Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Our accident--Court Date outcome included

Well, it is now almost 3 weeks after the accident and figured my right arm is healed enough that typing is not a chore so I would tell you what happened.

We were heading east bound on 42, a moderately traveled 2 lane road near The Villages, FL. The route is one we like to ride because it is scenic and has some nice curves...that's right, Florida does have some curves. We had stopped for a couple cars that were turning left onto a side road. As the first car turned, the second of the 3 had to wait to turn due to oncoming traffic that also wanted to turn onto the same road. I moved the bike up about a car length and stopped again. I glanced into the side mirror and saw a truck. Silly me, I thought it was right behind me at a stop but no, he wanted the spot we were in. He hit us with a 2009 Chevy Silverado pickup...no sound of squealing tires, just a deafening explosion of metal on plastic. Apparently he hit us on the right rear portion of the bike, forcing the bike to clip the Xterra that was in front of us. I hit the rear with my elbow, the bike must have clipped it also.

Next thing I remember is a loud crashing noise, a jolt forward, the sound of my helmet grinding on the pavement and trying to get my breath. I slowed my breathing, knowing I had gotten the wind knocked out of me. I opened my shield to get some fresh air and started to check on movement of all my extremities...everything worked but my left hip and right arm hurt like heck. Ok, probably have a couple breaks or dislocations but I'm not dead.

A nice lady, Lisa was her name, came up and knelt over me and told me don't move. I told no problem, not gonna happen. I asked her where my wife was and she said she is up walking around...WTF? I told her get her on the ground immediately. She yelled across the road to some others to get her on the ground.

Lisa then called a couple of my friends to tell them about the accident and asked them to meet us at the hospital. Lisa told my buddy that I exited the bike to the left, hitting and skidding almost 1/2 through the intersection. The bike went down near me, popped back up and continued through the intersection ending up diagonal to our starting point in the grass. Tammy apparently was thrown to the right and hit the Xterra or the car in front of that. That is why her injuries are more severe.

We both had on full riding gear, except Tammy did not have on gloves. I have a couple small spots of road rash that are almost all healed up. Tammy's pants must have blown out at the knee because her road rash at that spot is worse than mine. All our gear preformed as intended...even our brand new, 1 time used helmets.

What have I deduced from this accident to try to ensure this doesn't happen again? Well, I am going to make sure the rear of my bike is lit up like a freaking alien spaceship from Close Encounters and I will be much more rear aware when stopped. I know I had been looking at the antique store on the corner near the turn, admiring the hand made wooden chairs in the yard shortly before impact. Maybe if I had been looking in the mirror a little earlier I could have shot out to the left and got out of Dodge before he hit us. I do know that I was in the left track of the road...probably saved our lives. If we had been in the middle track, we would have been crushed between the two vehicles and we'd be on the Memorial Page now. Full gear is a great thing too. If I had been in a half helmet, t-shirt and jeans, I'd still be in the hospital with severe road rash over my entire body and looking at skin grafts and reconstructive surgery on my face.

Just wanted to share our experience with everyone and maybe help someone learn from our misfortune.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by coacha; 01-26-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Glad to hear that you both survived................get well soon.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
thanks for the update Ron. Glad it wasn't worse and I hope you keep riding. What happened to the guy that hit you?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Glad to hear you two are on the mend. Good luck.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 11-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Wishing the both of you a speedy recovery. I am glad you did not make the memorial page.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by OldSchool; 11-27-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

Glad to hear from you Ron. Still wishing your wife a speedy recovery.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 11-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

This is good (bad) news. You're ok. How's Tammy? Her injuries were not too much more severe, I hope. Speedy recovery, and a VERY FAT settlement check to you both.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Its great that your here to talk about it Ron, good to see you back.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
This is good (bad) news. You're ok. How's Tammy? Her injuries were not too much more severe, I hope. Speedy recovery, and a VERY FAT settlement check to you both.
Here is the thread explaining their injuries etc.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42764
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

Glad you're still here to tell the story my friend.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 11-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I'm new here and don't know you, but wishing you guys a speedy recovery, musta been a hell of an experience...

