Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

HD ride

Hey thought I'd pass this along to you.

I have a Classic, bag and trunk added and ride mostly 2 up with the SO. I'm tall (6 4) so it took a lot of hunting to find something that is comfortable and I don't look like an ogre riding. Had a wing but the foot position with the cylinders sticking out was always uncomfortable. So I've had my Spock bike for a few years, really enjoy riding it and the SO likes the trunk with the wrap around back rest. Last week some buddies their SO and the wife and I went to Vegas to rent Harleys and tour the dam and the desert. We rented Ultras, the other guys all have Harleys here and I take the obligatory abuse for not riding one. I've had a couple when I was younger (a Flathead and a Shovelhead) and am not a fan. But most guys with Harleys don't ride them for comfort or reliability so... In any case we had them for a few days and it just solidified why I will never own one. First off they're small, even an Ultra, I couldn't get my legs comfortable, and of course rentals don't have highway pegs, add to hat these were stock and ran way lean, to the point the pipes were discoloring but mostly the rear cylinder got so warm my butt felt like I was riding on a heated seat on max! The one thing it did convince me of was I need a Batwing! the road tunes were incredible, so that will be the next project but after 3 days on a Harley I couldn't see myself ever owning one

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

I took my batwing off for a few days last week to add a new USB and MP3 port and couldn't stand riding the bike without it. Once you get use to them there's no going back to a windshield.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

I'm 6'3", never ridden an Ultra but have sat on one. Cramped indeed. For years I have said that if I ever owned a big twin i.e. HD, it would be an Ultra. After setting on one, I had second thoughts. After discovering Vulcans, the hook is set and I doubt I ever own a HD. Unless I suddenly hit the lottery. Then I will have more bikes than weeks in a year hehe.