Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Cam chain tensioner extender question

Can I replace one at a time? I'm confident in the process and have no worries about being able to do the job correctly. But the one on the front cylinder will require removing my air intake, etc. As I have stock air intake. The rear one looks easy to get to and much quicker. Would it hurt anything if I replace the rear one and do the front one when I have more time? Don't want to hurt anything riding it with only one done. Can't see how it would, except that the front one would still be noisy, but thought I would check with the experts first

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I would say you are fine doing one now and one at a later date. The front one is not too bad if you loosen up both ends of the intake, and get some ball ended allen keys to remove the bolts in the front tensioner.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #3

Shouldn't hurt to do them separately. I had the stock air intake on mine and it was still a pain to change the front one. I had already skinned my knuckles, exhausted my cuss word list (even used some of them twice) and was getting ready to just have a melt-down hissy fit when I suddenly found the sweet spot with the intake. My words of wisdom are to not give up, it can be done with the stock air intake!!

Old 05-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Go for it, it'll be fine.
VBA 936

Old 06-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

Ditch the intake crossover tube,and fit a K&N filter on the right.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

Would love to do that, as long as it doesn't require having to add a fuel processor. My bike runs great without one and the added expense of a processor for me would be just that. An added expense.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Ordered the correct k&n air filter with collets from k&n online, fits perfectly replacing the stock filter. Lasts 5x longer, 5x the airflow, much improved throttle response, performance and mileage. No need for processor change. No need for big air kit. Cleaner kit is 13 bucks, this filter will last forever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 06-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtascone View Post
Would love to do that, as long as it doesn't require having to add a fuel processor. My bike runs great without one and the added expense of a processor for me would be just that. An added expense.
LOL You have no idea how much better you and that engine would be if you added a Dobeck fuel module even if it were the only thing you ever did. Just in 87 octane that you could run, the unit would pay for it self in a season or 2. These engine are so overly lean from the factory they strain to just run. The High test BS in the book is a EPA cheat on the laws of physics. It IS a 9:1 compression engine with by industry speh calls for 87 octane .

By adding fuel you will get a cooler running engine, that won't tend to create a carbon build as it will on high test, you will get more power because there is MORE Energy in 87 octane just because of the chemical reaction , which translates into more money in your wallet, and more miles per gallon, and if you do nothing else. If you do add a free flow intake set up and a freer flowing exhaust the more fuel really shines.

In any case these engine require more fuel than the factory settings and this alone will improve the situation.

Do NOT add a free flow exhaust with a free flow intake unit with out a fuel module. You can add a free flow exhaust and that's it with out the fuel mods.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #9

Hey Mac is back.Good to hear from you mate,even if i do piss you off.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks222 View Post
Ordered the correct k&n air filter with collets from k&n online, fits perfectly replacing the stock filter. Lasts 5x longer, 5x the airflow, much improved throttle response, performance and mileage. No need for processor change. No need for big air kit. Cleaner kit is 13 bucks, this filter will last forever.

I bought a K&N cleaning kit,followed the instructions,and it's crap.Petrol and a stiff brush is the way to go.Regards the filter.I got an 8in K&N on the original backing plate,with a Moroso cover turned arse about face,(someone on here sent me that from America,and would'nt even let me pay the shipping.Stand up that man,because i forgot who it was ) and the original dog bowl fits inside the rim of it perfectly.I would love to find a backing plate that has a bigger intake hole though,as the filter covers part of it,I rotate the filter every few weeks,so the part facing the wind,and shit,dont get too clogged up.I use a 170 main jet,but i lost some grunt when i fitted straight through pipes.So i am going to try a 172/175,and a 180 soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-06-01 15.08.18.jpg (94.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-01 15.09.43.jpg (91.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-01 15.10.30.jpg (95.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-01 15.07.29.jpg (89.2 KB, 12 views)

Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #11

I think 45 mpg at 74 mph is pretty good. Performance with just the k&n air vastly improved to above satisfactory for my daily ride. Trying to justify ivanizing cost and don't want to sacrifice mileage for what already is plenty of power. Drop in filter was an easy mod. Stock pipes don't seem to restrict. Runs best at 80mph+.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks222 View Post
I think 45 mpg at 74 mph is pretty good. Performance with just the k&n air vastly improved to above satisfactory for my daily ride. Trying to justify ivanizing cost and don't want to sacrifice mileage for what already is plenty of power. Drop in filter was an easy mod. Stock pipes don't seem to restrict. Runs best at 80mph+.

I would imagine that with the crossover tube,and the K&N,the air intake is getting a bit turbulent.You might want to try blocking off the crossover by sticking some Gaffer tape over the inlet on the backing plate.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Hey Mac is back.Good to hear from you mate,even if i do piss you off.
I see you "adjusted"

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I would imagine that with the crossover tube,and the K&N,the air intake is getting a bit turbulent.You might want to try blocking off the crossover by sticking some Gaffer tape over the inlet on the backing plate.
I bet, but my cross over tube was gone the first week I had the 06 nad which I still have. I did do a ciggy butt smoke test and at idle the left side as seated did nearly nothing.

But you being in England isn't everything bassackwards anyway? Fresh air comes in to the exhaust, and bad air goes one the nice air filter? if not I don't know why you would need to clean that old K&N filter !

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
I see you "adjusted"
No adjustment required .Good to have you back though mate,you have been missed.

But you being in England isn't everything bassackwards anyway? Fresh air comes in to the exhaust, and bad air goes one the nice air filter? if not I don't know why you would need to clean that old K&N filter !

Only an American would not understand,that the forward part of the filter is going to catch all the crap.Rotatating it through 360 degrees,periodocally,slows that process down.

Last edited by mick56; 06-01-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: OTATIN