Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

ABS Light on after 21" Wheel Install

2015 Vaquero. Installed 21" wheel on Tuesday and now ABS light comes on anytime I exceed 50 mile per hour. Anyone else experience the same issue?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by kendog2; 05-01-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog2 View Post
2015 Vaquero. Installed 21" wheel on Tuesday and now ABS light comes on anytime I exceed 50 mile per hour. Anyone else experience the same issue?
Check your sensor at the wheels, its located at the part where there is a bunch of holes. If the sensor gets dirty or is too far away from the holes it won't register the magnetic pulses correctly.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:45 AM   #3

You do have the ABS sensor on the new wheel... Right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABS sensor.jpg (19.3 KB, 27 views)

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Advanced Member

The abs logic is looking for corrresponding number of sensor pulses that indicates the front wheel rpm compared to the rear wheel. With a larger front wheel it will be turning slower (fewer pulses) than it should be and sets the light, indicating the abs is no longer working. You may need to have a custom made tone wheel with more slots to fool the computer into thinking the big tire is rotating just as fast as the stock tire would have.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
The abs logic is looking for corrresponding number of sensor pulses that indicates the front wheel rpm compared to the rear wheel. With a larger front wheel it will be turning slower (fewer pulses) than it should be and sets the light, indicating the abs is no longer working. You may need to have a custom made tone wheel with more slots to fool the computer into thinking the big tire is rotating just as fast as the stock tire would have.
Not trying to be a wise guy but how does that work if a stock tire is replaced with a taller tire? Is there a + or - factor that is used when the tire wears or the tire is not OEM diameter?

My son has a 2013 Triumph Thunderbird. We resealed the rear brakes, and had to order a program to put on his laptop to open the solenoids in the ABS system so the brake system could be properly purged of air.

My skoot doesn't have ABS but I had wondered if the Kawasaki ABS system needed the same approach to properly bleed the system of air?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Advanced Member

The guy went with a 21" tire vs 16" and the diameter and circumference will be considerably bigger. I see the logic in the ABS throwing an error the speedo will be throw off too. Simply going to a different size tire (same rim size) will not have as much effect as what this guy did.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
The guy went with a 21" tire vs 16" and the diameter and circumference will be considerably bigger. I see the logic in the ABS throwing an error the speedo will be throw off too. Simply going to a different size tire (same rim size) will not have as much effect as what this guy did.
agree with this -- saw this in the car biz a few times with an odd size tire or two - there are limits that the ecu will accept even with the proper rim size

Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

Is it a wheel that was made for the Vaquero or was a retro fit from a different bike? If it was made for the bike, have you contacted the manufacturer?
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 08-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

I'm having the same issue as well, my wheel was built for the vaquero, i'll have to pay attention to my speeds but the light only comes on at higher speeds as well. I will have to reach out to the company I purchased mine thru. I wonder if Ivan could make an adjustment in the ECU to read the correct tire size.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
I'm having the same issue as well, my wheel was built for the vaquero, i'll have to pay attention to my speeds but the light only comes on at higher speeds as well. I will have to reach out to the company I purchased mine thru. I wonder if Ivan could make an adjustment in the ECU to read the correct tire size.
I doubt Ivan will touch that part of the ecu as it would be to much liability if something were to happen.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 08-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
Advanced Member

The issue is the ABS sensor is thrown off as you have approx 1.31 increase in wheel diameter. The disc sensor should also be changed/compensated for or re-calibrated. You wouldn't put a 16" tire on your 21" rim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post

Old 08-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #12

the abs module compares wheel speeds to determine if wheel lock up is imminent....at any given time both wheels on the bike are turning at the same speed<give or take>....as others have stated the added circumference of the new tire/wheel combination has changed the rpms of the wheel at any given speed....it must be near the threshold parameter for it to not kick in until 50 mph....there are allowances for tire wear and different tire brand sizing....

Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #13

Well since the abs light is going to be on that's even more of a reason to jump to a 23.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 08-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #14

Well, the diameter of the stock wheel/tire is 25.2". To keep that same diameter with a 21" wheel and assuming the stock130mm width, you'd need a 130/40/21 tire and I'm not sure they make that size as it would leave very little sidewall.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #15

I have been thinking about this, couldn't you make a new abs sensor with more slots in it (correct ratio). 16" rim circumference 50 1/4" the abs has 30 slots (just an example I haven't counted. 21" rim circumference 66". Rim is 1.31% larger so taking the original abs sensor of 30 slots (notional) and multiplying that by 1.31 (30*1.31)=39. So the new sensor plate would need 39 slots to read true...am I off in my theory here? These are rim figures, not tire so the mat would need to be done based on tire circumference...