Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

ECU Reflash, issue???

I just got my ECU back from Ivan and I'm noticing something I didn't before..

When on the highway, in 6th gear, doing about 75mph if you have to drop the hammer and accelerate hard and quickly, I have all kinds of nasty chatter coming from the motor. It sounds like the motor is about to detonate. Before the re-flash it didn't do that...

It's only when in 6th and happens about 3000rpm. In lower gears I can run that thing to redline and nothing, put it in 6th and accelerate hard while on the highway and clatter and chatter galore. So much so I'm fully expecting my motor to give up it's magic smoke and shoot sky high...

Anyone else notice this?

I thought I'd ask here now since Ivan is gone until the 15th.

Thanks.

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Are you using premium fuel?
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 08-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Advanced Member

• Are you using BAK? This needs more fuel at top end.
  • He will ask you to try another gas station - bad fuel maybe?
  • Check for air leaks in intake.
  • Keep us posted please - there is a few with issues.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
I just got my ECU back from Ivan and I'm noticing something I didn't before..

When on the highway, in 6th gear, doing about 75mph if you have to drop the hammer and accelerate hard and quickly, I have all kinds of nasty chatter coming from the motor. It sounds like the motor is about to detonate. Before the re-flash it didn't do that...

It's only when in 6th and happens about 3000rpm. In lower gears I can run that thing to redline and nothing, put it in 6th and accelerate hard while on the highway and clatter and chatter galore. So much so I'm fully expecting my motor to give up it's magic smoke and shoot sky high...

Anyone else notice this?

I thought I'd ask here now since Ivan is gone until the 15th.

Thanks.
try down shifting to 5th, it my understanding the 6th is overdrive and should avoid hard acceleration in 6th.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Top Contributor

You are experiencing pinging. If I am not mistaken Ivan specifies premium fuel after the reflash.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

My 2015 Vaquero is stock and does this any time I try to accelerate from low speed in 5th or 6th gear. Scared me at first until I learned how to avoid it i.e. downshift.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You are experiencing pinging. If I am not mistaken Ivan specifies PREMIUM FUEL after the reflash.
Bingo... And not only after the reflash... Kaw specifies Premium fuel in the owners manual. I was able to run regular without ping after installing an EJK fuel processor, but it's back to premium now with the EJK off, and Ivan's flash in.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 08-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #8

Yep, same thing here. After IVANizing, you gotta run premium. [I have gotten away using mid-grade a couple times, though, lol.]

Old 08-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

Thanks all. I am not sure if I put premium in this last fill up or not. I'll top it off with premium and see if that helps.

I certainly get needing to downshift from higher gears but at over 70mph it never used to have any "extra" noise. Here's to hoping it's just a fuel issue.

Next question...

This really only pertains to those with Ivan's ECU flash and ALSO Ray' throttle mod...

When idling and you give a quick short twist of the throttle, do you have any lag in motor response? It's my understanding that these two things together were to really reduce that issue if not eliminate it all together. Mine still has a slight hesitation.

I'm running the stock air filter and have the V&H slash cuts.

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
When idling and you give a quick short twist of the throttle, do you have any lag in motor response? It's my understanding that these two things together were to really reduce that issue if not eliminate it all together. Mine still has a slight hesitation.
No, no lag at all with both. But I did take Ray's off mine, it was a bit too snappy on decel at the lower end of the throttle for my tastes. Wasn't bad, just a personal taste thing.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You are experiencing pinging. If I am not mistaken Ivan specifies premium fuel after the reflash.
I hate to ask this. But what is "Pinging" ? Is it the same as "Knocking" ?

Old 08-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
I hate to ask this. But what is "Pinging" ? Is it the same as "Knocking" ?
Yes.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
Advanced Member

I had some pinging after the flash even running 93 octane, but only at Wide Open Throtle at around 4000 rpm. I still had my Power Commander connected, so I added 6% fuel at the top end, ping gone, bike pulls like a bat outta hell even in 6th gear and no downshift. Ivan offered to reflash but I did not want to mail the ECU out again. I am leaving everything alone now, bike runs great.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
Advanced Member

I must ask if in any gear? Do you have BAK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I had some pinging after the flash even running 93 octane, but only at Wide Open Throtle at around 4000 rpm. I still had my Power Commander connected, so I added 6% fuel at the top end, ping gone, bike pulls like a bat outta hell even in 6th gear and no downshift. Ivan offered to reflash but I did not want to mail the ECU out again. I am leaving everything alone now, bike runs great.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #15

I had the reflash about 3000 miles ago, and my1700 Nomad is otherwise stock except for Ray's throttle mod. I've had thee instances of pinging while accelerating hard in 5th. Two occurred with 93 octane.

I'm still very happy I did the flash, as the bike runs better in many ways. However, it is not perfect. I'm keeping my eye on this. Could be I need a bit more fuel when accelerating really hard when hot.

I will say that the flash generated a LARGE increase in power, even with stock air and pipes. LARGE.

The bike is a little herky jerky after the flash with the throttle mod. I find I need to be very smooth on the throttle (both accelalerating and decelerating) to avoid jerks. If I had to do it again, I might skip the throttle mod given the reflash.