Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Mystery Oil?

Earlier I mentioned I'm no mechanic so here goes. I've added Seafoam to my gas but never to the oil. I recently added Mystery Oil to the gas because it was mentioned it could possibly "unstick" a faulty gas gauge because it's a lubricant and Seafoam isn't. My question is if I add the Mystery Oil to the oil it would replace that amount of oil but if you add Seafoam to the oil it should only be done prior to an oil change, roughly 300-500 miles. Is one product better than the other, should they be added just for specific issues or is it a good idea to add one as a preventative?
"Gettin There"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

While MMO probably would be OK, I wouldn't do it, not on a wet sump clutch bike. I am also dubious that you would get any benefit from it in your crankcase. Fuel system, that's another story. Works great.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

I have never tried it, let us know your results.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Welcome from very hot and humid Virginia Beach. Found another forum that piped in info. from MMO Mfr. They said DO NOT use MMO in wet clutch motors. So, based on that info., I would not do that. But...I love Sea Foam; run it in my fuel always. It is a solvent. I would not run in oil always. Keep oil pure. Then add before change, as many here do.
Harley Bagger Muffs
Christian Motorcycle Rider

Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Welcome aboard from Georgia, and VARider make's a valid point.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

I was told years ago to stay away from putting any additive into the oil, gas additive OK but not to oil. I put the MMO in the gas the other day to see if doing that for a few tanks will help the gas gauge, plus I've heard it's good for the engine, like the Sea Foam. Thanks for all the help.
"Gettin There"

Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #7

I just looked at the MSDS for both products. They are not all that different, except that Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol (to reduce free moisture) and Mystery Oil has chlorinated solvents.

I don't think it would lubricate any better than Seafoam, in fact, I doubt it would be as good.

I would not put any product with chlorinated solvents anywhere they could remain in contact with rubber or aluminum, such as using like an additive. In gas, it might be OK (I wouldn't do it) if the tank is steel and not aluminum. In oil, if there is any moisture, the chlorinated solvents will break down to produce HCl, especially in a hot engine. That will attack anything in that engine, even engine grade steel, but especially aluminum. There is always a little moisture in the oil. If you ride in cool or cold weather, there is going to be more from condensation until it gets boiled off.

Using chlorinated solvents to clean parts is OK, even aluminum...usually, as long as it all evaporates off before reassembly.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #8

I think from the above comments and my feelings about oil additives I'll stick with the SeaFoam to the gas and use the odometer for the fuel gauge. I appreciate all the advise and sorry for originally mis-posting this thread.
"Gettin There"