Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

New Michelin Commander II's, front end wobble

Hi guys,

Just had a pair of Michelin Commander IIs put on my 1700 Nomad at 10,400 miles. Rode great the first 50 or so miles. Then I started noticing some shimmy (slight wobble in the handle bars) while cornering only to the left. Then it became a slight pulse even while going straight.

What's going on? Balance? Alignment? Bad tire?

I ordered the tires off Amazon and had a shop put them on. Seeking guidance from others who may have experienced the same with these tires before going back to the shop.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I had Commander II's on my Voyager with no issues. I would check all the axle bolts/nuts to make sure everything is tight and if the issue is still there take it back to where you got the tires installed.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

Did they do the Front End Bounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
Hi guys,

Just had a pair of Michelin Commander IIs put on my 1700 Nomad at 10,400 miles. Rode great the first 50 or so miles. Then I started noticing some shimmy (slight wobble in the handle bars) while cornering only to the left. Then it became a slight pulse even while going straight.

What's going on? Balance? Alignment? Bad tire?

I ordered the tires off Amazon and had a shop put them on. Seeking guidance from others who may have experienced the same with these tires before going back to the shop.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan
In the process of re-assembling the front tire on our 1700's (and several other bikes) need to be bounced to align the front forks with the axle.

Basically - the two pinch bolts on the front fork need to be loosened and the forks bounced up and down several times (Do not apply brake) then re tighten the pinch bolts.

This helps some - but the 1700's have a history of front end wobble. The only way I ever got rid of it was to have new tapered head bearings installed. http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html

Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Check your front tire for scalloping with >10K on it. My bike was wobbling when the tire almost done (4/32) and was scalloped. New tire and fine now.

What tire pressure are you running? Low PSI will contribute to scalloping.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The tire has very few miles on it. ^^^

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Check air pressure front & rear may have a slow bead leak . Just a thought since tires were just mounted . rear can feel like front also on Bikes .

Old 09-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
Check air pressure front & rear may have a slow bead leak . Just a thought since tires were just mounted . rear can feel like front also on Bikes .
This was my first thought too. A great piece of advice I got years ago was, treat a tire gently for the 1st 100 miles so the tire has a chance to seat properly.

Good luck finding and fixing the problem.
VBA #02592

Bash In the Bitterroots 2014
SE Rally in Nacoochee Valley 2016

Don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #8

Also check valve stem for a leak. Recheck air pressure.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Still feeling some shimmy. Will check air pressure tomorrow, and will also check with the shop.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
In the process of re-assembling the front tire on our 1700's (and several other bikes) need to be bounced to align the front forks with the axle.

Basically - the two pinch bolts on the front fork need to be loosened and the forks bounced up and down several times (Do not apply brake) then re tighten the pinch bolts.

This helps some - but the 1700's have a history of front end wobble. The only way I ever got rid of it was to have new tapered head bearings installed. http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html
I had much the same problem with mine even before putting on the Michelins. I had a wobble from 40 mph up to about 70. I give much praise to Marv from Rocky Mountain Kawasaki who made it his mission to fix the problem. Ultimately the head bearing were replaced with roller bearing and the wobble went away and has never returned. RMK worked with me in getting covered under the extended warranty and Kawasaki kicked in $185 toward the bearings.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--