Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Advanced Member

. . . and more overtime

We are going crazy tryng to finish out pre-buy on this past winter's heating oil.
Mon - off holiday
Tues - 10 hours
Wed - 12 hours
Thurs - 12 hours
Fri - 11 hours (my day off)
Sat - 6:00 m - ?
I ended up getting another driver's manifest and spent the day over in Hartland/Windsor/W Windsor/Brownsville Vermont. Gorgeous country. Spent about 1/3 of my day running around dirt roads in the hill country. Very, very beautiful. If I wasn't so busy I would stop to take pix. Mt Ascutney stands majestic as a reference point in my hectic day. I used to live in Windsor a couple of years ago and I have delivered in this area several times before. I am off Sunday and back to work Monday and one of the few drivers with a delivery load as today is the last day of pre-buy. Things will slow down quite a bit, but the stops will be much more spread out and much fewer drivers on the road. I am hoping that I am in a favorable status for getting a delivery load throughout the summer. Work projects kind of suck when you don't know what you are going to do when you go into work. Last year we inventoried and washed trucks, landscaped the building we work out of, did some landscaping fixes out at customer's where there was a spill that had been cleaned up, etc. I'd rather come in early, get my pack of delivery orders and vamoose out of there. My domestic situation is a shambles; out of clean underwear & work sox and not enough to put together a decent meal in the fridge. Sunday will be laundry, little bit of food shopping, fix up a good bachelor pot of vittles to last a few days and if raining watch racing, but ride motorcycle if not.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

. . . and more overtime

You may as well work a bit more now while the work is there. I had a job once that was seasonal, and from spring until about Aug a 14 hour day was average 6 days a week. And if any equipment needed repair we came in Sun. to fix it. Im glad I don't do that now as I wouldn't be able to anyways. It was nice to see the paychecks pile up in the bank, since I didn't have time to spend any of them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

. . . and more overtime

our OT sucks right now, Im just glad to have a JOB, but when Heating season hit we are usually out full bore,, GOING to need the OT to Pay for heat.. :'( sucks that its now about 700$ a tank of oil.... I canceled the Vt ride because of the sucky weather... for May its friggin cold....Had to put the furnace on to take the chill off..............Later,Rich

Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 AM   #4

. . . and more overtime

Take it easy. Don't over work yourself too much. Yes the paychecks are nice but getting sick because your over worked and tired is not worth it.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Advanced Member

. . . and more overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
our OT sucks right now, Im just glad to have a JOB, but when Heating season hit we are usually out full bore,, GOING to need the OT to Pay for heat.. :'( sucks that its now about 700$ a tank of oil.... I canceled the Vt ride because of the sucky weather... for May its friggin cold....Had to put the furnace on to take the chill off..............Later,Rich
I've had my windows open for days now. The North Pomfret Post Office is downstairs and they have electric heat and LuAnn must like to keep it toasty down there because their heat comes up here. I'm glad that I took this apartment because heat is included with the rent; whew! I think the gap roads must have gotten some pretty good rain. Over in the CT River Valley we didn't get any rain until after 2:00 pm. The mountains the gap roads cross block out lots of the rain. I'm sure they will schedule another ride. I might go out for a ride tomorrow if the radar looks clear. Need to sleep in and then do laundry and some grocery shopping because I have another load for Monday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Advanced Member

. . . and more overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
You may as well work a bit more now while the work is there. I had a job once that was seasonal, and from spring until about Aug a 14 hour day was average 6 days a week. And if any equipment needed repair we came in Sun. to fix it. Im glad I don't do that now as I wouldn't be able to anyways. It was nice to see the paychecks pile up in the bank, since I didn't have time to spend any of them.
That's the reason I grabbed as much as I could when it came available. I got in 54 hours for last week and will end up with 61 hours this week. I'm pretty tired now, but with tomorrow off I have M-Th for 40 hours and then three day weekends for the forseeable future. Ah, life is good.!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Advanced Member

. . . and more overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakals
Take it easy. Don't over work yourself too much. Yes the paychecks are nice but getting sick because your over worked and tired is not worth it.
I agree. I seem to be able to pace myself pretty well and not wear myself out. I haven't had to take a sick day in the last 5 years; well maybe one time, but I just don't remember being out sick. I had to take lots of sick time in 2000 because I had become burned out working for the government in an office job. I'll be back to 4 10 hour days and three day weekends Monday. I got shafted out of $600 so this will kind of make up for it; forgive and forget and move on.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
Advanced Member

. . . and more overtime

LOL I know where your coming from on overtime. I normally work what we call the southern swing just 8hr shifts. midnight,evenings and days. Well we have a guy out for surgery and no one on his shift to cover it so now I'm on 12's midnights. Started May the 28th next day off will be June 13 then back to 12's but days this time. I get my weekend off the 21st. Hoping to go to the coast and go deep sea fishing.
VBA #00077

Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #9

. . . and more overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
LOL I know where your coming from on overtime. I normally work what we call the southern swing just 8hr shifts. midnight,evenings and days. Well we have a guy out for surgery and no one on his shift to cover it so now I'm on 12's midnights. Started May the 28th next day off will be June 13 then back to 12's but days this time. I get my weekend off the 21st. Hoping to go to the coast and go deep sea fishing.
You should try to run up to the Eastern Rally on the 21st or is it to far a ride for that short time?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Advanced Member

. . . and more overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
You should try to run up to the Eastern Rally on the 21st or is it to far a ride for that short time?

only 744 miles . yea little to far for a day ;)
VBA #00077