Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Another knock knock knock

Yet another engine noise. Don't know if I should post here but here goes. Got a vn1600 06 nomad with a knocking noise coming from the right side engine cover. I can actually feel the knock on the center top two side cover hold down bolts. Can be heard while the engine is just above idle. Pulling the clutch in or out makes no difference. Can also be heard while cruising at about 60mph while floating the throttle. It goes away above that speed. Bike has done 32000k. Checked for cam chain slap but nothing wrong there. Using 98ron fuel.
Any guru out there got any clues?
Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by muz; 01-16-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

First post here huh??? You should go to the new guy page and do an intro.

So are you talking about the two cover bolts on the right split by the Oil Fill? If so, the only thing there is the clutch. Maybe clutch problems? Has the clutch spring ever been changed? Also, how did you check the cam chain for play?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

Clutch seems fine, operation wise that is. Clutch is still original. The noise seems to be forward of the clutch. As for the chains I pulled both tensioner caps off and measured the depth of the tensioner shaft as per instructions on this forum. They both sit at 3/16" down inside the tensioner body. I know its getting close but there is a bit of fudge factor there I believe. Its not a loud knock infact sometimes I can hardly hear it. But I know its there and being a new Vulcan owner I'm not sure if its just one of those "normal" noises.
Cheers Dave

Last edited by muz; 01-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #4

I'm no guru, but I know what I would do. I would wonder what I might have done to cause the noise.

I would first assume some water in the fuel and add some alcohol or Berrymans B12. From there I would change to a slightly heavier oil and new oil filter. Next, I would tune up the motor and clean throttle body. All this is just maintenance anyway.

My Nomad knocks and makes more noise when the oil gets some time on it, especially in the summer. I am using Lucas Synthetic 10-40 and the long purolator filter.

Good luck and welcome to VBA.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #5

These motors are noisy. Is this bike completely stock? The air solenoids under the right dog bowl make alot of clacking / knocking noise at odd times. You could temporarily remove the wires to them and tape the leads up to see if it is that.
When was the oil last changed? I personally prefer not to use oil heavier than 10/40, any higher viscosity and you probably do more harm than good on cold start up.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

Bike is completely stock except for the baffles which I removed. I changed the oil and filter a couple of days ago. Checked the pre filter screen for metal but it was clean as a whistle. Used 15w50 cos its damn hot over here at the moment (we hit 112 a few days ago and heading for that again) and a genuine Kawasaki filter. Going through a few other things as billmac suggested but I think I might just push on and see if it gets worse. I will disconnect those solenoids today and see what happends. Thought they only operated when the engine is cold tho.
Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited by muz; 01-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Its normal for these motors to make a fair bit of clatter.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

Waving re another knock

These engines are noisy. Mine has a had a similar noise since new. I cant feel it as you describe but there is and always has been a noise from upper right side of cylinder. Bike now has 90,000 ks on it and still going strong. I wouldnt worry too much about it. (2008 nomad)

Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #9

Trying to ignore it. Its not really noticible when the engine warms up, which is a good thing, but being a motor mechanic for the last 40 odd years ignoring an engine noise ain't easy. Starting to think it may be a bit of piston slap. Nothing a little carbon build up around the crown won't fix eh.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
These motors are noisy. Is this bike completely stock? The air solenoids under the right dog bowl make alot of clacking / knocking noise at odd times. You could temporarily remove the wires to them and tape the leads up to see if it is that.
When was the oil last changed? I personally prefer not to use oil heavier than 10/40, any higher viscosity and you probably do more harm than good on cold start up.
Right on the money there Norm. The noise was those solenoids. Finally got around to disconnecting them after work tonight. Don't seem to make much difference disconnected or not, apart from the noise they make connected. Quiet like a church yard mouse now, well almost.
Thanks for your help guys. This is a great forum.
Muz