Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Questions to Female Owners/Riders

Hello everyone, I'm a lurker, and I'll say this quietly, I also ride a 93 HD FXLR. My old body, Oh, I'm a middle aged woman, does not like the hard ride of the Harley anymore. So, I'm here courteous of Trip, to ask questions.

Being a women, I would enjoy hearing from other female owners who are riding their Nomads now. I have many questions about their experiences in lowering the bike so their feet will be flat on the ground. Since I'm only 5'4" now, due to shrinkage with age, what modifications have been done to their bikes to make their ride enjoyable.

So, if any ladies would like to chime in, please, do, I would love to hear how you changed your bike.

I'm looking for a bike now, but the prices are going thru the roof for used ones. If the modifications can be done to get it lower, then I'll seriously search for the right bike for me.

Skeet
aka Karen in Nashville

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #2

I know two women riders that put thicker soles on their riding boots. One of them has boots with soles that are several inches thick. I think both of them had the seat modified to reduce the height a bit without actually lowering the bike. Just a thought if you haven't considered it. :)
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg
I know two women riders that put thicker soles on their riding boots. One of them has boots with soles that are several inches thick. I think both of them had the seat modified to reduce the height a bit without actually lowering the bike. Just a thought if you haven't considered it. :)
I'm sorry Mark, but I'm sitting here picturing a female Herman Munster.

Oh, where are my manners? Welcome aboard, Skeet!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #4

Ok I am not really a member, but my husband is. I have ridden the 04 Blue/silver Nomad 1500 and put a mustang seat and risers, it fit me quite well at 5'5". I really do like the feel of the 1500's. This bike was very comfortable for me, but I finally traded it in with 58,000 miles. I now have a 08 red/black nomad 1600, we put 1 inch lower progressive shocks on the back and it really did make a big difference for me. I have put on a mustang seat and phat II risers. This was a must for comfortable riding for me. It has taken about 2000 miles for me to get comfortable with the bike. It is everything, I was assured it would be by my husband and our friend Rick. The shocks made the front stand a little more straight up and down, making it a little easier to pick up. Which picking up a big bike it just turning the wheels away from the kickstand before getting on and up it will come. I hope this helps you. I really do like riding a nomad, it runs great at 80 or will move easy at low speeds too.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bustagut Send a message via Yahoo to bustagut

even though i am a guy i am 5"4" and i put the spring setting on 2 and i have no proble reaching the ground and it is a great ride i have a 2000 nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #6

I love the Nomad. The seat height is not a problem to me since I am 5'9". I recently ordered the Phat II risers just so my arms can be bent a little more but haven't put them on yet. I have ridden the Harley's and they just can't compare to the comfort and style of the Nomad. It is a big heavy dog though. Don't even try to keep it from falling over if it starts to go. Just step off and let the crash bars hold it up. I have dropped mine several times in parking lots and such....no big deal.

Call around to all the dealerships in your area and ask for the out the door price (TTL). Tell them this is the only call they will get from you (to keep them from fudging). Ask if they have any new Nomads left over from last year.

I don't regret buying the Nomad at all. Good luck and send me a pm if you want more info or have any questions

Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #7

Wow what a bunch of cool ladies and of course our not so tall men for kick'n in and helping out. I just admire you all. My wife is 5.3 and wants to ride, so this is a good thread I'll share with her. Thanks guys errrr girls

Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #8

Hi Skeet- Welcome :).

I am a female - age...well I have an AARP card . My Nomad is an -05 which is a 1600. I am 5'6". I am flat footed to the ground most of the time....depends on incline/decline etc. No mods to lower bike. Be sure if you have it lowered they are familiar with lowering as I was told lowering any bike affects the way it handles. I bought mine new fall of '05.....really enjoy it. I live in TN and summer before last went to Canada on it, last summer went to New York to Americade. Hope this helps.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #9

My wife doesn't spend much time on a computer and she's not a member of this forum so, I'll answer for her.
She just bought an 04 Nomad in April 08. (she has been riding a Honda Spirit 1100) the Nomad fits her quiet well. It has a Corbin seat which IMO sits lower to the frame than the OEM or the Mustang seat. It has some kind of risers on it that bring the handler bars back to a comfortable position for her (mine are aeromach but I don't know what hers are) Her riser's come back closer to the operator than mine. They'll touch the dash on the tank.
But, like Hollywood said it a heavy piece of equipment. If it starts going over let it or you'll blow out a hemorrhoid trying to prevent it.
VBA #146

Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #10
Top Contributor

thicker soles will help

Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #11

Good Morning everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. As far as my height, and some of you will not believe this, but THINNER INNER THIGHS make riding easier.... Yep, as my thighs got thicker, my legs got shorter. And having back problems added to the shrinkage. Even men shorter than me, can ride a taller bike, because they have no thighs.....go figure.

I like the idea of asking for an out the door price. I've noticed the used prices climbing up and up. When I walked into a local dealer on last Saturday, no one, no one would even talk to me. I was totally ignored. They were crowded with people, but as I was standing with my tongue hanging out over the new Nomads, not a single person came up to me to ask if I needed help. I felt like I was in a Harley dealer. So, I'll look else where.

I've fallen in love with an 2003 the beautiful Cranberry Red and Lt. Gold. they are hard to find around middle Tennessee. But if I can get a new one, then black will work also.

Thank you Ladies for your responses. The seat would be the first thing to change, add risers to get the bars back. I have been studying everything and would not like to have to change the height to keep the comfortable ride.

My job right now is to lesson the width of my rear end to fit a smaller seat and trim down my thighs to make my legs longer.

anybody have a thigh master they can send me!!!

Skeet

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #12

Maybe Suzanne Summers has an extra one around the house?

Welcome from drizzly San Diego from a passenger...can't help with your question but wanted to say 'Hey' anyways!!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #13

I just came to see what the ladies were talking about :)

Old 05-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #14

A little clarification on my other post - I too had the same problem with the local dealer ignoring me in the showroom. I knew what I wanted and had cash in my pocket but they were idiots and ignored me. It really pissed me off.
I looked up every Kawasaki dealership from Dallas southward and called everyone of them. I found the best price at Universal City Kawasaki in San Antonio. I borrowed a trailer cuz it was raining and drove 250 miles to pick it up. He has the color I wanted at the right price. I called him and told him to have it ready. Walked in, they loaded it andout the door I went. Grinning ear to ear!
Now I take my bike to the Yamaha dealership for service cuz the local Kawa dealer has idiots in the service dept. too. But that's another story.

By the way, Do you have any problems picking the bike up off the kickstand???

Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I just came to see what the ladies were talking about :)
Me too.