Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #1

puncture safe.

This is a product that goes in the tyre like slime, but this stuff claim's to be much better,once installed you need never worry about getting a puncture again,it claim's to seal any hole up to 6mm(1/4in) for the lifetime of the tyre. So i paid for it when i put new tyre's on (about 2,000 m ago,) and off i went happy as you like, last night 60 m from home i got a puncture at about 80mph and it's f--ked the tyre wall in the proccess of puling over and stopping, I am expecting an argument with the local dealer today, because he reckon's that i should take the problem up with the manufacturer, i say, i bought the product from him, he installed it and he should come and get my bike, supply and fit a new tyre, and bring it back to me for no charge. When my fridge packed up i did'nt take it back to Zannussi, i phoned the bloke at the shop i bought it from.Here's a link for the product, if you can be arsed to read it and let me know what you think,i would appreciate it.

http://www.puncturesafe.co.uk/punctu...technical.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

I don't know what the seller "told" you Mick, but I didn't see any mention in the web site that it "guarantees" to fix every leak. It does mention that if the tires safety integrity is breeched it will leak off pressure in a"safe" manner allowing the rider to make it to the side of the road.

I've used Slime and a couple of other products but to my knowledge never had a puncture to test them.

All I would expect of any of these products is to allow me enough time to make it to the side of the road without going down.

Good luck with your "dealer".

Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

I read it the same as Duffy. It "will only positively seal small holes caused by puncturing objects up to 6mm in diameter, but only in a hole that is in the tread area of the tyre, and that is shrinking in size because there is no cord damage (rubber recovery), which is 95% of today's punctures in high speed vehicles. Anything bigger, or in the sidewall, with or without cord damage, and the PunctureSafe fibres just slowly bleed through the hole, giving a controlled deflation"

So if it got you safely to the side of the road, which appears to have happened, it did what was claimed.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

This is what it says on the web page for the leaks. I'm guessing from reading this if you pick up a nail or another similar small object while riding and it goes in the tread area of the tire it will seal it. If the puncture is in the sidewall you're shit out of luck.

• Will not seal punctures in the thin & flexing sidewall, but will give a tell-tale sign with a controlled and slow deflation.

• Will seal punctures permanently and for the life of the tyre.

• Will cure in the puncture to a firm and flexible rubbery plug, as opposed to something resembling sticky modelling clay or hard and common with tyre sealants formulated with just one or two polymers. These simple sealants initially seal punctures, but then fail as the plug dries and shrinks because of heat. This is because simple tyre sealants with a high water content that can bind fibre and rubber particles whilst still in their liquid state, initially seals a puncture in a tyre but fail as the tyre sealant plug dries and shrinks.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 03-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I don't know what the seller "told" you Mick, but I didn't see any mention in the web site that it "guarantees" to fix every leak. It does mention that if the tires safety integrity is breeched it will leak off pressure in a"safe" manner allowing the rider to make it to the side of the road.

I've used Slime and a couple of other products but to my knowledge never had a puncture to test them.

All I would expect of any of these products is to allow me enough time to make it to the side of the road without going down.

Good luck with your "dealer".
Thank's for reading it mate I thought it claimed to fix any puncture up to 6mm for the life of the tyre,that is certainly what the dealer told me,but i take your point about the integrity of the tyre being compromised, every puncture is going to damage the tyre by the time the bike is stopped, so i reckon that is their cop out clause,and if that's the case i was lied to, and the dealer is going to hear what i think about that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
This is what it says on the web page for the leaks. I'm guessing from reading this if you pick up a nail or another similar small object while riding and it goes in the tread area of the tire it will seal it. If the puncture is in the sidewall you're shit out of luck.

• Will not seal punctures in the thin & flexing sidewall, but will give a tell-tale sign with a controlled and slow deflation.

• Will seal punctures permanently and for the life of the tyre.

• Will cure in the puncture to a firm and flexible rubbery plug, as opposed to something resembling sticky modelling clay or hard and common with tyre sealants formulated with just one or two polymers. These simple sealants initially seal punctures, but then fail as the plug dries and shrinks because of heat. This is because simple tyre sealants with a high water content that can bind fibre and rubber particles whilst still in their liquid state, initially seals a puncture in a tyre but fail as the tyre sealant plug dries and shrinks.
Thank's for taking the time to read it mate. It say's to me that if i got a nail or similar in the tread area it should have sealed it, and i would be none the wiser.I am going to take the wheel out tomorrow and have a look at it before i go swinging the dealer around by the ball's i reckon.It did give me plenty of warning that it was going flat though,i dread to think of the outcome if i had'nt had it, i was doing about 80mph at the time. And for that reason i will be using it again regardless of the outcome with the dealer.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

Mick you may be interested in this one mate. You might find it to your liking. Oh and it also balances the tire at the same time. As far as the puncture in the wall of the tire. None of them will repair that. Even car tires should be tossed with wall punctures.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Last edited by OldSchool; 03-11-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Mick you may be interested in this one mate. You might find it to your liking. Oh and it also balances the tire at the same time. As far as the puncture in the wall of the tire. None of them will repair that. Even car tires should be tossed with wall punctures.

http://www.ride-on.com/
Thank's for that mate. I've read all the bumph about the fybropolymer congealing agent's and the secret Green formula's ect, and i reckon all these product's are pretty much of a muchness. I agree that sidewall damage mean's the tyre goes in the bin,but if i find a nail in the tread tomorrow, which i'm pretty sure i 'm going to, i am going to want to know why it went flat at all.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Advanced Member

If you haven't yet read through all the pages off the ride on link - I have because I will be trying that out in my next set of tires. It has a diagram in there somewhere that illustrates the relatively small area that is "puncture protected". Still, its about as much as dyna beads - maybe a little more but gives you a little added peace of mind . . . If the dealer told you otherwise - I would be interested to hear what their reply is . . .

Good luck and glad you made it safely to the side . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 03-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
If you haven't yet read through all the pages off the ride on link - I have because I will be trying that out in my next set of tires. It has a diagram in there somewhere that illustrates the relatively small area that is "puncture protected". Still, its about as much as dyna beads - maybe a little more but gives you a little added peace of mind . . . If the dealer told you otherwise - I would be interested to hear what their reply is . . .

Good luck and glad you made it safely to the side . . .
Thank's mate. I was on a dual carriage way surrounded by car's and van's at the time,and as much as i am bitching about that stuff,if i did'nt have it yesterday i would have been f--ked up good and propper. I dont intend ever riding a bike without it again.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

Glad to see that you are safe and will be able to ride again. That is the best case scenario in my opinion. The dealer or manufacturer will only probably refund you the money that you spent on this product.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Top Contributor

If you are alive to receive the refund is what counts :)