no telling what the sloppiness is doing to your valve timing. It will only get worse and noisier before a potentially catastrophic failure that will destroy an engine that is currently a candidate for repair. Once a chain breaks the engine is biscuits (toast over here). Good Luck to you.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 AM   #3

I take your point,and thanks for the input.I reckon the tension slipper is ok because there would be marks on the extender if it were'nt.Not sure about how much of a curve the longer extenders would put on it.I am only looking at adding 3/4 of an inch,over a near 2ft chain.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

Hi Mike hope your well :)
Not tryin to tell you how to suck eggs :) but looking down the back of the barrel will not say how much the chain guide has worn :( Have you thought of getting NEW chains with the soft link so you don't have to strip the motor ?? takes two of you to put in but that shunt be a problem for you :)

Steve

Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicgrotto View Post
Hi Mike hope your well :)
Not tryin to tell you how to suck eggs :) but looking down the back of the barrel will not say how much the chain guide has worn :( Have you thought of getting NEW chains with the soft link so you don't have to strip the motor ?? takes two of you to put in but that shunt be a problem for you :)

Steve
All good here mate.Any idea where i can get them ? I just listed all the parts i am going to need,and watched a few video's on what's involved.I really dont want to do that.
edit.I could buy a Kawasaki chain,press out one of the studs,then rejoin it,maybe ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 10-12-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Have a word with a stealer they may be able to help LOL but in the past I have changed C/Cs with out pulling the motor into a zillion bits :) You just need the covers of the top of the motor split your chain fastern new chain to it & turn motor over till you get it back up to top so you can join it back together with new link :) you would have to reset the cam timing but not have to take it apart :)

Steve

Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

here yu go :) the bay of thieves 152647182587 +it comes with a link :)

Steve

Old 10-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
here yu go :) the bay of thieves 152647182587 +it comes with a link :)

Steve
Good shout mate.Twice the price of an original Kawasaki chain though.Thanks for that.

Last edited by mick56; 10-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

you could ask the stealer if they have a soft link :)

Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
you could ask the stealer if they have a soft link :)
I asked,they dont do them.Just the endless chain.Even at the ebay price,( it's actually 3 times the price) it's worth it, to save me the grief of stripping the motor.Appreciate your help mate.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #11

Mike wot year & model is it ??

Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #12

1999 Nomad G2 mate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-06 14.51.46.jpg (97.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 10-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #13

It would be NICE for Mas OR D/L to chime in & say they could get you some links :)

Old 10-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
It would be NICE for Mas OR D/L to chime in & say they could get you some links :)
They will be along shortly with some advice.The international time difference is a factor.The chain size/pitch,is crucial.Meantime,i have a small workshop close by,who will make a pair of long extenders for £10.Not my prefered option,but still an option. nipper.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
They will be along shortly with some advice.The international time difference is a factor.The chain size/pitch,is crucial.Meantime,i have a small workshop close by,who will make a pair of long extenders for £10.Not my prefered option,but still an option. nipper.
Hey mick, I can measure the ones I bought yet won’t be until tomorrow most likely as my sons wedding is today.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack