Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

MP3 Connection Vaquero

Got a MP3 connect cable from Tin Man on this site. Plugged it up to my Apple Shuffle Ipod. I have the volume full up and when riding at 30 mph can barely hear the music. Also, I thought the controls for the radio would control the MP3 Player...does not.

Did I get the wrong connector for the MP3 Player. Why is the sound so low? Is the MP3 player suppose to be controlled with the radio controls ? Thanks for any info....Also ...what is the other connection in the Vaquero pocket for ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Advanced Member

If you just got the mp3 connector (that plugs into the headphone jack) you won't have control of the Ipod, just volume - you need an Ipod connector (that plugs into the Ipod connector) to be able to see whats playing on the audio display and control the tunes.

As for the volume issues, you actually have two volume inputs when you connect using either of these connectors; the obvious one on the bikes radio and the one I've forgotten about a time or two on the Ipod itself. I generally have my Iphone set to almost full volume when I plug in and then ride with the bike set at 11 or 12.

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

There's 2 cables. One, probably the one you have, just plugs into the headphone jack of any type of player, Ipod included. All you can control is the volume. And you have to leave the Mp3 player running.The other cable is specifically for an Ipod. It has the Ipod plug on it. It does control the unit, changes songs, playlists etc and even charges it. You don't have to leave the Ipod running as the radio will turn it off/on. If you just have the Mp3 cable, turn up the volume on the Mp3 player, then adjust accordingly on the bike's radio.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Where do I go

If I understand correctly , there is a wire connector I can get that will allow me to control the IPOD from my radio controls ? Where do I get one of those ?....Thanks ahead of time...

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by razwrld View Post
If I understand correctly , there is a wire connector I can get that will allow me to control the IPOD from my radio controls ? Where do I get one of those ?....Thanks ahead of time...
You can buy from Kawasaki, or use this info to search around

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...CategoryID=192
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

It sounds like you have an auxiliary audio cable which simply connects the earphone out jack on the MP3 player to the aux in jack on the stereo. It only carries sound, there's no controls through it. If you want to be able to control the device, you need the expensive iPod-specific cable.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

iPod kit is money well spent.
VBA #2354

Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #8

I'm guessing if you don't have an IPod you're out of luck? Is there a USB input connection available that will play music off a USB stick - or charge / play from an Android phone?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Advanced Member

If you are looking to see your music on the Audio Display and control it from the handlebars, yes iPod/iPhone is the only way to go - And that is the only reason I went with an iPhone over an Android when I upgraded. I wanted this along with the advantages of always having a fully charged phone on my trips, and combining the phone/tunes/and a decent camera into one package so I don't need to carry extra devices/chargers when I travel - really frees up some packing space.

If you are happy just being able to plug in and play through the OEM speakers, you can get the audio connection cord and plug that into the headphone jack of your device. If you also want to charge it, you can easily wire a USB charger into the glove box of a Voyager/Vaquero

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #10

im having the same problem....I need a 30 point ipod plug female end to a 35mm jack and cant find it,,,they say it wont run the volume correctly if I can find one.....