Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
You never know

A good friend of mine who owns the local Suzuki dealership just lost his 24 year old son this weekend. His son's name was Mike. Mike was raised on motorcycles and was a drag racer and rode bikes off road as well. He always observed safety rules and wore his gear, helmet - leather - gloves. This weekend he and a friend had traffic cones out in an empty parking lot and were practicing maneuvers of some kind. This is where the story gets fuzzy. Mike hit a curb, then there was mention of being thrown into a tree and landing on his helmet. He never got up. Something tore loose in his skull and it was all over.

Don't know if he was going way too fast or if it was just a freak accident. Does not matter. He is gone and my friend is living through hell right now. I went over to see him yesterday after I heard the news and he was glad to see me. He has amazing faith in God and is drawing what little comfort and a great deal of courage from his faith.

Helmets and leather and gloves and boots don't make us invicible. They only help with glancing blows. Please, slow down and ride safe.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #2

You never know

That is a real shame. A couple summers ago I was driving through a parking lot at dusk. A guy and a girl were riding a bike and ran over a parking curb that they didn't see. It tossed both of them up in the air and the bike came crashing down on its side. It was disturbing to watch. Neither of them were wearing any protective clothing. I pulled over to ask them if they were all right. They said they were fine jumped back on the bike and rode off............you never know......Ride Safe and ride smart!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #3

You never know

So sorry to hear of your friends loss Idaho, and I'm glad you shared this with us, because as you said, safety gear doesn't make us invincible it sometime cuts down the damage. But there is no substitute for common sense & good judgment.
We will pray for your friends son.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #4

You never know

Very sorry to hear of the this and I wish your friend strength to endure it, losing a child anyway is about as bad as it gets.

Your comments remind me of some advise I got early in my riding career to not let all the protective gear lead to the invincible or even adequate-protection mentality - but not necessarily a factor in this case, mistakes are made.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #5

You never know

Very sorry to hear about this, its tragic when it happens to such a young person. About 6-7 years ago a freind of mines 16 y/o son was killed in an ATV accident on their property. Apparently a tree fell across the trail overnight and he hit it when he came around a bend. Part of growing old is being lucky enough to stay alive through our experiences.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #6

You never know

Don't like to think about parents losing there children. It is supposed to be the other way around.
Your friends son sounds like he was always safety conscious and trying to improve his skills. Freak accidents happen.
Let your friend know he is in our thoughts.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

You never know

When somebody dies doing something as benign as parking lot practice, it makes me wonder how close to death, but "just missed it" we really are.

I may have been inches from death at times that I thought were just fine. Who knows?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
You never know

sorry to hear that bud.........

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Top Contributor

You never know

I'm sorry to hear about this loss Bud.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
You never know

Sorry to hear about your friends Son Idaho. Please let them know they're in my thoughts and prayers!! It does make us stop and think.....

Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #11

You never know

So sorry to hear about your friends loss. His faith is all that can help him to endure this tragedy. You are so right when you say "You never know". Several years ago a friend of mine who has been riding nearly all of his 45 years on street and dirt bikes lost his life while road testing his son's ATV after tuning it up. He crossed a set of RR tracks too fast and was thrown off. He died of a broken neck and severed spine. His son and wife were waiting for him and heard the multiple sirens not giving them much thought. A Louisiana State Trooper stopped by their home to break the news to them. When our time is up it's a done deal.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #12

You never know

Sorry to hear that but thanks for sharing.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing