Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Ride-Like-a-Pro: Thumbs up

A couple weeks ago, I started a thread about an HD-Rider who did a very confident u-turn in a crowded, busy gas station. In the discussion, Ponch mentioned that highway driving doesn't necessarily transfer to slow-speed skills. That definitely applies to me. I CAN pull off some nice tight slow speed turns, but not dependably enough to have attempted one like the HD-Rider.

So I finally broke down and bought a Ride-Like-a-Pro DVD. I watched it and yesterday went out to a school parking lot to do some of the exercises. I've improved already and noticed a tendency that, because I seldom practiced with discipline, led to inconsistent tight turn results--which was why the HD-Rider stood out to me.

Yesterday, I had little problem with left turning. Right turns, however, fluctuated because my throttle control fluctuates when the right grip comes in close to my body, I keep less control on the gas than when my arm is extended on a left turn. I guess it's the angle of my wrist. Anyway, once aware of the issue, I started improving immediately.

I've picked up most of the Motorman's tips from YouTube clips previously, but having the full package and following the exercises worked very well.

I recommend.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #2

I also heartily endorse the Ride like a Pro video.
My next door neighbor had a couple of friends come down from Penn. to ride in Rolling Thunder with him. He has a small Harley that I have never seen him ride. (He bought it last October or so. On saturday they went out riding near the Blue Ridge. That evening I went over to his house and there he sat with a bruised and road rashed arm and a bike with a broken rear brake linkage. He skidded out on a curve and admits it was his lack of experience. I told him (again) about ride like a pro and the fact that he should go out with me to learn how to handle his bike before he goes with a more experienced group who just assume he can handle his bike. He now swears he is going to get the video (and maybe even buy some protective gear. But we will see.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdarby
I also heartily endorse the Ride like a Pro video.
My next door neighbor had a couple of friends come down from Penn. to ride in Rolling Thunder with him. He has a small Harley that I have never seen him ride. (He bought it last October or so. On saturday they went out riding near the Blue Ridge. That evening I went over to his house and there he sat with a bruised and road rashed arm and a bike with a broken rear brake linkage. He skidded out on a curve and admits it was his lack of experience. I told him (again) about ride like a pro and the fact that he should go out with me to learn how to handle his bike before he goes with a more experienced group who just assume he can handle his bike. He now swears he is going to get the video (and maybe even buy some protective gear. But we will see.
It sounds like your neighbour didn't focus on where he wanted the bike to go, Always look where you want the bike to go, and it will. If you panick a bit and focus on the shoulder or where you don't want to go, you will end up there.
The Ride Like A Pro video explains a lot of those things and really helps you become a better rider.
The protective gear is also a great idea, he's lucky he didn't knock his melon on the ground or a tree during his mishap.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ken

Went to an OldTimer car show on Sunday and was heading back to my car when I hear a motorcycle coming...some guy on an apparently old Harley. He got his display paper and then headed up the road to an intersection where he made a U-turn....with his left foot down and a very wide arch. Ugh. The next day I ride the bike to the same spot and did the same thing and did the turn in half the space....yeah, that Ride Like a Pro is a really useful video and I've felt more confident in my abilities ever since I watched it and practiced somewhat. I certainly don't the the skills that they display in that video, but I don't embarrass myself either.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhamlin
A couple weeks ago, I started a thread about an HD-Rider who did a very confident u-turn in a crowded, busy gas station. In the discussion, Ponch mentioned that highway driving doesn't necessarily transfer to slow-speed skills. That definitely applies to me. I CAN pull off some nice tight slow speed turns, but not dependably enough to have attempted one like the HD-Rider.

So I finally broke down and bought a Ride-Like-a-Pro DVD. I watched it and yesterday went out to a school parking lot to do some of the exercises. I've improved already and noticed a tendency that, because I seldom practiced with discipline, led to inconsistent tight turn results--which was why the HD-Rider stood out to me.

Yesterday, I had little problem with left turning. Right turns, however, fluctuated because my throttle control fluctuates when the right grip comes in close to my body, I keep less control on the gas than when my arm is extended on a left turn. I guess it's the angle of my wrist. Anyway, once aware of the issue, I started improving immediately.

I've picked up most of the Motorman's tips from YouTube clips previously, but having the full package and following the exercises worked very well.

I recommend.
That's good to hear. I have been wanting that video, and it's nice to know it works.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

I got it before I got the Nomad. Once I got the Nomad, my first trip out was to a parking lot to practice the basics. It taught me a number of things, and I should practice more. It helps build my confidence in handling the bike.

I strongly recommend that every one view it at least once.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I bought the "Ride like BD" video and now I ride just like him!!!

Everyone should practice Bob... I tried to convinced TomK to go to anaheim stadium and a off weekend and practice makine figure 8's and long sweeping turns in either direction so he'll know how far over the Nomad can go before he touches something.. He told me I was crazy and that his Nomad would slid out and crash!

Until you learn your bikes limits you'll never trust it when in an emergency like full lock up or going too fast into a turn....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

Not long after I got my Nomad, but after practicing, I went into a curve on a twistie way too hot. Forcing myself to keep my cool and not looking at the side of the mountain that was getting way too close, but turning my head and focusing around the curve, I scraped the floor boards, but cleared the curve with room to spare. While scraping the floor boards was a little startling, knowing the bike would handle it sure helped.

Had I not had the basics and followed thru it would have been a disaster.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #9

I would agree on the RLP videos. With practice your skills will improve immediately.

I would also suggest everyone take a Rider's Edge course at a local HD dealer. Yeah... it's at HD; but it is a top-notch course that will add additional skills RLP doesn't cover.

You will not be harassed at the course because you ride another brand bike. I have taken two classes there. There were plenty of other bike brands, and not a single harassing word was said. Everyone was there to learn, not harass.

I highly suggest it along with the RLP video set.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Advanced Member

The one thing much better than the video is actually taking one of the RLAP classes. My first long(ish) ride on the Nomad was to Michigan for a class with Gary the spring I got the Nomad (aware of my initial limitations). All of the exercises in the video are set up on a course and he was a great coach getting me to lean through the figure 8, turning my head and everything else discussed in the video.

Started out a little tentative for about the first hour but once I saw how to apply everything, and it worked, I was having a blast at the end of it and was sad to see it end. Did learn you can do full lock turns on the Nomad in the figure 8 and not worry about dropping it.

Nice thing is that I use most of what I was taught every time I go for a ride!!! Would love to see a group from Kawanow in that area get together for a class, I would take it again just for the guided practice!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Sounds like a video I need to purchase. I tend to do everything safely and not push the limits. Need to give it a try.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #12

I bought the Ride-Like-a- Pro DVD last winter and was chaffing at the bit to get out and try the skills the demonstrate. Even bought a couple dozen tennis balls that I cut in half to set up my own course.

The DVD was great and very helpful; however what it did for me was show me how much I needed to improve. So a couple of weeks ago I took a course offered by Riders Training Institue in Toronto - Technical Skills. It was awesome and really helped me improve.

I too was very tentative, first was just the lack of skill, second was it was "pis**ng" rain all day and third was after the first hour my throttle grip broke and I had to do all the exercises while trying to keep it in place.

I am so glad it was raining because the instructors showed no mercy and I did things in the rain that I wouldn't have thought I could do on dry pavement. There were only 3 of us that showed up for the class and there was only one bike that dumped - not mine!

I heartly endorse both of these things for all riders - new and old alike.

Just my two cents worth... ;)
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
2008 - 900 Vulcan Classic
1958 HD HydraGlide

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #13

I have the video, and it does show you how to make tight maneuvers with some practice. Every once in a while I watch it just to refresh a few things.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I have the video, and it does show you how to make tight maneuvers with some practice. Every once in a while I watch it just to refresh a few things.
Well, it's not like you're going to run out and practice right now, is it?

Keep getting better.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Sounds like a video I need to purchase. I tend to do everything safely and not push the limits. Need to give it a try.
You are up early?!
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11