Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

DARKSIDE fuel milage

I was wondering how other DARKSIDERS are doing with their fuel milage. I have had an unexpected rise in mine. I am up a full 1mpg. This is after a couple of tanks and I have a Speedohealer so I know this as accurate between the old and the new tire. So how is everyone else doing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #2

I can only imagine you ODO is reading slightly different than it was previously. Possibly even with the healer? Not too sure how those work.

There's no reason why you fuel economy would increase that I can think of.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Top Contributor

There should actually be MORE rolling resistance as there's more of your tire on the ground (the way it should be ). More rolling resistance should (in theory, at least) equal poorer gas mileage.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
What type rides did you take to check the mileage? Long trip or short trips. Long trips will increase your mpg while a lot of short trips will decrease it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorboy View Post
I was wondering how other DARKSIDERS are doing with their fuel milage. I have had an unexpected rise in mine. I am up a full 1mpg. This is after a couple of tanks and I have a Speedohealer so I know this as accurate between the old and the new tire. So how is everyone else doing?
I'm not familiar with the c/t's being used, but simple math might explain his mpg improvement.

If he has used his speedo healer to calibrate his speedo/odo to compensate for the c/t's different circumference then we can assume it is now accuratly recording the speed/mileage. His last statement suggests that, but can he elaborate on this aspect?

If the c/t circumference is larger than what he had, then his engine is turning fewer rpm at any given speed. Lower engine revs sometimes equates to better mpg.

When i went from the standard size rear tire to the next larger size, i too saw an increase in mpg, almost 1 more.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
That's what I was wondering Ray... I went to a 185/75/16 and it corrected most of my speedometer error but did make my ODO a little slow compared to the GPS.. so I get my MPG calculated from it... In warm 70+ weather I'm getting 41mpg on the highway riding double at speeds below 75.

Weather down in the 40's I lose about 4 mpg's...

I can't make an assessment on if the larger car tire is making a difference since I put it on at 10K miles and now I have 32K. 22k on the CT.. It could be bike is broken in and loose. I ride a little easier maybe because most of my riding is two up now?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Last edited by blowndodge; 02-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

1 mpg might be something else too. I get more difference than that depending on which fuel grade/brand I use. It might not be the tire at all. Was your test on the same roads, same time of day, same temp? Did you "get on it harder" or carry more weight? Was the wind different?

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

check 5 tanks then let us know your MPG.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #9

Sorry to not get back to you sooner. Life and all. I have made no changes in my daily riding, at least none that I am conscious of. I have a Bridgestone Potenza in 195/55R16 and I do notice that the engine runs just a little bit faster. I don't usually drive above 55 and am wondering if maybe I was just slightly under-revving the engine a bit. Before the CT driving at 50 in 4th seemed like I needed to shift up, but 5th seemed like I needed to down shift. Most of my commute is done in 50mph zones in a city that will stop you for 51. I'll run a few more tanks through it and report back.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #10

My high on the Nomad was 54 mpg and low was 26 mpg, both full tanks on the freeway. Same equipment. Difference was wind direction and speed. (Actually my direction: going west across South Dakota on the 26 and going east on the 54.) I see no way I could have identified or attributed a 1 mpg difference to anything I did. Tank to tank varied that much just from riding conditions and wind. A 4 mpg change, like Brad mentioned with cold weather, yeah, that was noticeable over a couple tanks as a general change in the average, around which the usual couple mile per gallon variation continued from tank to tank based on wind direction and my speed, and I learned to associate that change with cold weather. But I would never have been able to identify or attribute a 1 mpg shift (That is just 4-4.5 miles distance on a full tank.) to any specific thing.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Last edited by dank; 02-15-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #11

If we were talking about our truck, I would not mention a 1mpg change. It varies a lot. But with my bike, my last 15 to 20 tanks have all been well within .5 mpg unless I do a freeway ride or some other type of longer trip. Because I have not changed anything other than the rear tire , seeing a 1mpg improvement is kinda cool and I can only think it has to do with the tire. I'll keep checking it.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

As long as it didn't decrease your waaaaaaaay ahead of the game Rotorboy!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

My Hayabusa's gas mpg is not affected by tailwinds vs headwinds as much as my Vaquero is. The V's fairing is an aerodynamic "oopsie". As mentioned earlier heading into the wind decreases mpg substantially, and the faster i go the worse mpg i get. Nature of the beast.

RACNRAY

Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorboy View Post
If we were talking about our truck, I would not mention a 1mpg change. It varies a lot. But with my bike, my last 15 to 20 tanks have all been well within .5 mpg unless I do a freeway ride or some other type of longer trip. Because I have not changed anything other than the rear tire , seeing a 1mpg improvement is kinda cool and I can only think it has to do with the tire. I'll keep checking it.
So tank to tank you are consistently seeing variation of less than 2 miles distance traveled on 4 gallons of gas. (Less than plus or minus 0.25 mpg around your average) Hats off to you! You must have a very steady throttle hand and constant route, wind, and temperature. Our weather and road conditions must vary more here in Michigan.
Anyway, glad you like the new tire!

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Like I said mine varies widely too Dan..

Member # 0005