Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

GPS Navigation Cable K5302-404

Recently purchased this Kawasaki adaptor cable (K5302-404) from my dealer. I'm trying to hook up my Garmin Zumo 665 to my 2010 Voyager radio. According to the description on the cable it is supposed to allow the GPS audio prompts to be heard over the radio.
Reading the instructions included with the adaptor, I'm supposed to insert the three audio leads into the receptacle to the left side of the radio.
I couldn’t find any such receptacles.

So I brought my ride to the dealership and asked them to finish installing this Kawasaki provided Cable. They cant find the receptacle either!!
I pick up the bike on Friday so that I could ride over the weekend. Returning it to them tomorrow morning, they said they will contact Kawasaki Technicians and get the scoop.

Has anyone used this cable and if so can you tell me where the adaptor is supposed to plug into?
Would prefer not to pay the dealership to do this what was supposed to be a simple install!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Uh, could they be INSIDE the fairing? Did you or the dealer remove the fairing and look?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPhiltoe View Post
Recently purchased this Kawasaki adaptor cable (K5302-404) from my dealer. I'm trying to hook up my Garmin Zumo 665 to my 2010 Voyager radio. According to the description on the cable it is supposed to allow the GPS audio prompts to be heard over the radio.
Reading the instructions included with the adaptor, I'm supposed to insert the three audio leads into the receptacle to the left side of the radio.
I couldn’t find any such receptacles.

So I brought my ride to the dealership and asked them to finish installing this Kawasaki provided Cable. They cant find the receptacle either!!
I pick up the bike on Friday so that I could ride over the weekend. Returning it to them tomorrow morning, they said they will contact Kawasaki Technicians and get the scoop.

Has anyone used this cable and if so can you tell me where the adaptor is supposed to plug into?
Would prefer not to pay the dealership to do this what was supposed to be a simple install!
If you look inside the left pocket, you will a see hole in the bottom, the cables are probably in there, remove the pocket from the fairing, there are screws holding it in, you should see the two cables when you have the pocket out.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

I was under the impression that only the 2012 Voyager/Vaquero had the inputs on the radio to hook up a GPS....but I have been wrong before :-)
2011 Vaquero-sold

Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcruizer View Post
I was under the impression that only the 2012 Voyager/Vaquero had the inputs on the radio to hook up a GPS....but I have been wrong before :-)
I have a 2010 and have both hook ups, for the ipod and the auxiliary, both were in the left pocket but I had to remove the box to get to them, You then just feed them through the hole and put the box back in, and viola ready to hook up. I did google the part number K5302-404 and came up empty, so you may be correct.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokey; 05-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

The instructions that came with the adaptor cable distinctly say the hookup is accessed by removing the headlight. Then the hookups are to the left of the radio (Left of the rider). Which is the side where the IPod hookup is located in the compartment.
But even in that compartment the hookups are not for the type of leads provided on the Navigation cable..
Anyway I'm droping it off at the dealer tomorror morning. They have access to Kawasaki's Technical help desk.

I will post what they tell me! Hope they get it working by Thursday, I'm leaving Friday A.M. for Rolling Thunder in DC.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Ron

Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

Well I just checked my schematic and the only connection that show are for the Ipod and the auxiliary, the other side is the CB Radio and XM, there is nothing there that I can see for the GPS, perhaps azcruizer was correct and that is only for the 2012 models.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

The correct part number is K10400-046 for the audio cable, the K53020-404 is the adapter to mount the Zumo to the stock Kawasaki GPS mount.
Instructions for the cable are below
http://www.kawasaki.com/Site/kawasak..._K10400046.pdf

Old 05-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

Looks like Jim was correct, only for the 2012 models, looks like a refund is in order.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #10

I used a similar cable on my bike. The 2012 has a set of connectors in the fairing (not the connectors in the fairing box) specifically for GPS. They are more like standard "bullet" connectors.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I used a similar cable on my bike. The 2012 has a set of connectors in the fairing (not the connectors in the fairing box) specifically for GPS. They are more like standard "bullet" connectors.
That's the problem, he has a 2010, looks like it doesn't have the connectors, even the installation instructions say 2012 Voyager.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #12

From the Information I've seen the Item K53020-390 Is simply a mount that some how clamps to or replaces the handle bar block.
The Note on the item states the you still have to supply the GPS cradle to hold the GPS itself.
I am using the Garmin 665 motorcycle GPS. The Handle bar Mount (RAM Mounts) and Cradle are supplied as part of the Garmin package. The Garmin mount is hard wired with a female 1/8 audio lead, a separate lead for the XM antenna and another for a communication system. It's an awesome setup where by simply snapping the 665 into the
cradle and the connections are made.

The Kawasaki item K5302-404 is just an adapter cable, on one end is a 1/8 standard male audio jack ( this will plug right into the Garmin Audio Lead previously mentioned) the other end of this adapter is 3 separate audio leads, which I assume are Left / Right / Common..
But you could still be correct in that the connections are only available on the 2012 Voyager. The installation instructions do say the the Navigation connections are on the Left side of the Radio!!!!
If that is true then I will have to somehow feed my audio into the IPod adapter!!!
Won't be able to listen to the radio while using the GPS. But the Garmin 665 Has slot for a Micro SD card and provides an Audio player, so not all will be lost!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #13

Garmin Connection

Hi, REPhiltoe - were you ever successful connecting your Garmin? I'm trying to do the same with a 2011 Vaquero, but all my research points to the cable only working with 2012 and 2013. I could try to switch out the radio, but probably very expensive. Did you find a workaround?

Rich

Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Top Contributor

REPhiltoe. I can barely read your posts. Black on grey background is tough to read.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #15

Swap Radios!

Hey, I got an idea: how about someone with a 2012 or 2013 Vaquero swap radios with me from my 2011 Vaquero? I'll pay a cash bonus!!! (of course, if you ever plan to connect a Zumo, you wouldn't want to do this.)

Whaddya think? Great idea, huh? HAHAHAH

Tags
garmin zumo 665, gps, k5302-404, navigation cable