Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Backrest for 2010/2011 Nomad

Can you just add a drivers backrest to stock seat or do you need to buy a new seat with backrest?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #2

You can just buy a backrest for the stock seat. Kawasaki makes one and grasshopper, ultimate seats (I think) too. They are only for the stock seat and can't be used with any of the after market seats.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Grasshopper Limited. For $110 shipped, its the best investment I've made on my bike so far.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #4

I couldn't live without my Grasshopper now, it only takes about 5 mins to install. Then you can slip it in and out of the bracket in a few seconds... if you ever wanted it off.
James

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Vance & Hines slash cut slip-ons
Cobra Powerpro CVT
Thunder Air Kit, stock cover
Kuryakyn Power Point 12v adaptor
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Utopia sells a very high quality backrest and the fabric is a perfect match to the stock fabric.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Have used the u-top on other bikes and have one on order for the new Vaquero, These folks now how to make an exelent backrest and other things as well.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

I ordered the BAkUp driver backrest , and it looks great same height as the passenger backrest ,same as the seat material , fully adjustable , very comfortable .

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bakup/adjust_samples.html

Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Got the Utopia in and in about 5 min.was riding off for the test ride . Looks great and rides very well. Yes it too is adjustable in hight and angle. Hiley recemended.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Advanced Member

I tried the Grasshopper and I liked it OK. Especially for the price. I couldn't use it with my wife on the bike because it set too low and dug into her thighs. The best part about it is that it is quickly removed.

I now have the Kawasaki backrest which works well and is designed with passenger safety in mind. $$$ though.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I tried the Grasshopper and I liked it OK. Especially for the price. I couldn't use it with my wife on the bike because it set too low and dug into her thighs. The best part about it is that it is quickly removed.

I now have the Kawasaki backrest which works well and is designed with passenger safety in mind. $$$ though.

Do you have enough room for your wife with the Kaw backrest? I have the Kaw backrest & am disappointed because there's little room for the passenger & I have to take it off when the bride rides w/me. It's a PITA cuz ya have to unbolt the thing & if I'd known all that, I'd never have bought it. Wonder why they didn't make it removable for all that $$$ they charge for it? I've been considering the Grasshopper since it's easily removed. Kaw could make a great feature if they would make the passenger backrest & trunks adjustable back a couple inches & make the driver backrest removable. Looks to me like it would be pretty easy to do!

VBA #01922

Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Do you have enough room for your wife with the Kaw backrest? I have the Kaw backrest & am disappointed because there's little room for the passenger & I have to take it off when the bride rides w/me. It's a PITA cuz ya have to unbolt the thing & if I'd known all that, I'd never have bought it. Wonder why they didn't make it removable for all that $$$ they charge for it? I've been considering the Grasshopper since it's easily removed. Kaw could make a great feature if they would make the passenger backrest & trunks adjustable back a couple inches & make the driver backrest removable. Looks to me like it would be pretty easy to do!
You can buy a kawasaki passenger seat for $120, then you can just switch out seats when she rides with you.

My wife is a size 4 so no room issues. If she were larger I would just take off the backrest and lean against her. :)

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad