Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Oil Site Glass/Oil Color/Possible Problem ?

Gentlemen, I appreciate your knowledge and expertise on this concern. I have a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600.
A few days ago I checked the antifreeze level and it was low (Previous owner advised me that in 18,000 kms., he had not added antifreeze or brake fluid-I just bought the bike this spring) I added a small amount of antifreeze to the reservoir-from the low mark to the full mark and after checking today on my return from a 65Km. ride I checked the antifreeze fluid level and it was down very slightly but right on the top level mark.
Color is good and does not appear to have anything in it but antifreeze. I checked the oil level and could not see a distinct level mark as previously it was right in the middle of the site glass (Bike is upright and level). I waited a couple of hours and the site glass looked full but was hard to tell if it was full or empty (No oil leaks to be found anywhere) and appeared to be a bit of an off color rather than normal oil color.
I started the bike and watched the site glass, the oil went down to where a line could be seen at the bottom of the site glass. I turned the bike off and the oil rose in the site glass to the top and there is no line between the 2 site marks. Oil fills the site glass. There is no space at the top of the site glass at all.
-An oil change is a must but the previous owner advised he had just completed a change. Does anyone know what might be happening -or suggestions and if this should be checked by the dealer for other problems? Appreciate your advice on what might be happening and what action to take. Thanks! Dennis

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

*2007 Nomad Black & Titanium - Dennis -Evansburg, Alberta Canada KawaNOW #01721

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Sounds like it has to much oil if I'm reading your post correctly.I over filled mine once and drained a bit from the oil screen plug until the level was just below the full mark.Also i used a small bubble level on the swing arm to make sure the bike is truly level.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

Thanks will give it a try, I am just a little concerned about the color of the oil in the site glass. It was right in the middle of the site glass until today. Den

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Don't know about the color Den but I would drain some out and then you can see the oil better.If it is milky or cloudy you may have water in the oil.At any rate an oil change may be a good idea.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Pull the filter off and pour some oil into your drain pan. If the oil is good then put the filter back on and check the level. If you think it is high, just empty the filter before reinstalling then top off the level. Don't forget to run it before checking. That way you fill the filter with oil.

It kind of sounds like your filter is draining back into the sump.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #6

Thanks MT!!! Do you think there might be antifreeze in the oil ?Den

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #7

You will have to look at some of the oil to determine that.

But most likely the reserve would be completely empty if you had a leak into the oiling system.

I still think the filter is letting go of some of the oil.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #8

If in dought I would go ahead and do a fresh oil and filter change anyway It can' hurt anything and then you will start from fresh and will have peace of mind,Add recommended amount of oil for you're bike!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #9

A slight lean off center and the oil level will read very differently, sounds like you know that though. I found that just a 3 degree angle right will look over filled and 3 degrees left will look empty. I hate the oil sight glass on the Nomad, bad location and not accurate. I always check the oil when I clean the bike on my lift. I put a 3 foot level across the luggage rack and level out the bike the same every time. May not be completely accurate but repeatability is the main concern by checking it the same way every time.
You say the oil is a little off color, not sure what you mean but like others have said when in dought change the oil.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #10

Thanks for the info guys, will let you know what happens, as you stated, the reservoir for the antifreeze should be empty if a problem there. Hope no leaks. Have a safe day. Dennis

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Get yourself a telescoping inspection mirror and carry it around in your saddlebag. Sit astride the bike, level it with your legs and use the mirror to read the oil level in the sight glass.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #12

Your anti-freeze and oil levels just need to be roughly midway be between the marks (bike level). There is no reason to bring it all the way up to EXACTLY the top mark. As long as fluids are between the marks you're good.
The off color could be the type of oil used (Rotella T6 diesel looks different then LUCAS Semi-synthetic).
A quality filter with an anti-drainback valve, such as WIX 51358 or NAPA 1358 should also be used.
Probably wouldn't hurt to change your final drive gear oil at the same time, I always do both together. Then you know your good.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I'm with CactusJack get you a telescoping mirror and sit on the bike on level ground. Hold the mirror and check your oil that way. If it appears to have too much oil drain some of it out. Don't won't to blow any seals with too much oil in it. I would change the oil to be on the safe side and inspect the oil that comes out in a clean drain pan. Just my thought.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #14

I always use a measuring cup when I add the oil while doing a change. It takes 3.3 litres to fill with a new filter installed.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorNomad
GI waited a couple of hours and the site glass looked full but was hard to tell if it was full or empty (No oil leaks to be found anywhere) and appeared to be a bit of an off color rather than normal oil color.
Here is my opinion. If you had anti-freeze leaking into your oil you would not say 'off color'. You would say 'holy crud my oil looks like runny baby poo'. Also the loss of anti-freeze would probably be more dramatic.

Your oil is overfilled or you had the lean off a little on the bike. At the same time your coolant cap under the tank or the hoses that connect to it are leaking just a little bit...it hits the engine and burns off and you never see the leak. Very common on this bike, probably the front hose. MaKaw did not tighten those hoses very well.

Drain some oil and get that squared away and pull the tank and look for leaks. Pulling the tank is not as hard as it sounds if you have not done it. Very easy job.