Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Advanced Member

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

OK, looking for gear-head feedback. Got into a discussion with a buddy of mine the other day why a V-Twin (Nomad) needs 4 spark plugs. A normal consideration would be one plug per valve, why does our bikes (and some other metric bikes) have 4 plugs, while all new Harley's and some metrics have only the 2 plugs? ??? This has been bugging me and I don't know the answer....do you?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

We have two plugs per cylinder because of the head design, one plug is not sufficient enough to give the fuel charge a proper burn. This is because of the way the valves are positioned in the head.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #3

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
We have two plugs per cylinder because of the head design, one plug is not sufficient enough to give the fuel charge a proper burn. This is because of the way the valves are positioned in the head.
shoulda bought a Hemi.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

A Nomad with a 5.7L Hemi.....now that's and idea.
More Power!!!

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Advanced Member

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby
A Nomad with a 5.7L Hemi.....now that's and idea.
More Power!!!
No that would "Mopar" :)

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

I saw a bike today at the Tommy Frank annual motorcycle rally that had a BIG Block Chevy with pipes no longer than most Harleys sounded loud but good. It looked good except for the large gas tank, it looked to be probably 10 gallons or more, very odd to say the least. Rear tire was a very low profile car tire and the frame was, well the best I can discribe it is Huge. There were no highway pegs on this rig.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Advanced Member

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis49
I saw a bike today at the Tommy Frank annual motorcycle rally that had a BIG Block Chevy with pipes no longer than most Harleys sounded loud but good. It looked good except for the large gas tank, it looked to be probably 10 gallons or more, very odd to say the least. Rear tire was a very low profile car tire and the frame was, well the best I can discribe it is Huge. There were no highway pegs on this rig.
Sounds like you saw a BOSS HOSS and yes they are a production bike and YES they have a small block 350 that you ride. Apparently they don't ride that bad...well OK for what it is....just don't do any mall parking lot maneuvers with it.

As for the 2 spark plugs per cylinder, Steve has it right that it is for efficiency in many cases due to cylinder head configurations. But not always. Some bikes use it as the wasted spark using 2 coils can be used to burn the fuel mixture more cleanly and therefore reduce emissions as well. also for some the explosions happen at the same time per cylinder and the wave from the outside inward from both sides caused the wave to meet in the middle of the piston (or close to it) which helps with the downward force on the top of the piston on the power stroke. There is also a 2nd spark which occurs on the exhaust I think as well which helps to burn any left over hydrocarbons and this helps with reduction in some pollutants.
This is what was explained to me by a long time bike mechanic, and some of the engineering in these engines. Some of it maybe propaganda and some of it is likely fact....

Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Sounds like you saw a BOSS HOSS and yes they are a production bike and YES they have a small block 350 that you ride. Apparently they don't ride that bad...well OK for what it is....just don't do any mall parking lot maneuvers with it.
[/quote]

This bike had a Big block in it not a small block. I wouldn't have posted about a Boss Hoss, everyone has seen one of them, this is the first Big block I have seen on two wheels. The guy riding this had no problems going slow he pulled it up slow turned feet up before putting feet down to back it to the curb. He must have many miles on it.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #9

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

BOSS HOSS has been selling 501 versions of their bikes for several years now. The first time I saw one was in 2007. It was a 501 with nitrous on the showroom floor. They had bikes as well as trikes with that set up.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

twin spark plugs end up being used on engines who's head design and valve angle are poorly designed. Twin plugs allow a more complete burn because of this design...

show me a big bore diameter engine that runs two plugs and it will be a low power engine.

Nomads are over square meaning the bore is larger than the stroke of the motor. Our bore diameters are the same as a 110 cu in Screamin' Eagle.

Technically our Nomads could have easily been set up to run like a M109 Suk.... big bore shorter stroke more RPM's.

After seening all the low RPM strong torquing V-Twins out there I'm at a loss why the Nomad is a big bore V-twin...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #11

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
twin spark plugs end up being used on engines who's head design and valve angle are poorly designed. Twin plugs allow a more complete burn because of this design...

show me a big bore diameter engine that runs two plugs and it will be a low power engine.

Nomads are over square meaning the bore is larger than the stroke of the motor. Our bore diameters are the same as a 110 cu in Screamin' Eagle.

Technically our Nomads could have easily been set up to run like a M109 Suk.... big bore shorter stroke more RPM's.

After seening all the low RPM strong torquing V-Twins out there I'm at a loss why the Nomad is a big bore V-twin...
i have to agree on this dual plugs make up for a design deficiency in the heads. they make up for a very slow burn.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #12

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Look at one of the heads from the bottom and you will see that the ideal place for the plug would be dead center, like a hemi.

How would you change it?

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #13

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
Look at one of the heads from the bottom and you will see that the ideal place for the plug would be dead center, like a hemi.

How would you change it?

MT
Better question to ask is how would you change the spark plugs.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Spark plug placement is not the issue .... It's the piston crown design as it relates to valve angle and the shape of the heads thats at issue. Triump'sh 1600 thunderbird parallel twin has more compression than the Nomad because they have the proper shaped heads, and stroke for the type of power it makes...and runs on regular gas...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Top Contributor

V-Twin 2 and 4 plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
shoulda bought a Hemi.
I watched a show last week where they were restoring a 1950's single cylinder Matchless Motorcycle for a guy. When they took it apart, they found it had a hemisherical piston that provided a lot of power....ala Mopar! Wonder why today's designs don't incorporate that feature?
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016