Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #1

Question Charging - Battery symbol stays on...

Greetings,

Occasionally, when started, the Green Vaq's battery/charging light will stay on for a few seconds. 4, 5 maybe 6 seconds. Long enough to catch your attention for sure. A blip of the throttle does not always make it go away. It has always gone away, just stays on too long for comfort.
The battery terminals have been checked for tightness.
The battery has been load tested - good.
The wiring ground below the tail of the tank has been checked.

Any thoughts? What else should be checked?
If someone has a service manual and doesn't mind checking, is there an alternator test procedure?
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

Doesn't sound unusual. Just the battery recovering from starting the bike. Can sometimes take a few seconds.
If everything else is OK electrical-wise, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you are still concerned, buy one of those LED voltage monitors, or even a small voltmeter from Wal-Mart, and use it to monitor your battery voltage while you're riding. As long as the voltage stays around 14.5 (range is about 13.8 - 15.5) while you're riding, everything is working as it should. May drop below 13.8 while idling, depending on your accessories.
I've had one of those LED monitors for years, and it works great. Always goes yellow for a few seconds after I start the bike, stays green while riding, and may flicker yellow a bit while idling, depending on what I have turned on. I have mine attached in the headlight bucket to give me an indication of problems with the battery connections, rather than to the battery itself. After a while, you get accustomed to what is normal, and anything else is an indication of a problem starting.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 07-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

Had the same thing on my Voyager. Even tho the battery tested good I replaced it anyway and that fixed it.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,

Occasionally, when started, the Green Vaq's battery/charging light will stay on for a few seconds. 4, 5 maybe 6 seconds. Long enough to catch your attention for sure. A blip of the throttle does not always make it go away. It has always gone away, just stays on too long for comfort.
The battery terminals have been checked for tightness.
The battery has been load tested - good.
The wiring ground below the tail of the tank has been checked.

Any thoughts? What else should be checked?
If someone has a service manual and doesn't mind checking, is there an alternator test procedure?
When you say the battery was load tested, what kind of load test was done?
Because the little hand held testers are a crapshoot for good results. What needs to be done to properly test the battery is to hook it to a load tester that put a load on the battery for the rated amperage and time. You look for the voltage drop and the recovery voltage.

Your battery may be telling you a problem is around the turn.

My son was in the Navy and stationed in Virginia. He had purchased a new battery for his skoot but didn't put it in till after he moved to a new assignment. He was doing some work on the engine and put the new battery in at the same time. To make a long story short and after having the battery tested at more than one store, and they all said the battery was good, he bought a new battery and the problem went away.

I don't have any trust in those hand held testers. Only in the load bank type tester.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #5

Greetings,
Quote:
Tom Maziarz (tomm)
I like this thought, may get one soon.
Quote:
BlueMeanie & Snake Ranch
Given that the Vaq's battery is probably 5 years old (2012 model), this may be the culprit.. The load test was at a parts store, roll it out and connect it type. Not sure if that helps.
Looks like a new YUSA is the near future for Rita.

Thanks All, ride safe,
Smokier
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

battery light

sounds like your battery is starting to fail. May have plenty of charge, but the bus plates may be failing. I had a bike that I replaced an ignition before figuring out it was the battery. The battery was brand new - failed first or second ride. If the battery is old(er) might be worth replacing. Just a thought - best of luck

Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

I would try using a desulfating battery charger. I did some research on them and picked up a reasonably priced one. I had the same issue on my 2012 Voyager.....started it up and watched the battery light for a few seconds quite often. I used this charger once and no more issues.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
I would try using a desulfating battery charger. I did some research on them and picked up a reasonably priced one. I had the same issue on my 2012 Voyager.....started it up and watched the battery light for a few seconds quite often. I used this charger once and no more issues.
Interesting... May research that as well.

Thank you.