Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada East Group

Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Question Camping Trailers

The wife and myself like to get away on the weekends as much as possible, this year more then last and have started totaling the amounts we spend on hotel rooms, with her getting Fridays off in the summer we're looking at three nights in a hotel averaging $120 to 140 a night plus food plus gas the weekends are getting expensive, anyways enough of this rambling. We have been thinking about getting a camping trailer for the bike, first question would be does anyone have any suggestions on make or style. Second question would the fact that I have never pulled a trailer with anything other than my pickup truck, what should I expect from pulling one with the bike as far as cornering, stopping etc. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks George

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #2

George there are quite a few guys on here who pull trailers and some that were camper trailers. You may get better response if you repost your question on the off topic board. Also try here, a forum dedicated to trailer towing with a bike.
http://m.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

Just saw this and decided to post a response. I had a Bunkhouse trailer I pulled to the Custer, SD rally and a few others from Florida. Loved it. It will effect your MPG and the stoping/starting distances needed are greater. As long as you load it evenly, keep tongue weight and height correct, you won't notice pulling one at speed.

If you need some specifics on models or general inforamtion, as Norm pointed out, go to the Delphi Forums MC trailer towing forum. Guys over there are great and have a ton of knowledge.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
This is another place for good info: http://www.motocampers.com/

I don't get to use my camper as much as I like. I enjoy the heck out of it. You'll have to enjoy it, because it'll be a long time before it's cost effective. The best part of having one is that when you go somewhere you have your own things, and the semi-sense of roughing it. I would strongly insist on either getting one with electric brakes or retrofitting one with them.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the response CNC, I've seen threads posted off topic but I haven't figured out how to do as of yet, I'm still a little computer retarded but I am a mean two finger typer . Kawhead I agree with you as far recouping the costs of the trailer verses hotel rooms but it does open more doors as far as where you can go and not worry about a clean hotel if you know what I mean. Thanks for the sites to visit and the info about the electric brakes, didn't know they were available on the smaller trailers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

George, I have been pulling a trailer for over 2 years now. It does take a little bit getting use to. I.ve had no issues thus far. It is convenient, since I do mostly camping on my trips. The wife, too, goes along sometimes. The notable difference is the starting and stopping. I don't feel any difference when running speed limit. Oh, and watch out when turning into service stations with the concrete barriers, you will need to swing wide to keep from hitting. Ask me how I know this.....lol
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Thumbs Up

George, I'm not sure what is giving you issues, moving around or posting in a particular sub forum, so hopefully some of the following will help. Scroll back to the top of this page, look for a box with some of the sub forums listed horizontally. Click on the first one, Vulcan Bagger forums. You are now on a page with a complete directory of all the sub forums. Scroll down to off topic (or any other sub forum you wish to enter) and click on it. To post they are all set up the same way, click on the new thread button on the upper left as you did on this forum

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136