Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Sturgis Thoughts

Hi, been going to the Rally since the late 70's and I am amazed at how different the rally is now compared to what it used to be. It's really sad that the almighty dollar has had such a negative effect on what used to be a Great Rally. Not sure if any of the riders around here remember when the city park was open to bikers and they could camp for a couple of bucks. Or when a beer was only a couple of bucks instead of $5. I remember riding into Sturgis and only stopping once before you hit main street. Now (unless you know the back roads), there are numerous stop signs and a lot of waiting on your bike before you can even see main street. Now (IMO), it's more of a tourist rally with all the RV's, Campers and Cars competing for a parking space so they can also enjoy the $5 beer. Now at least the rally is spreading out to various towns such as Custer, Hill City, Nemo etc. Riders are getting smarter by coming (to the Black Hills) either before or after by the looks of the number of riders I've seen around here this summer. Anyway, I will probably spend an hour or two on main and after that it's riding in the Hills with visiting friends. Sorry for my rant, just some things really piss me off. If any of you folks are coming to the Rally this year, you are more than welcome to email me for my phone number. I have a garage, truck and table lift if you find yourself in a pinch while visiting. Take Care, Jody

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Seems to be the trend today the all mighty $$$ Laconia NH Ralley is the same.. Used to be fun and alittle wild and didnt cost a million $ to visit for a week.. Also they like other bike event are trying to make it family friendly(IE: kids etc) No boobs being flashed, Tickets for noisy pipes and showing off.. I dont go anymore as the lines and $$$ are not worth the effort! IMO

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #3

Which is why, at this point, I have no interest in doing Sturgis. Rode the area at our Rally a few years back. I enjoy our smaller get togethers and really prefer riding alone or with only a few other bikes.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Sturgis sounds like Laconia, I started going in '73 and it has lost it's flavor, with the kids in strollers and the 13-16 y.o. girls trying to look as bad as they can. It is very expensive to be there. Of the group of us that used to go, none have been in the last 2 years. It's really sad. I miss the past a lot!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

I went the week before the rally in 2008. The week before was fun. All the venders were there setting up, but we were still able to ride without any problem. We parked on Main St., not a mile away.

We left the Sunday morning that the rally began.

I will be riding to the Sturgis area on the 24th and spending the 25th site seeing before continuing east to Maine.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

I enjoyed Sturgis in June during our National Rally. You could park anywhere on Main Street, go into any shop, and just relax. I'm not into huge crowds. I live 60 miles from the Big Easy and never go there for Mardi Gras. And if you think anything goes at Sturgis Bike Week, you need to come to New Orleans for MG. Wild doesn't even come close.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

I'm sure MG (although I've never been there) is a lot more wild than Sturgis. Back in the 70's, Sturgis used to be wild, now, everywhere you look (at the Rally) you have 3 police officers walking together dodging the tourists gawking at the weekend bikers. For myself, I like to cruise around the Black Hills in fall when it's cooler and less dodging the RV's, Campers and Tourists. I bought my nomad in 2010 and I believe the nomad rally was a year before up in Custer. From the pictures I've seen it looks like a lot of people stayed at the Bavarian Inn (which I rode past just today), but not sure...I really wish I would have had my nomad while alot of you folks were here...Oh Well...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #8

Ah yes, the Bavarian Inn. Best Reuben Sandwich I've had. Really enjoyed our stay there andd hope to do it again.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco View Post
Seems to be the trend today the all mighty $$$ Laconia NH Ralley is the same.. Used to be fun and alittle wild and didnt cost a million $ to visit for a week.. Also they like other bike event are trying to make it family friendly(IE: kids etc) No boobs being flashed, Tickets for noisy pipes and showing off.. I dont go anymore as the lines and $$$ are not worth the effort! IMO
Sounds like its hayday is over. If I want to see kids, I'll go to the mall.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #10

Wink

I've never been but know what y'all are talking about. Several of the rally's that I used to enjoy are now not worth going to. But, because I have never been to Sturgis, I am thinking about joining a couple of my buddies that are planning to go. I'd like to experience it once and haven't quite made up my mind. The plan will be to tent camp. Not looking forward to the cost, but the trip should be fun.

I guess I'll post more when I know more.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #11

If you haven't been to the Sturgis Rally I think you should experience it at least once. It is somewhat overwhelming the first time you ride down mainstreet between thousands of other motorcycles.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Mega-Contributor

I would go back to the Black Hills area in a heartbeat, but I don't know that I'd go during the rally. I really liked riding that area. I don't care for crowds and if I want to be around a bunch of bikers, Jerome AZ is only a few hours away from me. It's full of bikers from the Valley on weekends.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17