Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Thunder tornado intake

Question...I am thinking of purchasing a Thunder Tornado intake for my Vaquero. I have learned from their tech the unit does not have a hole in the tube for the air temp sensor. I would like some opinions on this subject and if any one member has this intake what he or she has done dealing with this issue. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

Extend the wires for the sensor and relocate it to the hole in the fairing that the harness goes in to.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Or buy Chucksters kit for the 1700. It has a hole for the air temp sensor.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Advanced Member

The current Roaring Toyz breather I may be taking off my engine has the temp sensor in the back plate, it came that way. The Thunder Tornado comes as a large circular tube with a 90 degree bend in it that curves into the throttle body. It has a tapered filter pointing forward so I am thinking of punching a hole in the back of the snorkel tube just behind where the filter mounts on it and securing it in there, even if it means extending the wires for the sender unit. IT CAN BE DONE WITH RELATIVE EASE. I always appreciate everyone's views and inputs. Doesn't the Chuckster come as a round unit only like the one I am currently using?
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Gypsy the one thing I am concerned with moving the wire up front to the fairing is that it is not sending the proper info right into the ECU directly....please reiterate on this.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

This is a mod I learned of from RacnRay. The theory is that you get a more accurate temp reading since the sensor is away from the heat of the motor.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 10-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
The current Roaring Toyz breather I may be taking off my engine has the temp sensor in the back plate, it came that way. The Thunder Tornado comes as a large circular tube with a 90 degree bend in it that curves into the throttle body. It has a tapered filter pointing forward so I am thinking of punching a hole in the back of the snorkel tube just behind where the filter mounts on it and securing it in there, even if it means extending the wires for the sender unit. IT CAN BE DONE WITH RELATIVE EASE. I always appreciate everyone's views and inputs. Doesn't the Chuckster come as a round unit only like the one I am currently using?
Why are you getting rid of the Roaring Toyz breather.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Ken good question. Not that there is really anything bad about the Roaring Toyz unit, it just behaves like it is getting a little too much air initially at lower revs before picking up even with the tuner working real well, causing a little stumble sometimes as if the air isn't getting into the throttle bnody ports evenly at first. The tornados are a proven unit, a buddy of mine has a pair on his Zook M109 and they work very well. As for the temp sensor not having to be in the intake, that is interesting. I think I will contact Ray and ask for his views on that. Thanks for your inputs guys!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ken good question. Not that there is really anything bad about the Roaring Toyz unit, it just behaves like it is getting a little too much air initially at lower revs before picking up even with the tuner working real well, causing a little stumble sometimes as if the air isn't getting into the throttle bnody ports evenly at first. The tornados are a proven unit, a buddy of mine has a pair on his Zook M109 and they work very well. As for the temp sensor not having to be in the intake, that is interesting. I think I will contact Ray and ask for his views on that. Thanks for your inputs guys!
I know Ray initially moved the IAT sensor up front by the neck of the frame by extending the wires, however he later returned it to the correct position because it really added no value ans if memory serves me correctly, the ECU was responding oddly. I would stick with a stock location if you can mod the Thunder intake.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
The roaring toyz is a good unit and the expense of changing to another BAK is not worth it. Really it is not.

First of all, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE for an intake to supply "too much air initially" unless the air flow has compromised intake velocity. Velocity (air flow speed) at low engine speeds/low throttle openings is more important than air flow( air flow quantity). Lookin at the pics of the r/toyz unit is has a very well designed backing plate that will not compromise intake velocity. Since air flow is sideways thru the filter you will have even distribution of the air and this kit is no different in that regard to other BAK's that utilize that type of air filter.

I see u have the Thunder t/b gasket, do a check for vacuum leaks where the manifold attaches to the heads, there is possibilities for vacuum leaks there.

Also, the FI2000 is an archaic tuner and you will NEVER achieve the performance, smoothness and mpg possible with a PCV.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 10-08-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Ray thanks for the advice.....well heeded. I will get the TB off and check all the bolts at the heads and keep the Roaring Toyz unit intact.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Ray thanks for the advice.....well heeded. I will get the TB off and check all the bolts at the heads and keep the Roaring Toyz unit intact.
Those bolts will be tight as they are loctited. Kawi uses what is called a " floating" mount, the manifold is not directly bolted to the heads. If there are leaks the manifold must be removed, the o-rings replaced and LOTS of sealant used to properly seal the manifold/orings to the heads. Also the Thunder t/body gasket should be installed with sealant also.

Any 1700 with no vacuum leaks and properly tuned will not have hesitations or dead spots, but "properly tuned" may not be had with the cobra FI2000. You may get close but...

RACNRAY