Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

Ivans mod=higher/hotter engine temp

since ivans mod iv'e noticed my vaquero runs hot at times.anybody else have this issue

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

Question Not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
since ivans mod iv'e noticed my vaquero runs hot at times.anybody else have this issue
Greetings MarkC,

For both of mine, the observation is the opposite. The bikes run cooler and stay cooler longer.

Based on others comments and observations, they too are reporting slightly lower running temps and less prone to getting into the retard situation.

Has anything else changed? Changed GAS? Changed riding style? (More throttle to play with = more right wrist issues?)

Are you getting to more traffic, slower traffic?
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 03-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

ok,i might have some wrist issue's but the short answer is no not all the time.to me it seems to vary

Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Advanced Member

MY Vaquero has had the Ivan mod for nearly a year now. The beast runs stronger, smoother, with more passing power in 6th gear, and yes, much cooler. I do have a big air (Roaring Toyz) air cleaner and FP 2-1 pipe, which could make a difference, Ivan tuned my ECU for that setup and it works very well. I also have Cycle Logic "Engine Ice" racing coolant in the system that helps even better with cooling and does protect down to -26 F. He resets the cooling fan motor to come on at a cooler temp which on hot days sitting at stop lights, helps even more.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

I'd check the rest of the bike over closely. We've done 25-30 reflashes and every single one runs cooler, better, faster, stronger...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
I'd check the rest of the bike over closely. We've done 25-30 reflashes and every single one runs cooler, better, faster, stronger...
When you say "we've done" 25-30 reflashes are you talking about removing the ECU and sending it to Ivan ?

Old 04-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #7

Not to be negative but I feel like my bike runs warmer. I never noticed my butt getting warm until after Ivan's tune. The gauge still shows about 3/4 but feels warmer.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:38 AM   #8

Maybe you need a new radiator cap? Or thermostat not operating correctly?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Be very aware of how ambient temp, impacts 1700 engine temps. The difference between a 45 degree day and a 95 degree day may influence the gauge by as much as a couple hash marks. Beside the huge drive-ability improvements, I see very little engine temperature improvement with the flash. The cooling fan does trigger sooner, but that wasn't an issue for me. I have seen closing a Voyagers lower's vents, push more air through the radiator and lower engine temps slightly. I still believe the radiator is too small. A liquid cooled engine with a thermostat should not have fluctuating temp. I guess we should be calling it, liquid assisted cooling!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
Be very aware of how ambient temp, impacts 1700 engine temps. The difference between a 45 degree day and a 95 degree day may influence the gauge by as much as a couple hash marks. Beside the huge drive-ability improvements, I see very little engine temperature improvement with the flash. The cooling fan does trigger sooner, but that wasn't an issue for me. I have seen closing a Voyagers lower's vents, push more air through the radiator and lower engine temps slightly. I still believe the radiator is too small. A liquid cooled engine with a thermostat should not have fluctuating temp. I guess we should be calling it, liquid assisted cooling!
In response to your observation, my skoot's temp will hardly get off the bottom hash mark on a 45 degree day, but sitting in traffic in the Los Angeles area for most of the afternoon in July last year the temp would get to the 205 degree mark and the fan would cool it down. This was stop and go for most of the afternoon as we made two stops across the L.A. basin.

So in my observation my cooling system is good on the upper end. It has never run any hotter.

What my bitch is about is how cold the cooling system runs on a 45 degree day.

What I found out is the thermostat starts to open at 136 degrees. Also, there is a hole at the thermostat housing to bypass the thermostat because there is no shunt line to bypass the radiator. This info is what is in my service manual.

What happens is the coolant is always flowing through the radiator weather the thermostat is open or closed. More flows when the coolant is hot and the thermostat is open.

Also, the coolant is only in the head and the top part of the cylinder. And I bet it is just to help keep the combustion chamber a more constant temp for emission control.

Sooooo, on a cold day when the coolant doesn't heat up as much because of this design, the ECU dumps more fuel into the cylinder to keep the cylinder temps up to meet emission requirements.

I have seen my fuel milage drop to about 32 mpg during the winter and in the upper 40's during the summer.

Harley's Milwaukee 8 is a water cooled design and I bet it is in response to emission requirements that can't be met with the air cooled design.

SO I agree with you that a liquid cooled engine's temp should not fluctuate like these engines do. I just chalked it up to cheap and poor design.

Metric engineering may have another idea in mind but I have yet to see it based off of my work experience.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Last edited by Snake Ranch; 04-03-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #11

Excellent comments - Snake Ranch! Cold weather kills fuel mileage just as bad as high speed. In the automotive world, a thermostat's job is to bring a vehicle up to operating temp as fast as possible and to maintain that temp for engine efficiency. My issue has always been with rider felt engine heat. That cannot change beyond a fuel controller/reflash, BAK, pipes and exhaust wrap, without re-engineering the air/water cooling.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
When you say "we've done" 25-30 reflashes are you talking about removing the ECU and sending it to Ivan ?
Yes.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
In response to your observation, my skoot's temp will hardly get off the bottom hash mark on a 45 degree day, but sitting in traffic in the Los Angeles area for most of the afternoon in July last year the temp would get to the 205 degree mark and the fan would cool it down. This was stop and go for most of the afternoon as we made two stops across the L.A. basin.

So in my observation my cooling system is good on the upper end. It has never run any hotter.

What my bitch is about is how cold the cooling system runs on a 45 degree day.

What I found out is the thermostat starts to open at 136 degrees. Also, there is a hole at the thermostat housing to bypass the thermostat because there is no shunt line to bypass the radiator. This info is what is in my service manual.

What happens is the coolant is always flowing through the radiator weather the thermostat is open or closed. More flows when the coolant is hot and the thermostat is open.

Also, the coolant is only in the head and the top part of the cylinder. And I bet it is just to help keep the combustion chamber a more constant temp for emission control.

Sooooo, on a cold day when the coolant doesn't heat up as much because of this design, the ECU dumps more fuel into the cylinder to keep the cylinder temps up to meet emission requirements.

I have seen my fuel milage drop to about 32 mpg during the winter and in the upper 40's during the summer.

Harley's Milwaukee 8 is a water cooled design and I bet it is in response to emission requirements that can't be met with the air cooled design.

SO I agree with you that a liquid cooled engine's temp should not fluctuate like these engines do. I just chalked it up to cheap and poor design.

Metric engineering may have another idea in mind but I have yet to see it based off of my work experience.

It would be interesting to see if the 1700 is running the same type of cooling systems as the KLR. From the factory it does not have a true coolant bypass and that causes the thermostat to constantly cycle and not keep a good steady temp. Watt Man has come up with a "thermo-bob" which basically allows the system to work as the cooling system does in a car. If the 1700 is the same as the KLR maybe it would be possible to rig up something similar for the big Kawi.
VBA#2669