Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Anyone using Sena SMH 10 headset?

Hi
I bought a Sena SMH 10 Bluetooth headset. I wanted to be able to hear my Zumo 220, and Alpine radio at hwy speeds, better. My friend Brian and his son have a set and we paired them all up so we could chat when we were riding together this weekend. We could talk between the three of us, two at a time only though. We did manage to have a ::).....three way chat, twice,... but couldn't seem to make it happen consistently. There is nothing in the manual, that I could see, that mentioned where everyone could chat at the same time and hear each other at the same time. I saw reviews before I made the purchase that said that, that was a down side to the Sena SMH 10 and that it wasn't possible for everyone to be able to talk/listen/hear at the very same time. But we did get it to where we could all talk and hear each other at the same time. But do you think I/we can remember how we did it?

These headsets have a 900 meter range {1/4 -1/2 mile}, and are real clear. They will fit a half helmet. It paired up easily with my Zumo and my cell phone.
{ I don't plan to answer many calls while riding but I wanted to see if it paired up to it.} Now! I need to install the Alpine KCE-400BT adapter to my blue tooth ready radio and then I'll be able to stream my tunes through to the headset. I just haven't had the time yet though.
So I thought I'd check to see if anyone else had these headsets and could maybe help me out with my issue of a group chat.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Rick,

Are you using it on your half helmet all the time and it sounded pretty good with the music? I ride with a half helmet, and use wired earplugs, which is a pain in the a$$. Always wondered how bluetooth earphones would work.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Like I mentioned above, I haven't had the time to make my "Bluetooth ready" radio, ready yet. I still need to connect the Bluetooth adapter to my Alpine and that means getting inside the fairing. So I can't say how great the stereo/speakers are going to sound. I can only say that the reviews I've read say that the Sena SMH 10 doesn't match "in the ear" buds but sounds very good. I suggest you do what I did and Google and read the reviews.
As far as fitting a half helmet, it clamped on my half helmet easy and the mic reached my mouth without any problem. Unless you wear the cold weather zip in/out flaps on your H.H. for the speakers you'll have to design something that you can attach the speakers to. They come with "hook and loop" {Velcro} attach. so maybe sew something between the helmet straps for the hook and loop material.
I have the headset in my full face helmet right now because of lack of time. But I would like to get use to the full face and use it more often. I will be buying another helmet mount that I'll be able to move the "Jog Dial" to if I want to wear the half helmet.

When I finally get the radio unit set up I'll post as to how it sounds.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Bump

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

I have the SMH10, but have never tried a three way communication. Based on my experience on connecting to a GPS and another rider, I would suggest the following: Pair units 1 and 2, then disconnect by hitting the large button; Pair units 2 and 3 and keep the connection open; Hit the large button on unit 1. Let me know if that works.

I listen to music from my GPS, which has an MP3 player. Sounds pretty good to me.
VBA #1753
2008 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Top Contributor

thanks John, I'll give that a try in a couple/few days when I'm with those friends again.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #7

Rick, I have a question.
On my Cardo Q2 set when my wife uses her 3/4 helmet the damn wind turns on the mic at 50 mph and it stays on. I have to listen to the freekin wind noise and it is annoying as hell.
With the Sena SMH 10 unit do you have any problem with the wind turning it on.
I am considering other options so i don't have to listen to the open mic.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I have my headset on my convertible full face helmet so as it stands now I don't have that issue. I have read comments about it being an issue though. It does say on the Sena web site that this issue is eliminated if behind a windscreen. Before I bought different headsets though I'd be sure of putting a snap on face shield on her helmet and then tuck the boom mic under it. Or get her into a full face. I'm in the middle of getting use to one.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply.
As you can see in my sig pic of her, her windshield is high enough so she has to look through it. She has a face shield that flips down and it is down when riding.
I'm at a loss but I will keep trying alternatives till the problem is solved.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Here's an idea. Maybe wrap more foam around the foam that it probably already has. Maybe that'll cut the noise down. Bite the bullet and get her a full face flip up type helmet and your issue will probably be gone. She'll have more protection and you have a quieter ride. Win win!!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Now! I need to install the Alpine KCE-400BT adapter to my blue tooth ready radio and then I'll be able to stream my tunes through to the headset. I just haven't had the time yet though.
Hey rickyboy, really read into the music streaming. I have been wanting to stream music from my radio to my SENA headset. I have been told that you CAN NOT stream music from the stereo to your head set. You CAN stream music from your hand held device to the stereo. If that changes, then I want to get the same device. Could you let me know of your outcome?

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Advanced Member

I bought a Sena, but haven't attempted a 3-Way ...
(conversation, perverts!)

I got the HH adaptor when the weather started getting warm. I bought the Comply Foam earbuds after reading reviews. I've threaded the bud wires through my helmet so they stay with it.

Sena and the buds work well. I can listen to talk radio and traffic reports at highway speed at just about the same level I used before starting the bike. Listeners have no trouble understanding my side of the conversation at highway speeds, saying I sound like I'm on a speaker phone.

Had no trouble connecting SENA with my HTC Droid--once I read the directions rather than relying on my presumed knowledge of Bluetooth.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Rick, I have a question.
On my Cardo Q2 set when my wife uses her 3/4 helmet the damn wind turns on the mic at 50 mph and it stays on. I have to listen to the freekin wind noise and it is annoying as hell.
With the Sena SMH 10 unit do you have any problem with the wind turning it on.
I am considering other options so i don't have to listen to the open mic.
The beauty of the SENA is that when you are not talking you can tap the large toggle button on the side of the unit to turn off the mike. Then, when you want to talk again, just tap it to reconnect. That way, you don't have to listen to the wind. Even with a full face, I still hear the wind in my ear from my wife's open mike at speed.
VBA #1753
2008 Nomad

Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueraven
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Now! I need to install the Alpine KCE-400BT adapter to my blue tooth ready radio and then I'll be able to stream my tunes through to the headset. I just haven't had the time yet though.
Hey rickyboy, really read into the music streaming. I have been wanting to stream music from my radio to my SENA headset. I have been told that you CAN NOT stream music from the stereo to your head set. You CAN stream music from your hand held device to the stereo. If that changes, then I want to get the same device. Could you let me know of your outcome?
Rhys,
I don't know what type of radio unit you have, ...I have an Alpine iDA-X100M http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x100m/
It's my understanding that the radio needs to support the A2DP profile in order to stream music. I have been told by Alpine my unit has this profile. This is the same profile the Sena has. Here is an explanation of what A2DP is and does.

http://www.mobileburn.com/definition.jsp?term=A2DP

Here is the adapter I need to install/connect to my Alpine.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDet...B&Show=ExtInfo

My Zumo 220 also has the A2DP profile. There is another profile Sena supports and is what you are referring to I think and that is the AVRCP or "hands free profile". It will allow you to stream from your iphone or smart phone. Which is what you're doing I think.
When I get my Bluetooth adapter wired into the Alpine deck it is suppose to allow the deck to use the A2DP and the AVRCP profile. Basically making the "Bluetooth ready" radio,......ready. Alpine assured me that this deck will stream as long as I install this adapter. That might be all you need to have for whatever deck you have. It's Bluetooth ready I assume.
So.......I'm hoping it'll all work once it's finished. I'll keep you informed.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Definition of "A2DP"

The Advanced Audio Distribution Profile is a Bluetooth profile that allows for the wireless transmission of stereo audio from an A2DP source (typically a phone or computer) to an A2DP receiver (a set of Bluetooth headphones or stereo system).

So having read this, I understand what you are saying rickyboy. I went to an audio place (EHR) and they told me that you can stream from a phone or MP3 player to your stereo via A2DP. Because it is a car stereo, in Ontario, it is illegal to have headphones on when you are driving. Therefore, they don't make a car stereo that will stream to headphones because it is illegal. Keep in mind, that is what I have been told. I really hope what you are saying rickyboy that it is different because I want a stereo to stream to my SENA on my headphones too.

Keep me posted on your results. I would be interested in your findings.

Thanks

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH