Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #1

My Vaquero started making a weird noise?

Notice it only when starting the engine and sometimes when stopping it. It's making this weird squeaking/farting noise? Curious if this could be the throttle body leaking that so many complain about, how would I find that out?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Intake air leaks can be found by spraying something flammable (such as brake cleaner) around the intake manifold at the heads and throttle body. If the engine RPM increases when you do this then there is an air leak.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #3

I'm going to tear into it today to see if the throttle body is leaking because the acceleration is really starting to suffer. Hot idle is kinda qwerky so there is something going on there?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
I'm going to tear into it today to see if the throttle body is leaking because the acceleration is really starting to suffer. Hot idle is kinda qwerky so there is something going on there?
If it is still under warranty why not just take it into the dealer than risk voiding the warranty by doing it yourself?
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
If it is still under warranty why not just take it into the dealer than risk voiding the warranty by doing it yourself?
Been a mechanic my whole life and I'm willing to try to avoid doing without the bike for weeks on end. I suspect it's sucking air like a lot of them do. I ordered the "gasket fix" from Thunder and it's really an easy fix and it could be easily undone if need be for warranty. If it turns out to be more involved then it can go back and have them try to locate the issue. The gasket is 7 bucks and an hour or so out of my day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I put the thunder gasket in mine, took maybe an hour taking my time. It did seem to make a difference, the bike throttles up nice and idles even and smoothly. It was worth the 7 bones and the labor.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
I put the thunder gasket in mine, took maybe an hour taking my time. It did seem to make a difference, the bike throttles up nice and idles even and smoothly. It was worth the 7 bones and the labor.
Got mine done last night, found fuel all around the O-rings and the left side even had a slight bit dribbling out. The gasket is in and like you said it does seem to run better. weather or not that was my problem it was worth it.