Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

PCV is the ticket!

I had V&H slip ons with the K&N filter and the EJK fuel processor and a all I could stand of back fires. Through lots of reading and a few extra bucks later, Ive solved the back fire problem... well mostly. With the maps and good opinions from Ken, I bought the pcv and a BAK. I'd say 95% are gone. I'm very happy. Does anyone want to buy my EJK and my v&h filter?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

Just curious, which BAK did you go with? I am looking into doing one soon.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

I wEnt with the thunder one that keeps the stock cover.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I was able to tune out way more than 95% pop. Keep playing with the 0% throttle column. I went as high as 30 and kept backing off till pop was gone. I ended up at 4. I am not messing with it any more. She is running beautifully. Glad I could help you. Keep it up and you will get her where you want it.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #5

Thanks again for your help Ken. I saw that the 0 column is at 4 already on the map you recommended. I assume you set it like that. It does work very well. The throttle response is fantastic so the only thing I might change is the timing in the 0 column . I might put 4s a bit lower in the rpm range. I let it get down to 1250rpm and got a bit of popping there so when I get time to try it I will. Have you tried that?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkioti View Post
Thanks again for your help Ken. I saw that the 0 column is at 4 already on the map you recommended. I assume you set it like that. It does work very well. The throttle response is fantastic so the only thing I might change is the timing in the 0 column . I might put 4s a bit lower in the rpm range. I let it get down to 1250rpm and got a bit of popping there so when I get time to try it I will. Have you tried that?
Wasnt sure if you had the PCV with ignition. Thats what did it for me. I added 4 in the 0 column from 1500 rpm to about 4500 rpm in the ignition table. After that the pops were gone. I am using a modified ignition table that I received from David Sheek and tweaked a little. Also using 87 octane. I went up to 89 octane and had a few more odd pops every now and again, but still a far cry from what I had with the EJK installed.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

I took your que and spent the extra 20 for the Pcv with ignition. Can you send me that table? The more info the better. Lol

Last edited by Tomkioti; 08-07-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

My shop was involved with DynoJet waaaay back in 1997 with the original Power Commander. Man o man was it NOTHING like what we have now. We did some testing on bout 5 different units on my TL1000S that I had modified the airbox and built a custom made 2-1 exhaust. The original Power Commanders were not "user tunable"!

When the PC2 came out a few years later that's when we started to have fun. On some of those PC2's they came with an ignition timing table at no additional cost. Then the PC3 and PC3R, then the PC3 USB, and now the PCV.

I have been spoiled thru the years with the tuneability of the Power Commander, the only other FI tuner I like is the Bazzaz unit.

With the now availability of maps from forum members who are gracious to share them there is really no reason for anyone to use another brand of tuner, specially when thay may fall short of getting a skoot dialed in.

RACNRAY

Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post

With the now availability of maps from forum members who are gracious to share them there is really no reason for anyone to use another brand of tuner, specially when they may fall short of getting a skoot dialed in.

RACNRAY

Very much agree.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

With the now availability of maps from forum members who are gracious to share them there is really no reason for anyone to use another brand of tuner, specially when thay may fall short of getting a skoot dialed in.

RACNRAY[/QUOTE]

Are the settings the same for all 1700s ?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
My shop was involved with DynoJet waaaay back in 1997 with the original Power Commander. Man o man was it NOTHING like what we have now. We did some testing on bout 5 different units on my TL1000S that I had modified the airbox and built a custom made 2-1 exhaust. The original Power Commanders were not "user tunable"!

When the PC2 came out a few years later that's when we started to have fun. On some of those PC2's they came with an ignition timing table at no additional cost. Then the PC3 and PC3R, then the PC3 USB, and now the PCV.

I have been spoiled thru the years with the tuneability of the Power Commander, the only other FI tuner I like is the Bazzaz unit.

RACNRAY
Agreed Ray.... You are still my favorite Dyno tuner. When I get enough coin together I will be paying you a visit to get my girl 100% dialed in.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post

RACNRAY
Are the settings the same for all 1700s ?[/QUOTE]

All these bikes have variances. Ray has explained that this is the byproduct of mass production. So while my settings may be excellent for me, they may only get you in the ball park provided you have the same setup.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 08-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #13

I'm very glad for this forum as it's helped me along the way. I would say I'm very close to having the perfect setup. I think a bit of tweaking and I'm done. I would be curious to see how it would do on a Dyno though. When the Bucks permit I'd like to do a Dyno run and tune on it to see just how close I am.