Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Clutch Slipping

Posted wrongly in New Members earlier. Anyway I'm doing the meanie spring and judges washers to repair slipping clutch. I've read most instructions yet was wondering if anyone has any tips for this that they learned doing it? Thanks

Brydges

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #2

Well, its about the locking up of gears to remove that nut. Use a socket with a long pullhandle, along with a clutch basket holder tool w/ handle laying agianst the swingarm....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to readytorideaway
I searched it on you tube as a rookie bike mechanic and followed it step by step and had great success...the only thing I would pay close attention to is to use the old side plate gasket as a template to locate the bolts in the proper spots as they are a few different lengths...I also cleaned and checked the clutch plates one by one carefully stacking them in order then replacing them in reverse order ...its doable for sure.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #4

With regards to locking up the gears to remove the clutch basket. no.

just use an electric corded impact wrench, off in seconds, without any need to lock up the gears--no need for the penny, no need for a locking gear.

watch the youtube video for the fellow who did the clutch on the 2007 nomad

review the service manual and http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/c...placement.html

and
http://oldsarge.tripod.com/clutch_sp...eplacement.htm

you'll realize that mix and match the advice works best.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 AM   #5

The impact works great....if you have access to one. As they told you above, the nut will come off in seconds with a impact. If no impact, eat some wheaties and go for the long pull-handle!
Read up in the whole procedure at Gadgets site. Make a template using the new gasket on a piece of cardboard. You got alot of diff. length screws....don't get them mixed up!
When putting your washers on, use some grease to stick them together when reassembling.
And when you put your gasket on, watch out for the front, make sure that gasket stays in place when installing that cover! You gotta maneuver that cover around that big, fat gear at the lower front.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #6

I reckon using the penny is a good way of stripping some teeth off the cog.I would'nt do it.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #7

Watch for the washer that falls off when you remove the cover, and be sure and put it back!!!!

Put the gasket on the case, not the cover, with a bit of silicone to hold it in place or you'll end up having a hell of a time with it.

I usually take a box and punch holes in it and put the bolts in it in the order they came out, just pick a spot and start there when removing and installing.

The box with the holes will keep the bolts from getting mixed up when you accidently push it.

An electric impact is absolutely wonderful and inexpensive if you don't have an air impact.

Take pictures since it's your first time.

And for God's sake make sure the bike is leaning on the sidestand.

Some have tried this with the bike standing straight up, the oil will RUN out if it's not leaning over.

Use lots of bearing grease on the three limiter springs, it will melt and not hurt anything, but if they slip, you'll be tearing it apart again when it slips or just doesn't hook up.

Most of all just relax and enjoy it.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Advanced Member

don't forget to drill a hole in a copper penny and tie a string thru it, so that you can retrieve the penny if it should fall down into the hole, and you'll need an electric wrench gun to get the NUT off

Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to get an electric impact for the nut removal. When torquing it back on, do you use the penny trick to hold it still? Also is it advisable to clean the plates before reassembly. I have no slip at all except in high gear and under throttle. Has only happened twice so I think the plates are ok. Hoping the judges washers get here soon. Again thanks for all the tips. It is greatly appreciated.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #10

If that is all it's slipping, II wouldn't take anything apart further than necessary.

Just pull the spring and 3 limiter springs and go no further.

That's just my opinion.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #11

Dip the plates in engine oil before fitting them mate.I dont go along with this penny thing at all.While i understand that many have done it before,and had no problem.What better chance to knock a tooth off the cog.Why chance it when there other options.Put the electric hammer to max,and let it rip.You aint going to break anything.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

Something an old bike mechanic on youtube said something that sounds like the sort of thing you're asking about. He says you should soak your new friction plates for hours or overnight before you install them. Something that experience would know, but I've never seen it in any instructions. I tried to find the timestamp but it's one continuous shot of the bike and him talking so I'd have to almost watch the whole thing again. It's in there, though :)

Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #13

I dont believe the fabric of the plates will benefit from anything more than a dip.As they are not totally porous,like the old cork ones were.But a soaking wont do them any harm either.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #14

I've yet to handle any and what you're saying makes sense. He could be talking about an older style of them.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #15

1. If using the impact wrench make sure you use a proper impact socket. a chrome socket may shatter and cause you an injury.

2. i don't recommend judges washers as you will lose your slipper clutch function, which can be a life saver in that brain dead moment when you down shift. also judges washers are not for use on late model 1500's or 1600"s.

3. with regards to installing that nut, use a torque wrench, not the impact wrench. to the right of the nut is another gear with a nut on it (sorry my computer with the manual on it is down at the moment). use a wrench to hold that nut while torquing the other nut. alternatively you can use a loose gear (as per the video) by moving it up. a loose gear in Canada can be obtained at Princess Auto or Greg Distributors and if in the states I am sure you can find one, possibly at a lawn mover service depot or?