Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #1

Gas Gauge Flaky?

I dig the gas gauge on my baby. My K75RT has a low fuel light which I affectionately refer to as my two gallon light but having a bonafide gauge is kind of neato. I realize it isn't wildly accurate. I push 100 miles on the trip OD and it reads about 3/4 or something. I have been watching it closely tank after tank to get a feel for how miles ridden and gauge indication correlate though.

Yesterday after I filled up the last time, I rode about 100 miles and the needle hadn't budged. OMG two weeks into owning this doll and I have a problemo on a 15,000 mile bike? I took a notion to do some quick flicks left and right hoping to jostle gas and get the needle to respond. No luck. Once I got home in the garage it seemed to finally fall down to around 3/4 once I parked on the sidestand.

Strangeness. Anyone had experience with such an anomaly?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 AM   #2

That's the way mine works.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #3

When I have my tank topped right up, I can ride close to a hundred miles before the needle moves off the full mark, then It starts dropping quickly, and by the next eighty miles its on empty. I use trip meter as a more accurate tool.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

I would say, relax....LOL Mine takes a while to drop off the full....

You must be a real blast when things get really tense? LOL

Old 05-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

I do what ringadingh does.. Trip meter,, at around 200km's the light comes on then I get gas.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Try to avoid riding far once you see the yellow light flicker. Fuel cools these pumps, and it's a good way to cook it riding past first flicker. I make a point to see the yellow light once a year and try to be where a gas station is handy when I do.

As to my blocky gas bars they work fine but I pay no attention to them. I use the trip meter old school way and a gps. i would trade that gas gauge for a 2nd trip meter any day.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

Yes, trip OD, I use it religiously. But what threw me off was the fact I had watched the gauge closely on all my rides thus far. No gas gauge will be accurate in a progressive fashion. That first 1/2 tank never seems to drop in relation to the actual miles ridden. That goes for any car I've owned as well. The last fill up I referred to, man, it didn't budge, not even a needle's width. I admit, I was tense. Bummin cuz I feared something had already gone crappo on my new ride :)

10-4 on the gas cooling the fuel pump. I've always made sure to not run way low on my K bike for that reason.

On a related note, the MPG is great. At a steady 55-60 easy cruising, I bang out 48 MPG no problemo. Running hard 75-80ish it drops to 38. Anything in between nets low 40s. Very pleased with all that - and the bike in general.

Thx for the replies!!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanJeff View Post
Yes, trip OD, I use it religiously. But what threw me off was the fact I had watched the gauge closely on all my rides thus far. No gas gauge will be accurate in a progressive fashion. That first 1/2 tank never seems to drop in relation to the actual miles ridden. That goes for any car I've owned as well. The last fill up I referred to, man, it didn't budge, not even a needle's width. I admit, I was tense. Bummin cuz I feared something had already gone crappo on my new ride :)

10-4 on the gas cooling the fuel pump. I've always made sure to not run way low on my K bike for that reason.

On a related note, the MPG is great. At a steady 55-60 easy cruising, I bang out 48 MPG no problemo. Running hard 75-80ish it drops to 38. Anything in between nets low 40s. Very pleased with all that - and the bike in general.

Thx for the replies!!
Do you a fuel mod device? That MPG's is great if you are stock and might be better with a TFI if that's all you do. From the factory these bikes are wicked lean, and strain to just idle. Adding just a TFI will help run the engine easier and it will run cooler. add a big air kit and after market exhaust and you will get more power, be able to run regular which these engines at 9:1 compression should be in the first place, and gain MPG's.

Yes, these engines are that lean that you gain MPG's by adding fuel.
My 16 gets around 44 / 46 MPGs and once got 48/46 before I added a CT, which lost me a few MPG''s for the trade of traction. I also find crash bar covers help in MPG, odd as that seems. The air bubble they create must reduce drag. Sure seems odd, but appears to be the facts.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

The first time I looked at the bike the ol' guy didn't mention a TFI and honestly at that time I wasn't too privy to the sort of mods done on Vulcans in particular. He sort of died a week or so after I first looked at it. From then on, I was dealing with his g/f who actually owned the bike. I need to pop the seat and hook up my Battery Tender leads this weekend. It would tickle me to find a TFI in the process!

Things are stock on the intake side. The exhaust is V&H Big Shots. Sometimes I get a backfire when chopping the throttle going 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd when I'm getting into it aggressively. Not sure what to make of that at this point in time. I haven't edumacated myself in that realm yet. What I have read (before I bought the bike) was mods on the exhaust side don't warrant fuel/air mixture changes. The ECU handles it fine. Changing things on the intake requires a TFI.