Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

I just put on JTD lowers this winter, along with a reckless fairing. Today was the first day it got pretty hot, low 80's. My legs about roasted even with the vents open. Bike is not running hot and is actually cooler than last year with the addition of a power comander. I had the little vents open. Maybe I just notice the heat more than other people but it was not pleasant at all. Even on the free way the underside of my right thigh was not happy.

Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas before I take them back off?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

I don't do well hot, and today was in the high 60's and raining. I was hot riding with engine guard covers, a snap on style cover that pop off easy.

You might remove what you have and buy a set of these covers. The brand name on mine are Desertdawgs.

I use them in cooler weathers and or rain, but today it made heat in the rain. They are not as nice looking as you have, but I have burned all the hairs off my legs from the knee down, and it appears they will never grow back.

I really like when temps get in the upper 70's i can pull these off and catch the breeze.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

In the winter, I use extra large lowers and engine chaps. When the weather warms, it all comes off. I want all the wind I can get in the summer.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #4

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Ive always had them on the bike and have never ridden without them, on a 100 degree day it does get a bit hot, but when on the highway, I find them ok. Ilike the protection they offer in the cold and especially in the rain.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Another idea I am tossing around is pulling both header pipes and having them ceramic coated. That should cut the heat down considerably and still allow the chrome to go back over it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Ring how many days in a row do you see 100 degrees F? This guy is gonna look like a hairless roast of beef muffin..........

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

First of all 80s is not hot. LOL.
I have a post about my lowers (Premuex) causing not only heat (for me) but also negatively effecting my mpg. I had my lowers on for over a year and my mileage had got down to around 32-34 mpg. It was also getting hot for me when the temps are in the 100s. I recently removed my lowers and not only am I cooler, but my mpg is back up to 35+ mpg. I think my situation was also the chuckster intake not getting enough air because of the lowers.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmjr77
First of all 80s is not hot.
I know, that is my worry. It isn't even July yet, let alone August. I am going to drop the 100 bucks on getting them ceramic coated. Even if that does not make it good I will be even happier when I pull the lowers off. I also think maybe I over reacted....like I said it was the first 'hot' day. Today I road around town, lots of lights and it was still low 80's and it did not annoy me as much as before.

Maybe the long winter made me forget that heat from the engine is a fact of life on big iron bikes.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Get me over 76 degrees and all I am good for is drinking somebody else beers man

I went thru Az in Oct of the year and it was too hot to suit me then. I can't see how anyone can do anything out in summer there... The sun there seems to be loaded with teeth.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

It does get a mite bit warm down here, yesterdays ride up to Prescott was ok, coming back it was about 95 in Wickenburg. The cooling vests do help some. But when it gets over 100 it is just plain miserable.

But if you want to get to the cooler altitudes, you have to put up with some discomfort.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Az is a strange place for a NH Yankee fer sure. I was in both of those towns, then went up thru Jerome, Oak Canyon, into Williams, thence to the largest gravel pit in the world. It rained up there, so it was cooler. Hit on Flag for a few days on the way to NM. Now NM is a really strange place..... Big lava fields and just strange.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik
I just put on JTD lowers this winter, along with a reckless fairing. Today was the first day it got pretty hot, low 80's. My legs about roasted even with the vents open. Bike is not running hot and is actually cooler than last year with the addition of a power comander. I had the little vents open. Maybe I just notice the heat more than other people but it was not pleasant at all. Even on the free way the underside of my right thigh was not happy.

Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas before I take them back off?
I just this spring installed an HC and removed the TUBE from HELL along with coasters. I have a set of larger lowers (like Moxy) on my bike that has an HD style fairing. I noticed on the ride yesterday that my right inner thigh was getting the HEAT from the rear pipe coming off it straight up. I don't have lowers on my bike just the wind deflectors like last year. So I THINK the air is flowing across the REAR cylinder past my butt on that side and when I stop you can really feel the heat there a lot more then before. So it would seem to me that the flow is better (or different?) around the motor now and maybe that is what is causing it. I do not remember feeling the heat there prior to this last year and the only change this year is the coasters and the HC/TFI put on. So my guess is maybe your having the same thing and just a bit compounded by the lowers?
Do you have deflectors on? if you do take them off and see how it is?
Maybe worth a try before you take off your JTD lowers and send them to me

If you figure it out let me know.

Scott

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)
So my guess is maybe your having the same thing and just a bit compounded by the lowers?
Your description is exactly right, there is no air flow between the lowers and the back bag anymore, so that heat is rolling right up on me. I took the fork deflectors off in the middle of my ride Saturday and it did help a little, but as soon as I hit the freeway my helmet was dancing all over an my jacket was blown up like a giant balloon. I am actually thinking maybe a little deflector on the bottom of the fairing to push air down towards my feet might help. I may rig something up with some plastic and give that a try.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

I only have the stock lowers and riding here in Alabama doesn't bother me. When I stop at traffic lights it does though. Once on the move again I'm fine.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

Lowers + 80= Too Hot?

I have the JTD lowers and with the vents open I am fine with temps up in the 90°s - at least not any less comfortable when moving than without them. I don't ever ride in shorts.