Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Vaq. brake light trim removale

Hi guys, has anyone removed the chrome trim piece from around the rear brake light? I've checked the manual (frame, chapter 15-21), and it shows the brake light assembly is two pieces with the lens portion being screwed/bolted but...as far as I can tell, the chrome trim looks like it might be fastened by way of some type of "tape", of which very little specific detail or info. as how to removal or installation of the trim piece (without breaking or damaging).Any info. would be appreciated thanks. Cheers.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MET-RICK; 01-24-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #2

if it is installed with 3m tape you should be able to use monofilament fishing line to work it loose using a sawing motion.also I would first heat it up with a hair dryer.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 01-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Thumbs Up Vaq. brake light trim removale

Thanks landman, the heat gun and fishing line is a good idea. I can't find any other info. that shows anything else other than the reference to the "tape", I was hoping it would 'pop' out like the ignition trim ring on the tank. Since I only want to remove it so I can paint it, I think I'll just leave it on and mask and paint /(plasti-dip) it right on the bike and avoid any problems removing or reinstalling it. Thanks again for the reply, cheers.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MET-RICK View Post
Thanks landman, the heat gun and fishing line is a good idea. I can't find any other info. that shows anything else other than the reference to the "tape", I was hoping it would 'pop' out like the ignition trim ring on the tank. Since I only want to remove it so I can paint it, I think I'll just leave it on and mask and paint /(plasti-dip) it right on the bike and avoid any problems removing or reinstalling it. Thanks again for the reply, cheers.
let us know and show some pics if you can I'm interested in this myself also seen over the weekend dupli-color also make some of this stuff, advertised on one of those car/truck shows

Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Skullbagger...since I'm leaving this on the bike to paint, I'm going to have to wait until the weather warms up a bunch (2 or 3 months) before I can get to it. I'll update with pic.s when it happens. Cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MET-RICK; 01-29-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

That bezel does separate from the lens and it's a mechanical interface. I removed mine when I had the bezel painted. I'll see if I can find a picture, but the best that I can remember is that there is 1 or 2 screws and then it clips together (I recall it being a bit of a PITA).

Update:
I couldn't find any pics of the bezel removed, but I think once the screws were out it had to be pulled either up or down as well as out. It was some sort of compound motion. I realize that doesn't help much except to let you know that it's not held on by tape.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by Devin W; 01-30-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MET-RICK View Post
Skullbagger...since I'm leaving this on the bike to paint, I'm going to have to wait until the weather warms up a bunch (2 or 3 months) before I can get to it. I'll update with pic.s when it happens. Cheers
ok that will, work good luck on the painting

Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin W View Post
That bezel does separate from the lens and it's a mechanical interface. I removed mine when I had the bezel painted. I'll see if I can find a picture, but the best that I can remember is that there is 1 or 2 screws and then it clips together (I recall it being a bit of a PITA).

Update:
I couldn't find any pics of the bezel removed, but I think once the screws were out it had to be pulled either up or down as well as out. It was some sort of compound motion. I realize that doesn't help much except to let you know that it's not held on by tape.
Thanks Devin, I have no idea then what the reference to tape is about in the manual as previously mentioned, but/and it did not show any other fastenings for the trim piece...it's all 'clear as mud' to me now. I guess it's on to the next puzzle. Cheers