Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

front end issue

I have a 2013 Voyager (Non ABS) and have been having a issue with the front end that is kind of confusing me. I am not a mechanic so I hope someone here with more knowledge may have some answers.

When I ride into a right hand tight curve like a circling on or off ramp for example, the front end feels like the tire is low. Almost like I'm riding on light gravel or a tar snake. Going to the left or straight there is no issue.
The tires look good. I have an MC II on the rear with about 1000 miles on it and a stock dunlop on the front with about 9000 miles on it (it looks like it still has over 1000 miles life left on the tread). Both are set at 38 psi. The shocks are set on setting 3 and have 24 psi in each. the rear has been lowered with luverne's links.
I have read about the death wobble these get due to the bearings but I have only heard people talking about how they wobble on straight stretches which is not my case.

Any Ideas where to start looking for answers would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by 8v06; 06-19-2018 at 06:15 AM.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Have you jacked the bike up and checked the wheel bearings or neck bearings for play?

Also, you have a now 5 year old tire on the front, you don’t notice just how hard they get with age and how poorly they perform over time. It is likely time for a new tire.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 06-19-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #3

As of now I have not jacked it up to check the front. Since lowering the rear my jack no longer fits under the bike.
I was thinking of just getting a new tire to be on the safe side. I just didnt know if thats where I should start.
On other threads people mentioned the weight of the fork oil. Would that have any effect on my problem and will a dealership change that to non-OEM specs if requested?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

I called the local dealership about replacing the tire, bearings, and fork oil. I'm thinking the combo may just get whatever is causing my problem. Do you think this is overkill?
They quoted me a price on labor but told me the bearings were at least 6 hours to replace alone. Does that sound right? Im only asking because the service guy didnt seem like he even wanted to do the work on a Voyager.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I cant see how replacing front wheel bearings alone would be a 6 hour job.
Are you talking about neck bearings being a 6 hour job ?

The so called death wobble is usually experience going straight and decelerating while at the same time letting go of the handlebars. Try decelerating from 60 down to 20 while keeping a loose grip on the bars.

Put your bike on pieces of wood to raise it so you can use your jack to test wheel and neck bearings.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Put your bike on pieces of wood to raise it so you can use your jack to test wheel and neck bearings.
I will try to get it on the wood to see if that will work. I know by spinning the tire im looking for deviation but what am I looking for to check the neck bearings?

The 6 hours is to put in a set of All Balls steering stem bearings. 1 hour for the front tire for a total of 7 hours at $90 per hour. He didnt give me a price on changing the oil and told me I shouldnt do it unless I have a leak.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

8v06,

Get the front end off the ground as BonVoyager suggested. Turn the handle bars from side to side, they should 'fall' to a stop, but not so fast they bounce when hitting the turn stops (neck bearing Loose). They also should not be so tight they dont 'fall' from near center to the stop (Too tight). This is the steering stem bearing check. There are better descriptions of the test in other threads. Or, hopefully, someone will correct my descriptions.

Wheel bearings, with the wheel off the ground (still), spin the front wheel. Does it spin smoothly? Any tick-tick-ticking? Any squeeking or squeeling? If you grab the top and the bottom of the wheel while on one side of the tire and try to wiggle it (Push top, pull bottom, vice-versa), is there play or clicking? If yes to any of these then MAYBE a bearing is needed.

Fork oil change, one of the best and easist maintenance jobs. Using a BelRay or other quality fork oil can improve the front end dampning feed back. There are threads on this topic as well. So changing the fork oil IS on my list REGARDLESS of leak or front end handling concerns...

IMHO the bridgeSTONE front is likely your culprit. WHile you have the front wheel off the ground. Spin the front tire, let the palm of one hand ever so lightly touch the tire as it is spinning. Feel for up/down sensation in the tire, cupping or scalopping can make the bike feel the way you described. The spinning tire under your hand should feel baby butt smooth.... Conversly, if it feels more like running your hand over a big bag marshmellows or the lobes of a CAM, then cupping may be your problem...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Last edited by smokier; 06-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #8

Vague steering is often caused by low tire pressure and/or loose head bearings so those are the two areas I would focus on first. The description above will let you check the bearings yourself. I prefer jacking the front wheel up and pull/pushing the front wheel back and forth and watching for wiggle. Forward and back or side-to-side will both give you a reading of the bearings.