Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

Anyone else have an Avon split?

I was almost down to the wear bars with 13,500 miles on my rear Avon Venom, when I noticed the split in the groove. I ordered a Michelin Commander II to match the one I have on the front, but I am glad I saw it before it got any worse. I had high hopes for the Avon, but it didn't match the E3 for wear and handling. It was a lot quieter though...
Now we'll see how the Michelin does.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #2

No never had that on my Avon Cobras, looks pretty minor though.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Nope, but I had one seperate. Mind you over the years I had 1 Metzler seperate, 1 Metzler get a bubble, 1 Dunlop just plain explode, and the usual Bridgestones wear out before the nubs were worn off! (those were the factory version that all manufacture's use to keep the rims from getting scratched when you roll it onto the bench to get new real tires put on!)

Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy View Post
Nope, but I had one seperate. Mind you over the years I had 1 Metzler seperate, 1 Metzler get a bubble, 1 Dunlop just plain explode, and the usual Bridgestones wear out before the nubs were worn off! (those were the factory version that all manufacture's use to keep the rims from getting scratched when you roll it onto the bench to get new real tires put on!)
What condition was the tire that exploded in? What were the conditions when it did?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Dunflop Elite, 3200 Km's, tire looked good, Dealer replaced it with no whining, sent it back to Dunlop for inspection, never got a reply back, bugged Dealer for info but he got none so we finally gave up! I was kinda off Dunflops for quite a while but I got talked into the E3's and have got them on now, tires seem to stand up mileage wise - but the back one has started to howl like the dickens and may have to come off long before it is near replacement time - not anywhere near wear bars yet - I quietend the exhaust down slightly so now it is annoying!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

What i do for whiny tires is go grind them up on a twisty road i know well Accelerating in curves leaning over more seems to sort of lessen the whining. The Dunlop ft I have is a 251 radial in it;s last stages of life, and has whined like a siren before scaring me in to thinking i was getting busted!

My trick helped that a lot, but now the tire has 12,000 miles on it, and is about dead. I can use it for a 'snow tire' but it needs new in Spring for a fact!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

I had one set of E 3's and hated the whine.
Cobra's from now on.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #8

I tried to plug a nail hole on a Avon Cobra on a 105 degree in the middle of no where. Hole keep getting bigger as I tried to plug it. I would say it was splitting. The tire might have had 1,000 miles on it. Long story, but I in a pinch, I ended up with a Cobra Venom. It has been a decent tire so far. I have about 5k miles on it.

I did not know about a whine noise, but my next tire may be an Elite 3. I am hearing some good things about that tire for us elderly cruising types. I have not had good luck with Bridgestones or Metzler 880. Bridgestone wore out quick and the Metzler separated. There's my 2 cents.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

I could not plug the rear Cobra when I ran over a broadhead in Ohio on the way back from the National.
It was a brand new tire I put on just to be safe for the trip.
I wonder if that is an inherent problem with them.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]