Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Galfer SS line banjo torque?? (Answer from Galfer)

Okay, I just received my Galfer front 3 in 1 front line. The package lists specs for aluminum bolts and specs for stainless steel bolts. How do I know which ones I have included? Don't say magnet because some stainless will not stick to magnets. I want to do the job tomorrow and can't find the info anywhere online and Galfer is closed.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Kybenz; 03-08-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Stainless bolts will be heavier than aluminum, and aluminum is softer than stainless.

Take a file to one of the bolts where it does not matter. If it files easy it is aluminum.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

I've never seen aluminum banjo bolts. Not sure I'd trust them, lots of pressure on brake lines......

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 03-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
I've never seen aluminum banjo bolts. Not sure I'd trust them, lots of pressure on brake lines......
Not sure these are aluminum either. I am just mystified that Galfer would list these two different specs but not tell me which they are in the kit. Just want to be SURE as I don't want to snap a bolt.
Going to be in the 60's here next week. got my new rear tire on, new rear pads, all fluids flushed except front brakes, new battery. I wanna ride!!!! Been out of the saddle too long.......Hard to ride in 20 inches of snow.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

I just installed the same kit on my bike yesterday. The specs are:
Stainless steel - 15-17 lbs
Aluminum - 12-15 lbs
The specs are listed on Galferusa.com. Hope this helps out and good luck with install. I had some difficulties connecting the lines to the spliter under the triple tree. There is very little clearance under the chrome cover and the lightbar. I removed the lightbar and used a dremel tool to cut the bottom of the chrome cover for more clearance. The cutout is not noticeable once the lighbar is reinstalled. Have fun.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybenz View Post
Not sure these are aluminum either. I am just mystified that Galfer would list these two different specs but not tell me which they are in the kit. Just want to be SURE as I don't want to snap a bolt.
Going to be in the 60's here next week. got my new rear tire on, new rear pads, all fluids flushed except front brakes, new battery. I wanna ride!!!! Been out of the saddle too long.......Hard to ride in 20 inches of snow.
Doubt you have aluminum banjo bolts, but you are threading into aluminum callipers with copper crush washers, so I am not understanding how there would be seperate torque values depending on the banjo nut. IMO don't over torque, I would use the lower value and check for any leakage after bleeding.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Doubt you have aluminum banjo bolts, but you are threading into aluminum callipers with copper crush washers, so I am not understanding how there would be seperate torque values depending on the banjo nut. IMO don't over torque, I would use the lower value and check for any leakage after bleeding.
That's kind of been my plan of attack.
Start with the low range and check for leaks.
Looks like the easiest way to finagle the old line out is side cutters, Snip,snip.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
I just installed the same kit on my bike yesterday. The specs are:
Stainless steel - 15-17 lbs
Aluminum - 12-15 lbs
The specs are listed on Galferusa.com. Hope this helps out and good luck with install. I had some difficulties connecting the lines to the spliter under the triple tree. There is very little clearance under the chrome cover and the lightbar. I removed the lightbar and used a dremel tool to cut the bottom of the chrome cover for more clearance. The cutout is not noticeable once the lighbar is reinstalled. Have fun.
so, did your kit come with stainless bolts?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Talk about service!!!! I shot them an email at 10:30 on a Sunday, 1/2 hour later I get this reply.
So, the torque value has to do with the fittings, NOT the bolts.

The part number you indicate has stainless, silver color banjos.
Sandro

Sent from my HTC One on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network

To: "tech@galferusa.com" <tech@galferusa.com>
Subject: Banjo bolt torque
Date: Sun, Mar 8, 2015 06:58

Hi,
I have a FK003d411-3 kit that I am installing.
The directions list specs for stainless and aluminum banjo bolts. Which does this kit have?

Thank You,
Rob

Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #10

Kybenz, my kit came with aluminum bolts.
2013 Voyager

Old 03-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #11

Just finished up. Sucked out the old fluid. Old line came off easy, did have to lower the lightbar to access the splitter bolt, disconnected the caliper bolts and threaded the top line outta the tree.
Gotta say Galfer makes a quality product. All the fittings lined up just like the factory ends. Bleeding was fairly simple as I have a bleeder that hooks to my air compressor and vacuums the fluid.
Amazing how much smaller in diameter these new lines are, really "debulks" the fork area.

Last edited by Kybenz; 03-08-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Kybenz, I have to agree with you on the "debulks" the fork area. Finished up with mine around the same time as you. Great looking lines. Now I'm waiting for the clutch and rear brake lines to come in so that they can be changed.
2013 Voyager

Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
Kybenz, I have to agree with you on the "debulks" the fork area. Finished up with mine around the same time as you. Great looking lines. Now I'm waiting for the clutch and rear brake lines to come in so that they can be changed.
Same plan here. Got the 3 in 1 front set up for $88.20 so I am looking for a deal.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

I will be installing my Galfer lines today. I got front, rear and clutch. I purchased them from Powersport Superstore out of Cedar Park, TX. I talked to them on the phone and they honored their Amazon price. They were a pleasure to work with and shipping was quick.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #15

Kybenz,
Since I am installing mine today I sent an e-mail to Galfer. Here is the response from Chris Phelps at galfer.
While we don’t have specific instructions for the D267-3, rear and clutch kits, they are all direct replacements for the factory lines. The front 3-line kit reuses the factory splitter/distribution block and all connections use banjo bolts. Standard fittings are stainless unless specified otherwise when ordering and are silver color. They should be torqued to 15-17 ft/lbs and a single crush washer should be used between each mating surface on the banjo, bolt and master/slave (we have included several extra washers in each kit). Once installed, properly bleed the system with a fresh bottle of brake fluid (preferably with the brake pads removed to avoid contamination). If you have questions on the bleeding procedure or anything else, just let us know. I attached some installation tips for reference. Thanks