Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Chucksters single plate v dual plate intake

I know what the cosmetic difference is. What I'd like to know is what the air flow difference is. I'd like to keep the OEM dog dish covers (partly for a balanced look and I don't like the look of the exposed air filters) and they'll probably keep a bit more rain out of the filters, too. I'm going to add either V&H or Cobra pipes and a fuel programmer. Is there a significant difference in performance, one over the other? (Tested via the seat-of-the-pants meter is fine. ) Would the settings for a fuel programmer remain the same for either?

Basically, is the dual plate (that allows the OEM air covers) any real improvement over stock?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

I believe Jared has run both, I'm running Chuckster's single plate kit and the difference between stock setup with K&N Filter was VERY significant. I was already running V&H duals with modded baffles and after I went with the single plate I had to adjust the TFI. It really is worth it.

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712

Last edited by Hacksaw; 10-18-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I know what the cosmetic difference is. What I'd like to know is what the air flow difference is. I'd like to keep the OEM dog dish covers (partly for a balanced look and I don't like the look of the exposed air filters) and they'll probably keep a bit more rain out of the filters, too. I'm going to add either V&H or Cobra pipes and a fuel programmer. Is there a significant difference in performance, one over the other? (Tested via the seat-of-the-pants meter is fine. ) Would the settings for a fuel programmer remain the same for either?

Basically, is the dual plate (that allows the OEM air covers) any real improvement over stock?
The biggest problem with the stock intake system is the crossover tube running between the cylinders. The air filter is on the left and the air is passed through that tube to the right side, where it enters the throttle body. This tube restricts the amount air getting into the intake. Almost any intake design that eliminates this tube and draws air from the right side is an improvement.

If you want to retain the stock dog bowls, you need to make sure you are increasing the airflow into the engine, or what's the point of messing with it? If there's no increase in airflow, just leave it as is - it will look the same.

I completely removed the left side assembly and the crossover and used one of Chuckster's 7" backing plates with a K&N filter, which did increase airflow considerably.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I'm just trying to figure out if the dual plate (dog bowl) set up is a BIG difference from stock or if it's about the same. Either way, I'll ditch the crossover tube and draw air from the right side only. The left cover will be for show (and symmetry...I'm OC) only. I'm just not a huge fan of the open air cleaners unless it's something custom. Having a generic chrome cover that says "K&N" just doesn't get it for me. I could have someone fab up an original cover but by the time I pay for that (and get a matching left cover), I might as well have bought a Thunder BAK. I'm NOT paying $300 for better air flow. I'll buy chucksters single plate kit long before that.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #5

If you change to aftermarket exhaust, then a TFI before opening the air flow you'll be much better off. If you do exhaust and air flow before the TFI, you most likely won't like the way it runs.

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
If you change to aftermarket exhaust, then a TFI before opening the air flow you'll be much better off. If you do exhaust and air flow before the TFI, you most likely won't like the way it runs.
(As your avatar would say) Mmmmmm Hmmmm!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #7

here's a little more reading for you Monkman

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...t=hypercharger

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712

Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Top Contributor

hacksaw --- Thanks for the reading material. I plan exhaust, intake and fuel processor all at once this winter. I'm still not convinced the single plate is right for ME. I'd have to figure out a different cover for the air filter as the "K&N" stamped on it just looks cheesy.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #9

I have run both the single and double plate intakes. Although not significant, I DID notice a difference going to the single plate. It make perfect since that the less restrictive of the two would allow more air to flow.

The single is cheaper and also looks a lot better too.

Here's a basic write up on the subject. http://www.utahmotorcyclist.org/2011...ir-intake.html
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
hacksaw --- Thanks for the reading material. I plan exhaust, intake and fuel processor all at once this winter. I'm still not convinced the single plate is right for ME. I'd have to figure out a different cover for the air filter as the "K&N" stamped on it just looks cheesy.
This from a guy who was going to mount passenger floorboards on his crash bars?

Well "fancy", "non-cheesy" intakes can cost a lot of money.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/403-091 They don't even make these for a Nomad, though.

Ironically, I kind of thought the K&N was cheesy and was about to pull the trigger on a Thunder intake the day I crashed my Nomad. I'm glad I didn't, because I wouldn't have had anything to mount it on. Here's the one I almost ordered:
http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...ct_detail&p=20

With this insert:
http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=119
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I don't think the setup is cheesy. I think the "K&N" stamped in the cover for the air filter is. If I could find/make a cover that was different (or plain), I'd probably go for it. Non-cheesy and fancy don't necessarily have to go together. I've seen some cheesy looking, very expensive stuff and some awesome looking, very INexpensive stuff. I think alot of it is about creativity. I just don't want to look like everyone else. I might see what it would cost to have a machine shop cut me a 7" round piece of aluminum/brass/SS/etc. Might just be the ticket.

And the footboards on the crash bars was a good idea, just not with these footboards. Kuryakyn makes some footboards for highway/crash bars. Just not so big. Or as others have said....seemed like a good idea at the time. :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
I don't think the setup is cheesy. I think the "K&N" stamped in the cover for the air filter is. If I could find/make a cover that was different (or plain), I'd probably go for it. Non-cheesy and fancy don't necessarily have to go together. I've seen some cheesy looking, very expensive stuff and some awesome looking, very INexpensive stuff. I think alot of it is about creativity. I just don't want to look like everyone else. I might see what it would cost to have a machine shop cut me a 7" round piece of aluminum/brass/SS/etc. Might just be the ticket.

And the footboards on the crash bars was a good idea, just not with these footboards. Kuryakyn makes some footboards for highway/crash bars. Just not so big. Or as others have said....seemed like a good idea at the time. :)
Just ask Joe Norris (Chuckster). I can't speak for him, but he would probably sell you a 7" aluminum blank.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #13

Here is my Chucksters single plate mod.
K&N E-3402 7" filter with E-3360PK PreCharger filter wrap and a Kawi chrome cover, all from Ebay.
I tried to keep it clean and simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg single plate mod 005.jpg (86.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg single plate mod 006.jpg (88.8 KB, 103 views)
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
I just don't want to look like everyone else.
I figured that after looking at your avatar!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I figured that after looking at your avatar!!!

Monkeyman, I believe you've answered your own question through the whole thread, looks like the dual plate setup is what you seek.

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712