Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Vaquero questions.

A friend of mine is selling his 2012 Vaquero, I have a 2007 Nomad and want to upgrade to a Voyager but this may be a deal i cant pass up. Couple questions to the group. would need to upgrade to a touring seat, no way my wife will ride on the stock seat. suggestions ? Also would like to add a trunk. I know I can get a Wompus rack and a truck for the Vaquero does anyone know if they make a quick release setup ? pictures of what other folks in the group have done to their Vaquero's would be appreciate too.. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

Best thing to do is a search on the forums, I seem to recall a number of posts on various mods to the Vaquero like the ones you are asking about, bottom line is anything is possible if you are willing to spend the time and money to do it.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I would pass on the Vaquero. Adding a tour pack is doable but it won't look the same and the cost of that plus the cost of the seat will more than add up to a Voyager. The Vaq is an awesome bike, but it doesn't seem to be what you need.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

A forum member here has his Vaq set-up with a nice seat for his passenger and a real cool I believe removable trunk. I'll send him a pm so he can look at your thread and offer his suggestions/recommendations.

RACNRAY

Old 11-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #5

Bapps, I've had wompus rack with a touring pack done. It's very easy and will run you around $350 with everything ($250 for wompus rack and $100 for mutazu tour pack). I later upgraded to a quick release tour pack set up. That my friend is a much, much costlier option... It requires KQR parts which are not cheap. You need KQR mounting brackets (Part # K53020-405 cost $160), KQR passenger backrest (Part # K53020-400 cost $500), KQR Luggage rack (Part # K53020-408 cost $120) and mutazu trunk (cost $100). Grand total of my current set up around $880 plus minor fabrication. Not cheap but gives you lots of option. You can put trunk on or off in second with a turn of a key or you can put passenger backrest only on and off in just few minutes. I am actually looking to sell my KQR trunk set up but shipping it would cost an arm and a leg so has to be picked up. Will try to post pics tomorrow if I have time

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

For riding two up and touring, I'd say there are better choices than the Vaquero. Unless you want to invest a bunch more money making it work, look for a purpose built touring bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 11-28-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I like the stock seat but wifey wont go near the Vaq with that on the bike. Xmas is likely bringing me a new Mustang seat with driver and passenger back rest. Costs slightly more than the Vaq quick release backrest alone.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Sorry man, just my opinion but that trunk doesn't look like it belongs on that Vaquero.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Sorry man, just my opinion but that trunk doesn't look like it belongs on that Vaquero.
Yeah it does look out of place, like an after thought.
But if it works for him and he's happy that is what matters.
It is not my bike, that is what Cindy tells me when I complain about her Victory anyway
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

Looks like the backrest is more comfortable than the passenger seat !

Old 11-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

The trunk makes a huge difference for the passenger. My girl loves it and although it comes off in seconds I am so used to the extra storage space I never take it off.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #13

I'm doing something similar to mine and will post pics when finished. May be spring before done though. But, the wife unit likes the extra space when she rides with me. When she isn't one the back, I can loosen a couple bolts and slide it off and tighten them back up. Just takes a few seconds. I prefer the bike without the trunk, but it does help on long trips to have it. LOL
BTW, I have the Mustang seat rather than stock, so the trunk merges with the bike a little better than with stock seat.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
For riding two up and touring, I'd say there are better choices than the Vaquero. Unless you want to invest a bunch more money making it work, look for a purpose built touring bike.

the Vaq is an awesome 2up touring bike! mind you NOT as it comes stock! i added the kawa gel touring seat,love it! passenger loves it! added the kawa backrest (not cheap but the best i ve seen anywhere) added a rear luggage rack and a Kuryakyn(sp?) hard bag to it, i also made custom top rail saddle bag racks (they do sell these i just wanted my own look made of aluminum diamond plate) that i tie on bags when i tour, added a taller windshield, i ve done pretty much the exact same thing on my previous nomad and now my vaq, and i have almost 100k miles tourning between the 2 bikes with this setup, loved every mile of it!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

It took me several months to make the light bar, light bar mount, repair the trunk, the trunk mount and wire in the lights. The trunk was last made in 1981. It's an MCA. Mallotts Custom Accessories. I had one on a Honda I had back then. The seat and back rests are from Corbin. My wife is real happy with the Corbin seat. She tried the factory seat a few times and was hurting so much from it she didn't want to ride as long as it was on this skoot.

Depending on your skill sets and how much you want to spend you can do a lot to make it your custom ride. I had thought about a Voyager. But I'm glad I went with the Vaquero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4860.jpg (89.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4910.jpg (86.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4913.jpg (97.4 KB, 51 views)

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.