Old 11-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #12

I'm not sure you could have "done" anything you hadn't already done. You had no control over traffic conditions. Your lane placement was spot on. You had the gear (which I agree, probably saved you). Squirting out of the way MAY have worked but could just as easily put you into further danger. You had rear facing situational awareness. As far as I can tell, the only other thing you could have done would have been not to ride that day and that hour in that place.

Here is hoping you all heal well and that others will take your experience to heart.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 11-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #13

Ron, really glad that you are able to write this, Diana and I have been worried about Y'all. She's been keeping me updated from what's been on Facebook. Hope Tammy (and you) continues to improve, and be back to normal soon, and YES, I agree you can't have enough lights on the back.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Glad to hear you guys made it through all this and I pray you and Tammy continue to improve each day. Take care.
Don

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Old 11-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #15

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by coacha View Post
Well, it is now almost 3 weeks after the accident and figured my right arm is healed enough that typing is not a chore so I would tell you what happened.

We were heading east bound on 42, a moderately traveled 2 lane road near The Villages, FL. The route is one we like to ride because it is scenic and has some nice curves...that's right, Florida does have some curves. We had stopped for a couple cars that were turning left onto a side road. As the first car turned, the second of the 3 had to wait to turn due to oncoming traffic that also wanted to turn onto the same road. I moved the bike up about a car length and stopped again. I glanced into the side mirror and saw a truck. Silly me, I thought it was right behind me at a stop but no, he wanted the spot we were in. He hit us with a 2009 Chevy Silverado pickup...no sound of squealing tires, just a deafening explosion of metal on plastic. Apparently he hit us on the right rear portion of the bike, forcing the bike to clip the Xterra that was in front of us. I hit the rear with my elbow, the bike must have clipped it also.

Next thing I remember is a loud crashing noise, a jolt forward, the sound of my helmet grinding on the pavement and trying to get my breath. I slowed my breathing, knowing I had gotten the wind knocked out of me. I opened my shield to get some fresh air and started to check on movement of all my extremities...everything worked but my left hip and right arm hurt like heck. Ok, probably have a couple breaks or dislocations but I'm not dead.

A nice lady, Lisa was her name, came up and knelt over me and told me don't move. I told no problem, not gonna happen. I asked her where my wife was and she said she is up walking around...WTF? I told her get her on the ground immediately. She yelled across the road to some others to get her on the ground.

Lisa then called a couple of my friends to tell them about the accident and asked them to meet us at the hospital. Lisa told my buddy that I exited the bike to the left, hitting and skidding almost 1/2 through the intersection. The bike went down near me, popped back up and continued through the intersection ending up diagonal to our starting point in the grass. Tammy apparently was thrown to the right and hit the Xterra or the car in front of that. That is why her injuries are more severe.

We both had on full riding gear, except Tammy did not have on gloves. I have a couple small spots of road rash that are almost all healed up. Tammy's pants must have blown out at the knee because her road rash at that spot is worse than mine. All our gear preformed as intended...even our brand new, 1 time used helmets.

What have I deduced from this accident to try to ensure this doesn't happen again? Well, I am going to make sure the rear of my bike is lit up like a freaking alien spaceship from Close Encounters and I will be much more rear aware when stopped. I know I had been looking at the antique store on the corner near the turn, admiring the hand made wooden chairs in the yard shortly before impact. Maybe if I had been looking in the mirror a little earlier I could have shot out to the left and got out of Dodge before he hit us. I do know that I was in the left track of the road...probably saved our lives. If we had been in the middle track, we would have been crushed between the two vehicles and we'd be on the Memorial Page now. Full gear is a great thing too. If I had been in a half helmet, t-shirt and jeans, I'd still be in the hospital with severe road rash over my entire body and looking at skin grafts and reconstructive surgery on my face.

Just wanted to share our experience with everyone and maybe help someone learn from our misfortune.
You know, we remember things like falling off the monkey bars and getting hit in football and having the wind knocked out of us, but they ain't nothing like the wind knocked out of you in an accident! Its like a brand new inner tube with NOTHING inside and trying to fill it by pulling on the sides! You laying there thinking damn, I ain't breathing or something, I better breath or die!!!

I'm glad you saved that handsome head. I reckon it coulda been a bitchin' reconstruction endeavor.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/a...1&d=1448736535
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heisenberg.jpg (11.9 KB, 13 views)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead