Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

Air Shocks

I am sure this has been asked before but this is all new to me. I want to pump up the air shocks. Does the bike have to be lifted to take the weight off the shocks before pumping them up? I cant afford a bike lift. I did see on the forum about the pumps at bike rider and have ordered one. Thanks.

PS
Just returned from the Tail Of The Dragon, Devils Triangle, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great Trip. About 2300 miles total in 7 days. Great trip.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #2

Air Shocks

No, I have mine set at 20 psi and bought one of those pumps at the Harley place.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #3

Air Shocks

What trjam said. You don't even need to take it off the side stand to pump them up. I had mine at 18 each but the ride was rough. I now have them at 10, it's better but not where I want it to ride yet.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #4

Air Shocks

yeah, TC, I was thinking about reducing mine to 15 or 10.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Air Shocks

Got mine sitting at 13lbs each. And MAKE SURE you use one of the zero-loss air pumps. Don't want to blow your seals in the shocks!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #6

Air Shocks

Yeah....Get one of those zero loss hand pumps from a Harley Dealership or from an online store like Cruiser Customizing.
When I ask my Dealer if they had those kind of pumps...all I got was "what".
Anyway...no need to lift the bike or level it...
I have 18 lbs per shock but thinking about dropping down to 10 or 12 lbs.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #7

Air Shocks

Whats the max you should set them at? With miy wife and my size, I like to make everything as stiff as possible. i'm 345 and she 170so thats 515 total.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Air Shocks

I just got my air shock pump today. The dealer where I got the bike said for a guy my size, { 220 lbs. at 6'} 20 lbs in the shocks should be good. I found that great. I'm heading out for a 2wk. ride next week and will probably kick the pressure up a bit more {25 or so} when fully loaded and packed.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #9

Air Shocks

samkjr, I copied this from the Gadgets Page. Max pressur in shocks is 43 pounds.

"My owners manual has a chart showing a general guideline for air pressure in my rear shocks but I can't make heads or tales of what it means, what pressure (if any) should I use?"

This is another of those very subjective settings that is mostly dependent on the kind of riding you do, where you do it and the load the bike is carrying. The stock Nomad (1500) and 1500 Classic FI shock not only has an air pressure adjustment but also numbers that can be set by turning the upper shock cover. Those numbers set the 'rebound' of the shock, the speed the suspension is allowed to extend. The 'pressure' setting (being discussed here) controls the 'compression' of the shock or speed of upward movement. The idea is to balance the two so the back tire is always on the ground no matter what conditions you're riding in. If the tire is in the air you have no traction and that is a bad thing.

So, about the pressure.

The most important thing is what you fill the shock with. Never NEVER NEVER use a gas station air hose. There is potentially far too much pressure for the shocks to handle. The air cylinders in these shocks are very small and only require a few pumps from a bicycle pump designed for air shocks (not tires) or something like the specially made pump sold by Progressive Suspension. The bike shock pumps are available at most bicycle stores, the Progressive pumps online or at almost all Harley Davidson stores if you can't get one from your dealer. Try to find a pump with a 0-60 psi readout on the gauge. Higher scales (some go to 300 pounds) mean much finer markings making it a lot harder to set both shocks at exactly the same pressure.
These pumps come with a 'zero loss' fitting so no pressure is released from the shocks once you've gotten them to the desired pressure. In addition if you use anything but a zero loss type fitting on the shock you will probably release some or all of the air you just added. The slightest 'pfft' and the 25 pounds you 'thought' you had added are gone. Zero loss pumps also feature a gauge for getting the exact pressure you want. Both shocks should have exactly the same pressure. Adding the Progressive air shock balance kit to your Nomad or Classic will help. Details are on this Fixit page. Your dealer will probably have one of these pumps. If you're on good terms maybe they'll let you borrow it for a couple of hours.

And what pressure? The good news is you need to go for a ride (take the pump with you). Ride the roads you normally enjoy traveling on. Are they billiard board smooth? You'll need little or maybe zero pressure. Got dips? You'll need a bit more. Got potholes? A lot more. Speed bumps are the worst. If any of these things cause your bike to bottom out at speeds you'd normally hit them at, put in some air. If you generally ride two up be sure and do this test with your passenger. When the bike doesn't bottom out any more under the most severe test you expect to give it you've found your pressure. Remember if you're on a trip carrying more than the normal amount of gear you might need to add a couple of pounds. Never exceed the manufacturers suggested 43 pound maximum.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

Air Shocks

Thanks for finding that TC. Very informative.
so the 43 is the max. When I bought I had the guys stiffen everything and they told me the springs were already on the tightest preset and they put 40lbs in air shocks. So now I know. Thats about as high as it gets. I guess we are good like that. We really rarely bottom out. Only when we hit a dip or high patch in the road. I Know i could always buy the Heavy Duty springs i have seen but they are almost 600 plus the install.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #11

Air Shocks

The air pressure is for the shock compressing, this would help the bottoming out problem.
The rebound or preset as they called it is for when the shock uncompresses. It is to keep or get the rear tire on the road surface after a bump.
I normaly have my rebound set at 2. Even riding 2-up. I weigh 230 and Cindy ?
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #12

Air Shocks

You really do need a "zero loss" hand pump (like the progressive suspension mini gauge pump). as far as the pressure you'll have to try it and see what's best for you ;). I run mine around 17-20 psi and just adjust the rebound for the load. 1=sol, 2= 2 up, 3= 2 up on a day ride with a little gear, and 4= a loaded down trip. These work well for me . One thing I would STRONGLY suggest woud be a "shock balancing kit like this one

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...roduct_ID=5363

That way, no matter what pressure you have, both are EXACTLY the same . Makes for a safer and more comfortable ride

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #13

Air Shocks

O that looks neat. So does that work sorta like a crossover for an exhaust ststem? It just links the two and basically shares the two resevoirs as one? So I assume you would only have to inflate or deflate in one spot not both individually.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #14

Air Shocks

That's correct. you hook it to both via an air line that runs under your seat, and you have one place to air your shocks, and both are equal all the time, reguardless of what the pressure is.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #15

Air Shocks

good idea thats goin in my wantaholic book to show the wifey for ideas