Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 AM   #1

Help... No Power on 2006 1600 Nomad

I have really messed things up!!! I thought I was going to jump my bike with another battery and something happened when I went to hook up the other battery and I heard a pop. Somehow I must have shorted things out. Now, I don't have any juice when I turn the key to 'on'. No lights in the dash, nothing. The weird thing is when I turn the key back to off, the Speedometer needle goes all the way over to 140mph then back to zero. I have checked the 30Amp fuse that sits behind the antifreeze bottle, and the other fuses in the little fuze box by the antifreeze bottle. I put a meter on the battery and it shows 13 volts. I don't know where else to check. I am seriously losing sleep over this and not sure what to do. I need this bike for my commuter vehicle this spring and its coming soon.

Please, help

Thanks,
D
KawaNow #01849

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

Sounds like you are thinking correctly. Start again with the most obvious, fuses, and go from there. Use an ohm meter. If you don't have a schematic, get one. Verify power before and after the circuit you are tracing. Check your connections as well, there are several. There are fuses associated with your display as well as the starting circuit. Good Luck!
If you'er not living on the edge...You'er taking too much space.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

Are we missing part of the story here?, why were you jumping the battery if it reads 13 volts, was it cranking but not starting before the mishap, did you just charge the battery since, was it out of the bike and you just reinstalled it? Trying to get the full picture here.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

For shame... for shame... see what happens when you get in a hurry and jump start a modern bike? You can't treat these newer bikes like you did your old 1978 CB Honda. If your fuses are all good (pull each one out and inspect it) and battery connections clean and tight you may have fried something. Did you see any sparks with the pop? Get yourself a good multimeter, if you don't already have one and start checking voltages.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

There's a fuse (30a, I think) under the seat in the battery area. Did you check that? BTW, remove each fuse and check continuity with a meter, don't just eyeball it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Well, at 2:00 in the morning (couldn't sleep) i went out and unhooked some accessories from the hot side of the battery and guess what, the bike has power. I tried to jump it because all of a sudden the battery acted like it was partially dead. I had a wire hooked up wrong and not realizing it I was very tired and didnt jump it properly anyways. Im sure I have something shorted out on one of my accessories, so I will be looking into it tonight after work. Thanks for the input and I will keep my progress posted.
KawaNow #01849

Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

I think the lesson we've all learned here, DeWayne, is to not work on the bike when the noggin isn't awake yet.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #8

Good to hear you got it going. If you have a number of wires ganged together under the pos or neg battery screw, it is easy to not get a tight connection and full power. If that is the case, better to use one heavier gauge wire at the battery connecting all the acc with a bus, extra fuse panel or even pig tailing them to that one extra lead.
Let us know how you make out.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Well, more bad news.. I came home after work and turned the ignition on and things seemed normal. So, I decided I would try to start her up since, i didn't at 2 in the morning, and hit the starter. I heard a light pop on the right side of the bike and now I have no power again! No power to the gauge area / nothing. Don't understand this at all.
KawaNow #01849

Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Good to hear you got it going. If you have a number of wires ganged together under the pos or neg battery screw, it is easy to not get a tight connection and full power. If that is the case, better to use one heavier gauge wire at the battery connecting all the acc with a bus, extra fuse panel or even pig tailing them to that one extra lead.
Let us know how you make out.
I actually installed a Centec fuze box and ran my accessories from there. I used a relay to power up the fuze box as well as a relay for my driving lights i just got from chucksters. Everything was working good until i decided to put a switch in to turn the driving lights on and off. Thats when the electrical started acting funny, like the battery was almost dead. I hooked up my battery tender and it seemed to help a little but not enough. So, i tried to jump it and then things went south in a bad way.. Now, im sick to my stomach and may have to go to the dealer... :-(
KawaNow #01849

Last edited by dholmer; 03-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

So take the driving light switch out of the circuit and see what happens. Check those fuses again, sounds like you blew one.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
There's a fuse (30a, I think) under the seat in the battery area. Did you check that? BTW, remove each fuse and check continuity with a meter, don't just eyeball it.
Take his advise on this one mate. I lost a week of my life looking for a bad wire that turned out to be a " New" Bad " fuse. Had I taken 10 minutes and checked em all I would have been a much happier man.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

Thanks for the input guys. I will check the fuses out again and even the main 30A fuse thats sits right behind the antifreeze bottle/under the seat.
KawaNow #01849

Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #14

As Scott says temporarily remove all added acc wires to eliminate them as a cause and check the fuses for continuity with a meter.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #15

It sounds like a bad short on one of the wires, until you find and disconnect it you are going to keep having proplems

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951